Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Freeride Ski's

Poster: A snowHead
@Garethr,

I'm more like 77-78kg before I put my gear on and am a stronger skier than you (by your description) - I ski at DIN 8. I might put them up a bit more if I was going to ski something where losing a ski could have very nasty consequences. While you are right that you want them to come off in high speed falls it is worth considering that LOADS of bad ski injuries happen in stupid little very low speed falls when the bindings fail to release. Just a thought.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for heads up @jedster. That wasn't something I was not really conscious of and will definitely keep that in mind when setting up the bindings.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, +1 , i ski at a good level and am the same weight , my din is 6.5 ( +1 for sketchy situations ) .

@Garethr, if ur buying in zermatt , have a good chat with the ski shop and make sure you are given the correct din for all situations snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @Dabber. I'll have a good chat with the shop and go by there recommendations for the DIN setting.

Super excited! Can't wait to go next weekend and get them! Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With the exception of any shop in Mürren in Inferno week, or those that I have skied with, I invariably find shop techs set my bindings a little light.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry it took a couple days to get the pics up. As promised, here is a photo of the new ski's (hopefully it worked). I'm happy to report they're just as amazing I remembered them when I tested them. For a wide ski they can carve nicely, although where they get really fun is when you drop off piste.

They handled the bumps, chopped up snow and powder beautifully! Really a joy to ski on! Very Happy

The conditions in Zermatt at the weekend were incredible, beautiful blue bird days and LOTS of fresh snow still around. Even managed to find some untracked powder Very Happy Very Happy

If you're in the market for a new freeride ski, I would highly recommend getting hold of pair to test. I'm 5' 9" (175cm) and got the 181cm length which I find to be just about perfect for me.

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywmVrtEZRWmX0hCYWsyRUdheTQ/view?usp=sharing[/img]
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not sure why the photo isn't displaying. I checked the FAQ and followed the instructions (as far as I can tell). Anyone have any tips to get photos displaying in the thread.

if you right click and then "open in new tab" you can see the photo btw.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You're trying to link to a Google drive page with an image tag. Really you should upload the image here if you want it to display, but failing that, I've fixed your link: New skis
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Scarlet, I tried uploading to the snowMedia zone and sharing that link. Hopefully it worked this time.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Finally got it figured out! Very Happy

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think that a lot of the DIN setting decisions need to be made on what type of terrain you are skiing on. I have found that with undulating terrain and forest skiing I hit a lot more bumps and holes and need the DIN set higher to avoid popping out frequently. I am 76kg unladen and have my all mountain skis at 9 and my fatties at 9.5. As most of my off piste crashes have been caused by a ski popping off I think that the increased risk for slower falls is outweighed by the improved security.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

think that a lot of the DIN setting decisions need to be made on what type of terrain you are skiing on. I have found that with undulating terrain and forest skiing I hit a lot more bumps and holes and need the DIN set higher to avoid popping out frequently

I know what you mean about that kind of terrain although my falls tend to be tip dive related due to pilot error - weight getting a bit far forward heading into dips and holes. I tend to get fired out in those circumstances but I can't honestly say I shouldn't be! Very Happy
However that has been on traditional camber skis not the big floaty boats you ski on Toofy Grin
And given I'm just getting a pair of those cheap 13/14 redeemers form Jon (only 180 but still) I don't expect that'll be so much of a problem in future Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BTW - those Elans look nice@Garethr, may be a bit similar to the Dynastar Cham series
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @jedster. They are indeed really very nice! Very Happy

The Dynastar Cham's were also on my shortlist. I spoke to a number of people about them while some people loved them, quite a few mentioned to me that they tend by a little tail happy and slidey at the back end. The shop I bought the Elans from didn't stock the Cham's for that reason actually.

This might be a little off topic. How often do you wax ski's? I've read anything from everyday to once per season.

This season I'll likely ski 30-40 days. Across pretty much any type of snow type you can imagine (as much as I would love to avoid ice, it happens at some time or another). Skiing in the Alps Mostly Switzerland with trips to Austria and France as well.

I'm really keen to keep the ski's in top condition and would love to have input from the deep base of knowledge here on Snowheads.

I was thinking about putting them in for a full service before each season, then during the season using Toko Jetstream Block Red when I have time and the Toko Express for a quick pre ski wax up.
Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
snow conditions
Honestly I'm probably waxing them every 20 days (or once a season if used less) and wiping them with zardos notwax from time to time in between. But I've recently bought the kit from spyderjon to do my own servicing (family now has 8 pairs of skis so costs of shop servicing has mounted up) so I might start waxing them more frequently.
If I'm not too busy having a nice drink that is Embarassed
snow conditions
@Garethr, I tend to just have them waxed when I have the edges sharpened - which seems reasonable. And if I am feeling precious summer wax at season end...
latest report
I do my own and wax from 1 to 2 weeks use depending on the snow and temps. You can usually feel when they start getting sticky or notice a little fuzzing on the bases if you leave it way too long. I use Zardoz too.
snow conditions
Thanks @jedster, @under a new name, and @Scarpa. Think I'll service/wax every 20 days of use plus a little top up with Zardoz or Toko in between. The top finish waxes are really inexpensive so I believe it is worth experimenting to see what difference they make.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy