Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative to Edge and Wax?

Poster: A snowHead
I've got a new pair of skis I was looking to get waxed before their first use. We're up in Crawley, not far from the recently departed Edge and Wax, so had been planning to use them. In their absence, any recommendations for a decent store to use in the Surrey/Sussex area?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. do they need to be waxed? I think some skis arrive ready to go.

2. no particular skills required so any shop can do it e.g. slush'n'rubble
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for replying so quickly. When I bought them, I was assured they were ready to go, but reading some threads in this forum, there seem to be a lot of folks that recommend a decent wax before taking them out. It's a pair of Rossignol Basalt 88s if that makes any difference!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The factory wax job is normally the best they will ever get. Keep it for as long as you can.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bar shaker wrote:
The factory wax job is normally the best they will ever get. Keep it for as long as you can.

rolling eyes mmm not sure id agree with that, however they should be good to go fresh out of the box.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@bar shaker, really? Why would the factory go to the expensive and time of a high quality "hand job"?

I've always been told to wax new skis, and our resident guru Jon agrees
Quote:
This step for new skis only. New skis arrive at the store with plenty of graphite dust in the pores and coarse microscopic hairs are left on the base from the original grind. The factory wax is also for protection rather than performance.

@timirvine1977, try Jon - http://www.thepisteoffice.com/ I think he used to have a way to courier them to/from him but not sure if he still does or not?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check out http://www.powertoedge.co.uk/ I haven't used them yet, but will. Glen is a member here and was trained by Jon. You might also want to check out this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127559&highlight=
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@timirvine1977, Bit far away from you -- but SnowLab at Knockhatch are a nice bunch of people. They'd certainly be able to put some wax on. Also Europa Ski lodge at Sandown Park.

Your skis will be fine without --- but will slide a little better with more thorough wax than the factory will have done. Not really needed, but (IMV) very nice to have.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the far end of Sussex, but used these guys a few years back:

http://rinskis.com/workshop-servicing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If all you want is them waxed - why not do it yourself ? The Piste Office will supply the necessary.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with @deerman if you've got the space you could buy an iron, brush, scraper and wax for not masses more than paid for. I went that route and really enjoy doing mine. Good luck with your hunt

Edit:ok working it out on my head it's going to be a reasonable bit more than a paid for service but you'll get the money back after a few waxes. I go to the snowdome a lot so it works out for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go on a course and learn to wax them yourself. Then you will be able to control the quality rather than leaving it to chance. There are a number of variables to consider when you leave others to tune your precious skis.
I recommend The Piste Office for honest, non-biased, up-to-date, tuition.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd be interested to see what others' experiences are, but after a trip to Avoriaz I would always consider getting the skis waxed in resort: Mrs EWW had her skis done in the UK and really struggled on the flats compared to the rest of the group.

By Tuesday she'd had enough, local ski shop re-waxed them then super-speedy after that!

Given the variables involved in wax selection, does "local" knowledge and/or current snow conditions make that much of a difference?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiingsteve wrote:
Go on a course and learn to wax them yourself. Then you will be able to control the quality rather than leaving it to chance. There are a number of variables to consider when you leave others to tune your precious skis.
I recommend The Piste Office for honest, non-biased, up-to-date, tuition.

never heard of anyone doing or offering a course on how to wax boards/skis.

5 minutes on youtube will give you enough info to get started
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any ski servicing course will teach you how to properly wax a pair of skis. I actually went on a day course at Edge & Wax and learnt lots. I now not only wax my own skis but also those of the rest of my family and my skiing friends.
ski holidays
EarthWindandWater wrote:
I'd be interested to see what others' experiences are, but after a trip to Avoriaz I would always consider getting the skis waxed in resort: Mrs EWW had her skis done in the UK and really struggled on the flats compared to the rest of the group.

Given the variables involved in wax selection, does "local" knowledge and/or current snow conditions make that much of a difference?

Just sounds like a lazy scrape, any wax left on the skis will indeed slow you down.

You get lazy technicians in Europe as well as the UK...all the more reason to service your own!
latest report
@EarthWindandWater,

Quote:

Given the variables involved in wax selection

Most shops will use universal wax anyway... no variables at all.
latest report
Factory wax is just to stop the base drying out during transportation, they just run them through a machine so never as good as a proper wax. I usually give my snowboards and daughters skis several waxes before they see snow.
snow conditions
I'm very close to Crawley and will be waxing near end of Jan, end of Feb and Mid March. If you struggle to find somewhere I don't mind adding yours to the pile.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy