Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Les Contamines etc 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Just seen that the Les Contamines website is reporting that it will open early on 2/3 December.
We won't be there until Boxing Day but still excited!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Massively jealous given our snowfree xmas week last year....

(So much so that I have already looked up last minute deals for this xmas).

Enjoy!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeee haaa, I am going out that weekend to catch end of my apartment refurbishment & make sure it is ok for the family Christmas trip, might have to test the new ski's as well. Bit rude to be out there and not to.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
without spamming too much, our place is currently not booked over xmas (see signature)
Pretty optimistic we will get some last minute interest this year Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Looking over to the Belleville (sunny) side of the Col du Joly. Looks like runs down are covered.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I walked up to Bettix yesterday and it was like spring, all the pistes are 25 feet wide artificial snow in a dessert of green, lots of people walking about with skis, a very weird experience
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So whats it like now in Les Contamines, see theres been a bit of snow thereabouts. Considering a couple of cheeky days there this weekend? Anyone there now?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was there on sunday. 14 runs open, surprisingly nice conditions on most of them. I'd not visited before and was impressed at the level of work they were putting into keeping runs open. Didn't notice any new snow tho...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowdave wrote:
I was there on sunday. 14 runs open, surprisingly nice conditions on most of them. I'd not visited before and was impressed at the level of work they were putting into keeping runs open. Didn't notice any new snow tho...

Cheers, some snow appeared today per the weather reports and forecast for Wed & Thur then sunshine on the weekend, thus the attraction!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any update on conditions at the moment, looking at options for 21st Jan so wondered if there is any new snowfall and what's in the horizon? Many thanks Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@maltababy, hopeing for more snow, I am taking friends out for weekend 20th
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowed last night and still falling this morning in Les Contamines.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Awesome. Slowly but surely building. I'm not out there until the beginning of March so there is another 6-7 weeks of snow growth - here's hoping by then the conditinos will be perfect!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We went to Les Contamines yesterday. The snow cover on the runs with snow cannons was OK with a few icy patches, very thin elsewhere but the resort crew have done very well given the lack of snow overall.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Smile
ski holidays
I'm out for a long weekend next Friday. Question for the locals: if the current forecast is correct and there's a decent amount of snow over the next couple of days, how much more do you think they'll have open by the 20th?

Nice to see the webcam pics looking wintery, even down at St Gervais. Very Happy
latest report
@RobMcQ, might see you out there, if it snows as forecast I can see all but the StG home run being open.
ski holidays
Can anybody tell me what the colour scheme means for lifts on the interactive St Gervais map? I guess green is open and I think yellow is closed. What's orange?
ski holidays
Planned to open. So will be open tomorrow.
ski holidays
Thanks.
snow report
I'm now very excited about next weekend. Webcams look fantastic today. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Glad the snow finally seems to have arrived. Hopefully it continues over the next few weeks. Another decent dump will hopefully see the reminaing lifts opened. Quick question for those more familiar with the area, which ski pass do you buy? We are heading for a weekend, staying in Megeve, and planning to get 3 days skiing in. Wont get over to Chamonix unless conditions are so bad that they warrant it.

The Megeve website - http://megeve.com has 3 types of lift passes, Mont Blanc Unlimited; Evasion Mont Blanc; and Portes du Mont Blanc. Am I right in understanding that the one we want is the Evasion Mont Blanc?
latest report
@FrediKanoute, yes the Evasion Mont Blanc pass should cover what you need, assuming you don't go to Chamonix.
ski holidays
The live piste map shows that St Gervais is open. Am I right in thinking that's the run back down to the village? If so, can anybody tell me what it's actually like? I've read that it isn't pisted. Is that right? Would it be skiable for a couple of average intermediates?
latest report
@RobMcQ, cant say I ever done it, in fact I have never seen it open. it does have cannons so might be piste. I have rwad it is a difficult red but I am unsure how it works as it crosses the road that goes up to Bettix & that is open to traffic.
Hopefully I will be there in time Friday before Le Grange shuts for a beer.
ski holidays
@RobMcQ,

It's actually a nice run although for the bottom quarter it gets a bit fiddly - some narrowing sections and a few places where you have to cross roads (be careful! Can always take your skis off). I think it tends to be a bit pisted - at least a strip. Overall I'd describe it as a somewhat tricky red but mainly because of the last bit. My advice would be to give it a go during the day when its quiet - not make your first time the last run down when it may be busy. It's not open all that often but the low temperatures at the moment mean it should be in condition for the next week at least.

I'm arriving in Les C on Thursday for a long weekend and I'm pretty excited too. Missed xmas due to the poor snow so these will be my first turns of the season - couldn't be much better. Les C has had >120cm at 2000m in the last week - it continues to over deliver on the snow capture in line with its reputation.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 16-01-17 11:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@jedster, I am over with mates this weekend & we are skiing Sat, Sun & managing Monday until 12.30 before 16.45 flight. It is their first time in the area & I think I will take them up to Les C on the Monday.
latest report
@RobMcQ, if it is non-pisted it should say 'non-damee' on this list here: http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=megeve&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr&pdf=true&displayDomaine=0%7C1%7C2%7C3%7C4%7C5%7C6%7C7

I rarely go down to St Gervais but I've skied that run a couple of times and it's fine but I suppose it is a bit fiddly at the bottom.

There's plenty of snow - anything that is closed is not as a result of lack of snow cover. Level here at 1200m is 70cm.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're leaving Monday morning so won't see you on the slopes (suspect it will be quiet enough that we would bump into each other).
I'd never discourage anyone from making a trip to Les Contamines but you are going to have some excellent skiing in St G and Megeve this weekend. The forecast seems to be very cold so the snow should be excellent all the way to the valley and the trees and meadows on Mont Arbois will be superb.
snow conditions
@jedster, @miranda, @Jonny996, Thanks all. From Miranda's link it seems like it's pisted. We'll probably give it a spin early on Friday afternoon, once we make it to the slopes.

It'll be an unexpected bonus if we can ski down to the village every day.
snow report
Hi all - just booked flights arriving into Geneva at 9am this Thursday. I may be a bit of a masochist but is anyone up for a blast around somewhere in the Chamonix valley/Les C/Megeve as soon as I can collect car and get there? If I drive straight to lift, is it realistic to think I'll be ready to ski by 11.45/12? Happy to share half day cost of guide.

I've not yet fixed on where will be staying (likely not Cham but lower (favouring Megeve at the momement), but also open to suggestions if you have any?

Have skis, skins, ski+boot crampons and avi gear so also happy for some guided haute montagne adventure, although mainly looking for powder if there is any to be had.

I posted this on a Cham related thread too given short notice - sorry if you see this twice!

Cheers
ski holidays
recz wrote:
Hi all - just booked flights arriving into Geneva at 9am this Thursday. I may be a bit of a masochist but is anyone up for a blast around somewhere in the Chamonix valley/Les C/Megeve as soon as I can collect car and get there? If I drive straight to lift, is it realistic to think I'll be ready to ski by 11.45/12? Happy to share half day cost of guide.

Cheers

Should be doable. Our flight arrived at 2230, and was a bit late. We had to wait for a hold bag but not for long, neither was the wait for the rental car or the bus to the rental car park long. A bit of fiddling around with the SatNav then a drive in the dark and we got to Les C by 1am without speeding.
latest report
I won't get in to Les c before 6pm tomorrow sadly
snow report
Had a very good day today. Cold temperatures have kept the snow in good condition but it's pretty skied out off piste. A bit of local knowledge and ingenuity got us some nice boot top powder though and this is 5 days after the last snow.
The pistes have excellent cover but after a tough start to the season they've clearly decided to make the most of the fall and have bashed everything very thoroughly. Not icy - firm and grippy. And rather rapid! I'm taking out some more allmountain skis tomorrow.
snow report
Hi,@jedster, @miranda, and anyone else who just might be on line there. Have just made a last minute decision to pop over the Col des Aravis with some friends to La Giettaz for the day. Fully aware there's no fresh stuff anywhere but where would be the nicest blue/red runs for my two intermediate friends? Cheers!
snow report
@gvj, I've not been there this year yet but there are lots of nicely groomed reds from the top of the Torraz chair (Crete and Boenet for example) and even the black Bolets run is pretty tame .. that black is steep-ish but IMO not difficult for intermediates if the snow is ok e.g my 9 yo daughter enjoyed it last year. La Giettaz is one of our favorite days out skiing over from Combloux.
latest report
@bpirkle, thanks. Back now and all went very smoothly. The red run down to Megeve under the little gondolas was interestingly sparse in places, but apart from that the pistes were fine. Found that quite surprising in view of how few snow cannon I noticed in contrast to LGB. A nice day out.
latest report
Hi, we're having a day out from the grand masif tomorrow and heading to the megeve area, accessing the area from the princesse lift. We've been a couple of times but don't really know the area, has anyone got any suggestions for mountain restaurants for a lovely lunch? Thanks in anticipation.
latest report
Hi guys, can anyone recommend the Skiset, ski hire near the Rochebrune chairlift?
snow conditions
Is there anyone on the ground in Evasion at the moment? Fly out tomorrow and weighing up between spending the time in Saint Gervais and driving up the road to Les Contamines to get the best conditions each day. Only there for 3 days on the snow so want to make the most of the time on the hill
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy