Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hardshell ski pants.

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a reasonable quality pair of hardshell ski pants. I definitely run hot so bulky and super insulated doesn't work for me.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are size medium then take a look at Sportpursuit - they have got several arcteryx options (samples of this years model all in M) at 60% off.
I've just bought a pair of "sabre" goretex pro hardshell pants - pretty nice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry "stinger" not sabre but they have those too
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Failing that Marmot "Spire" are working well so far (120 days and counting)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
P.S. "Shell" pants (as the name suggests) are, by definition, not insulated...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As per my original post; I'm looking for shell pants not bulky/insulated pants. Both the Acertyx and Marmots look spot on. Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for the Arc'teryx option-I have the Sabre version and has done well for the last few years. Quite a wide leg which may be a good or bad thing depending on your view!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've had a few pairs of shell pants, my made to measure ones from Outaware are by far the best fitting and most comfortble. I still havn't quite got over how much they cost, but they are very robust, so hopefully they will last long enough for me to get my money's worth...

http://outaware.com/Winter%20Garments.htm

I got mine made with a longer bib and a transceiver pocket.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have to say I used to get through shell pants really quickly - slashed up with edges etc. My arcteryx bibs (theta I think?) are now 10 years old and still in really good shape. It may partly be that I have fewer spectaculars these days but what seemed expensive at the time seems very good value at this point. I only bought the stingers because they were discounted and I fancied something less monochrome Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've only worn shells for as long as I can remember. If it's super cold, I wear leggings under them. Look for the highest waterproofing and breathability ratings. 20k/20k should be the minimum but ideally go for something in Goretex Pro.

I bought an Oakley outfit in Goretex Pro two years ago. It's the best thing to ever happen to ski/board clothing.

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/brands/gore-tex/gore-tex-pro
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stinger bibs - indestructable.
Would jump on a new pair (or just the pants) if I saw them cheap.
Only wish they had a dedicated beacon pocket.... thinking of stitching a climbing sling into mine in fact.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jeepers @Oceanic, industrial or what?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
Jeepers @Oceanic, industrial or what?

I got mine made without the heavy duty 'Magnum' reinforcement on the knees and seat. They still have reinforced patches, but the patches are made from a lighter fabric.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I spent last winter in some Sweet Protection Salvations. Pretty rad looking and certainly did the business. Prior to that I was using Noronnas which were harder wearing and probably a had bit more insulation.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I run hot too but have found that softshell pants work much better. For touring and also warm weather skiing the Trangoworld ski/mountaineering pants I have are perfect. Replacable gaiters, kevlar reinforcements etc. Mountaineering kit is often very well suited to skiing and lasts for ages too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@esaw1, have a look on Sportspursuit uk they have some good shell pants and bibs at the minute decent prices.
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
I run hot too but have found that softshell pants work much better. For touring and also warm weather skiing the Trangoworld ski/mountaineering pants I have are perfect. Replacable gaiters, kevlar reinforcements etc. Mountaineering kit is often very well suited to skiing and lasts for ages too Toofy Grin

Trangoworld stuff looks good. Which model do you have? Do they have edge protection panels on the inner ankle area? (Has anyone tried stitching on some protection material? I'm pretty handy with the sewing machine as it happens).
snow conditions
Columbia Titanium Omnitec - Only really need thermal long johns if skiing somewhere high and cold in January.

10 years old, expensive at the time, no cuts or gashes, protected in the right spots.

Brilliant and, with the jacket, has proven to be the best value gear I have ever bought.
snow report
@Themasterpiece, I can't see which model it is but it has the protection panels on the ankle and also the internal gaiters. It was from about 4 years ago so looks like that particular model is no longer made. They have a few designed for skiing though http://www.trangoworld.com/en/subcategories/winter-2016-collection/mountaineering-clothing/man/pants/859/3899
snow conditions
@Scarpa, JanetS uses Trangoworld pants for touring and wanted to use them for warmer weather skiing, but she found that while the internal gaiters and zipped ankles fitted over her touring boots fine, they are too close fitting to go over her alpine boots with zipfits (she does have sturdy calves). Something to watch out for, as you don't aleays have your boots with you while trying on trousers!
ski holidays
@RobinS, Yes, they are pretty tight. In my alpine boots I can just get them over the tops with the zips undone but my boots are pretty low profile.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy