Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yes Optimistic

Poster: A snowHead
This thing keeps catching my eye...

Anyone else looked at it or had a go on one?

https://www.yesnowboard.com/products/optimistic
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not the same as previous incarnations, I rode it years ago when it had a pencil graphic. Was an all mountain board then and a lovely stable ride. Tried to buy it the following year and couldn't get one for love or money then they introduced the Big City as its replacement so I bought that. A few years later, the Big City is cancelled and the optimistic comes back!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a lot of hype about the new Optimistic on another snowboard specific forum I visit. An Antipodean guy on there got one at the start of their season and raved about it for all kinds of riding. It sounds like a lot of fun.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Problem is it's a bit expensive just for a 'try'!

Really fancy it though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They're pretty wide, and stiff, so imagine you'll have to be pretty aggressive with it to get the best from it when you're not floating around in the powder. Depends on what you're riding style is...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
They're pretty wide, and stiff, so imagine you'll have to be pretty aggressive with it to get the best from it when you're not floating around in the powder. Depends on what you're riding style is...

Fast carve groomers maybe the odd side hit.

I find with my Jones 156 i just sink in the powder which is really annoying i think im too heavy for it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I generally speaking ride a board that is too short for me so I have to pick and choose what/where I go off piste, generally it needs to be that bit steeper.

not saying that its down to your decisions that's causing you to sink, but well, it might be Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dave_wick wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Fast carve groomers maybe the odd side hit.

I find with my Jones 156 i just sink in the powder which is really annoying i think im too heavy for it.

Jones what? How much do you weigh?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
84kg normal clothes and shoes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dave_wick wrote:

Yeah unless it's a Hovercraft (I'm gonna guess its the mountain twin?) 156 is a little on the short side for powder. I'm 88kg and ride a 161 Yes PYL for freeride and I'd go even bigger if I saw powder more often.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow Hound wrote:
dave_wick wrote:

Yeah unless it's a Hovercraft (I'm gonna guess its the mountain twin?) 156 is a little on the short side for powder. I'm 88kg and ride a 161 Yes PYL for freeride and I'd go even bigger if I saw powder more often.

It's a Aviator Ultra it's an awesome deck on the groomers it blows my mind but the slightest bit of chunder bumpy stuff it's a complete disaster.

I'm looking for something that will give me similar speed but be a bit smoother/damper and doesn't sink like a stone in pow.

I've had a look at the PYL as well how does it carve?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dave_wick wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:
dave_wick wrote:

It's a Aviator Ultra it's an awesome deck on the groomers it blows my mind but the slightest bit of chunder bumpy stuff it's a complete disaster.

I'm looking for something that will give me similar speed but be a bit smoother/damper and doesn't sink like a stone in pow.

I really like it, it's a lot more versatile than I was expecting. Mine's from a couple of seasons ago and apparently a tad stiffer and without the edge tech of the current model. Will it carve like your Jones? I've never ridden an Aviator but I'm more than happy with how the PYL carves. It'll certainly float better.

Sorry to do this to you but if I was in the market now for a similar board (and lets face it I'm always looking at new snowboards) there's a couple of others I'd also be considering along with another PYL; Burton Flight Attendant, Rome Sawtooth & Lago Open Road.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I really would follow the manufacturer's recommendations on size, if you can't ride the board to check.

I rode the Flight Attendant a couple of years ago and didn't think a lot of it, but this stuff is at least as personal as cars, so that's no indicator one way or the other. I was riding strictly powder on it, so it may actually work better in more of a compromise role.

Optimistic: haven't ridden it. You can't really tell from the specs. Zero setback on the stance and no taper (?) so not really a powder board.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow Hound wrote:
dave_wick wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:
dave_wick wrote:

I really like it, it's a lot more versatile than I was expecting. Mine's from a couple of seasons ago and apparently a tad stiffer and without the edge tech of the current model. Will it carve like your Jones? I've never ridden an Aviator but I'm more than happy with how the PYL carves. It'll certainly float better.

Sorry to do this to you but if I was in the market now for a similar board (and lets face it I'm always looking at new snowboards) there's a couple of others I'd also be considering along with another PYL; Burton Flight Attendant, Rome Sawtooth & Lago Open Road.

Dont worry im the same always looking at boards.

I've got a strange and varied short list at the moment!

Burton Custom
Burton Custom X (The reviews scare me)
Yes Optimistic
Yes PYL
Yes Greats
Ride Berzerker
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only the Optimistic, PYL and Berzerker on that list will float noticeably better than your Jones (in comparable sizes). I have a Custom and while it's a great piste board it's hard work in powder (without slamming the bindings back) and less fun/forgiving that my PYL even (easier to ride switch but that's all it has over the PYL for me). The X isn't as scary as it sounds - just like a Custom with bigger balls so not really what you're looking for IMHO.
snow report
Snow Hound wrote:
Only the Optimistic, PYL and Berzerker on that list will float noticeably better than your Jones (in comparable sizes). I have a Custom and while it's a great piste board it's hard work in powder (without slamming the bindings back) and less fun/forgiving that my PYL even (easier to ride switch but that's all it has over the PYL for me). The X isn't as scary as it sounds - just like a Custom with bigger balls so not really what you're looking for IMHO.

Burton Custom 158
Burton Custom X (The reviews scare me) 158
Yes Optimistic 157
Yes PYL 159
Yes Greats 158
Ride Berzerker 159

Sizes i had picked out for now.

Im open to any other suggestions as well Lib Tech C3 decks are also an option although these TNT bases fear me on some of the models.
snow report
@Snow Hound,

How are you finding the PYL?

All I'm interested in is a board fit for fast / controlled / elegant carving on reds and blacks in Europe?

Thanks
snow report
franga wrote:
@Snow Hound,

How are you finding the PYL?

All I'm interested in is a board fit for fast / controlled / elegant carving on reds and blacks in Europe?

Thanks

It wouldn't be my first choice as a pure carver. There's others on Dave's list that'd be a better fit for that. It's beauty is in it's abilities in all kinds of snow from hards pistes to powder and everything in between. It carves well, it floats well and it busts chunder like a champ. It's even fun in a slushy mogul field (maybe that's just me?).

Check out the Custom X and the Volkl Coal although there's plenty of others - maybe look up Virus Snowboards out of Germany if you really want to go for it.

What's your current board?
snow conditions
Heres another one to throw into the mix!

http://arborcollective.com/snowboards/products/bryan-iguchi-pro-camber/
snow conditions
dave_wick wrote:

Cool dude. Cool board.

DCP ripping some nice turns and slashes in a Whistler pipe on an Optimistic:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM9bcWuABUZ/
snow conditions
Snow Hound wrote:
dave_wick wrote:

Cool dude. Cool board.

DCP ripping some nice turns and slashes in a Whistler pipe on an Optimistic:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM9bcWuABUZ/

Do you by any chance ride Now bindings ?

Seriouslŷ considering a set of now drives.
snow conditions
I tried a set of Drives when they came out but they didn't fit my boots very well. They only made 2 sizes at first and my boots were bang in the middle. Nice bindings though and a great design. They make more sizes now so I'll probably give them another shot when I need a new set. Currently loving my Diodes though and really want to try Flux as well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy