Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 16/17

Poster: A snowHead
I'd expect a few people from Geneva and similar places to show up tomorrow and Sunday - so make the most of it today while people are still at work!

Gutted I'm not still out there to enjoy it Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
langball wrote:
@admin, how good is it up top?
Very! snowHead

Like a rookie/div/smartass* I thought doing a 'warm-up' run, from top to bottom, on Kneissl SL's would be smart rolling eyes

A good 60/70cm at the top was pretty hard work on slalom skis though not un-enjoyable. The run home was rather epic half way until various grinding noises indicated the limit to which there had been snow yesterday Shocked
I suspect Spyderjon will take one look at my skis and drop em in the recycling bin now Confused

Anyway - time to switch White Stars for White Dots! snowHead

*select according to opinion.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@admin, is it not windy?

Just that a mate is hoping/scheduled to do Mont Blanc this weekend and conditions could well postpone the attempt as too much fresh snow and wind ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, today it is not windy. Today is without question E P I C.
I can be less certain about tomorrow or the weekend generally.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fixx wrote:
I'd expect a few people from Geneva and similar places to show up tomorrow and Sunday - so make the most of it today while people are still at work!

Yep, I'm heading to Engelberg (my local big hill) tomorrow. Hasn't been difficult to drum up a crowd locally so expecting it to be reasonably busy. Plenty of people in Switzerland still interested in skiing if conditions are good, especially since we've had so few powder days this season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin wrote:
I suspect Spyderjon will take one look at my skis and drop em in the recycling bin now

If they are the same pair that you were letting people use at the ski tests then I thought they were dead a couple of years ago.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@admin did you give @HammondR a call to see if he was coming out to play today?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@midgetbiker, I did and we had a beer and laid tentative plans but he's playing in the trees while I feel drawn to the altitude.

Meanwhile, the sun has come out!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Comme ça!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well it doesn't look that sunny to me.*

*sour grapes may be present
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just in from my mate from his guide....
Hallo!!! So this is the situation: more than 1 meter of snow at the aig du midi and it s windy. Tomorrow others guides climb up to the refuge with us and the owner of the refuge say that the snow it s stable and he maked the track today on the first part. The problem is that on sunday we don t have all day cause in the afternoon probably the weather ll be worst....so maibe ll be possible to arrive just to the Vallot bivuoac but ll be hard to arrive at the top. So we have to decide if we want to take the risk....if no I have a great planB on the aig du miage side.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, are you doing Mont Blanc this weekend wow. I spent the night at the Valot once. It was gross. Bon ski.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jbob, read carefully, "just in from my mate from his guide".....

So no not me but a good mate I've skied with a lot, but this season he's had a place at Entreves, right be the Skyway, and he's been doing a lot of weekends with a guide, building up to this.

There is a big amount of one upmanship going on Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, I've not skied it.
I had four friends went to do it. One of them had his ski blow up as the binding screws hadn't been sealed. He turned back with another for company. The other two carried on. Very near the top one of them a doctor who was on virtually his first ski tour diagnosed the other as having a heart attack. He was evacuated by heli leaving the doctor alone and late in the day. Very fortunately a passing Norwegian saw his plight and skied back down with him. The biggest joke was he had misdiagnosed the heart attack, it was in fact a broken leg!! Needless to say we took every opportunity to remind him of it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, best of luck to your mate although after our experience a few years ago I'd be very wary with a forecast of weather closing in...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64543
latest report
@jbob, that is a great story!
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:
Well it doesn't look that sunny to me.*

*sour grapes may be present

It was even better than his pictures suggest and the sun definitely came out. Better suck on those grapes 😜
snow report
@jbob, wow, just googled the Valot refuge - looks grim! Is that normal for unguided refuges or is that one particularly bad?
latest report
@Gämsbock, not normal. It's supposed to be for emergencies only. We used it climbing MB because it didn't need booking, free was a bonus. Directly outside the front entrance was a pillar of frozen poo three feet high. I was on the cold cold floor, in the corner was a pile of rubbish with smelly fluid leaching across the floor. We were up and out and on the top before dawn but it was a cold and uncomfortable night, but thankfully short.
ski holidays
@jbob, thanks glad to hear it's not normal (I'd like to do some winter room trips in future) but sorry to hear it was even grimmer than the photos show!
ski holidays
@jbob, good (bad) to hear some things haven't changed... Last time I stopped in there was about 15 years ago for a bit of respite from the wind (was about -20 and blowing hard and my nose kept 'going') - it was colder inside the refuge than out bizarrely and it is without a doubt by a long stretch the foulest hut/bivi/doss/winter room I have ever been in!!
snow conditions
Valley Blanche conditions update from today (Saturday). Not uncommon for this time of year, but yet again super snow down from Helbronner on either the Vierge or Noire. Powder and fresh tracks all the way down to the Mere de Glace. Should be the same tomorrow. After the new snow Monday and Tuesday, it may get better or worse. I suppose it depends on the wind and freezing level.

Sastrugi on the way over from the lift looked fearsome but was soft.

The last part of the Mere de Glace was transformed from a rocky nightmare to a rocky nightmare with 8 inches of soft snow on it.

The pistes at GM were very good in the afternoon.
snow report
Thought it was nice in the morning too. Despite the huge crowds lining up for one day passes, (hehe already had one), it wasn't too busy on the slopes, and even less so off the slopes.

ski holidays
Anyone skiing GM tomorrow? Thinking of heading over if the pass is open. 15-25cm forecast tonight 😳
snow report
@BobinCH, it will be a bit mad, closing day party...
snow conditions
Tipping it down with snow but empty 😳

Indian theme party for last day. Might need a curry to warm up!
snow report
Is it wonderful? @BobinCH, ??
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Is it wonderful? @BobinCH, ??

Alas I gave up at lunchtime. 20cm on a lumpy base with no viz. Not enough juice left in the legs to make it enjoyable Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, I am sorely disappointed for you, but happy I was working instead!
snow conditions
@BobinCH,
You should have gone into the "magic forest"(!). Much of it hadn't been skied since before the previous snow. Fresh tracks everywhere as no one else bothered to take skins for the 10/15 minute skin back to the lift. No lumpy base, and the trees provided perfect contrast.
snow report
@HammondR, upside down ski touring, love it. Come on time to go home.
snow conditions
@jbob,
Staying with Valerie at Au Pré de Moulin on Wednesday, back home in Halifax Thursday. I am officially done in.

We have the beginnings of a cunning plan for summer 2018 to go touring in Chile! Have a think on that.

See you two this summer.
snow conditions
@HammondR, I've been to Chile a couple of times. But only in their summer. It's really good.
snow conditions
A nice run down the Envers today, some pow turns, some spring turns, and some very annoying sun/wind crust sections. Almost no walk at the end, but ladders no gondola to Montonvers. Reports of stellar conditions in Comiques/Rond yesterday.

snow conditions
@Idris, any idea how gnarly is the Cosmiques entry and exit? Need ropes for rappel etc or enough snow to ski all the way?
snow report
@BobinCH, this https://www.facebook.com/luca.pandolfi.9/videos/10154333136547260/ should answer your question
snow report
Apparently the north face of the Midi is "in" at the moment https://www.facebook.com/pepapy.millet/videos/744381775734477/
Unfortunately I just get to look out the window and get jealous , got a foul cold Sad
snow conditions
Superb. Those boys can ski!
ski holidays
That is insane how they're skiing it. Camera also makes it look like a green slope? Maybe its much heather loaded with snow than usual or something?
latest report
Some more Chamonix madness

http://youtube.com/v/rrLcYfxG_IA

Still sitting in front of the 'puter wit a head full of a cold, but can't fault the view

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy