Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 16/17

Poster: A snowHead
@smac,
Wow!
Pics or it didn't happen! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210399321472799&set=ms.c.eJxVzsENAzAMQtGNKoPjAPsvVvVSOdenL2MUUZ00cUXX~_eAvrKbRS3BEJbsZ0JwtFI3d9Gn6eDe~%3BLT6NQM~_~_cxD6akuDVm1RaHPJrWaenwdDB1sUpvQImJovYxc16Q~-~-.bps.a.1021035204105081
8.1073741864.1036070859&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210399322672829&set=ms.c.eJxVzsENAzAMQtGNKoPjAPsvVvVSOdenL2MUUZ00cUXX~_eAvrKbRS3BEJbsZ0JwtFI3d9Gn6eDe~%3BLT6NQM~_~_cxD6akuDVm1RaHPJrWaenwdDB1sUpvQImJovYxc16Q~-~-.bps.a.10210352041050818.1073741864.1036070859&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210399324312870&set=ms.c.eJxVzsENAzAMQtGNKoPjAPsvVvVSOdenL2MUUZ00cUXX~_eAvrKbRS3BEJbsZ0JwtFI3d9Gn6eDe~%3BLT6NQM~_~_cxD6akuDVm1RaHPJrWaenwdDB1sUpvQImJovYxc16Q~-~-.bps.a.10210352041050818.1073741864.1036070859&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210399321672804&set=ms.c.eJxVzsENAzAMQtGNKoPjAPsvVvVSOdenL2MUUZ00cUXX~_eAvrKbRS3BEJbsZ0JwtFI3d9Gn6eDe~%3BLT6NQM~_~_cxD6akuDVm1RaHPJrWaenwdDB1sUpvQImJovYxc16Q~-~-.bps.a.10210352041050818.1073741864.1036070859&type=3&theater

Don`t know if this works??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le Tour and Vallorcine (especially the trees around Tete de Balme lift) was great this morning. Did a load of laps with fresh tracks pretty much every time until it got busy around 11 ish. It was all closed yesterday so whole area a blank canvas this morning.

Then went to Grand Montets in order to get higher to mitigate the rising temperatures today. Not so great, did two laps of Lavancher bowl (far left and far right) at 1pm, found it heavy, very tracked and lumpy. Hard work. Didn't go up the top lift. Anyone go to GM for first lifts this morning?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could anyone point out Lavancher bowl on a map for me please?

I'm heading up towards the Trient Hut (and onwards) March 20th and getting a bit nervous with the amount of slide activity in the region.

@smac appreciate the great photos from Chamonix!

Thanks!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

"O" is the col you will most likely be heading over to the trient. "X" is the lavencher bowl. It's the other end of the resort. Some teams now head over the col du passon to avoid the steep decent from the Chardonet. There's loads of time for things to settle. It's been a warm afternoon which should help.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll post the map in a moment.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That image doesn't show for me @jbob ?

Yes we're looking at both options and may even swing south over to La Fouly
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Map "A" is the col du Passon
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers thanks. I've ordered some topo maps to do some route planning so will be a bit more familiar with the place-names.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saw a big powder avalanche come down to my left as I was driving away from Chamonix just before Les Houches earlier. Big billowing cloud came almost to the bottom of the valley, several cars pulled over to watch. Looking at the map, it was probably the valley of Glacier du Taconnaz, or nearby.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ronanh, if you use goeportail.fr you can view all the IGN topos for free and overlay other maps and satellite as well. Great trip planning resource.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
The sdda bus runs three time a day from Geneva to courmayeur. 37euro one way. Times are 12:00, 16:00 and 19:30.
LOVEVDA.IT/BUSTRANSFER

Thanks - that's too late on the way out there (I'd miss a whole day) but ideal for the return journey.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm considering a late-season weekend escape before the European resorts shut. Chamonix is appealing for a weekend trip due to the ease of travelling by car and having some interesting terrain for three or four days' skiing for the two of us. With the recent snowfall, and people's experience of other years in Chamonix, would there still be good skiing in mid-April, maybe even the weekend of 15th-16th April when most lifts are scheduled to close?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There will be plenty high up and a good chance of getting some new snow. Skiing at altitude in May is much more reliable than December or even January. The Grands Montetes and Le Tour will have the best snow as they have more north in them.

I've been out three times in May when usually only the Grands Montets lifts are left running. Each time there has been plenty and most of our skiing has been off piste. The first trip we were still able to ski down to Argentiere at 1250m snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowdave wrote:
@ronanh, if you use goeportail.fr you can view all the IGN topos for free and overlay other maps and satellite as well. Great trip planning resource.

thanks @snowdave. The Swiss have a similar one that's really good. You can import .kml and /kmz files too and draw your own shapes/paths.

https://map.geo.admin.ch/
snow report
Peter S wrote:
There will be plenty high up and a good chance of getting some new snow. Skiing at altitude in May is much more reliable than December or even January. The Grands Montetes and Le Tour will have the best snow as they have more north in them.

I've been out three times in May when usually only the Grands Montets lifts are left running. Each time there has been plenty and most of our skiing has been off piste. The first trip we were still able to ski down to Argentiere at 1250m snowHead

Slightly late reply, but thanks for advising! No booked in a cheap Airbnb for Easter weekend at the end of the season. Fingers crossed for some good conditions remaining until then!
snow report
Someone plus la chamoniarde (guides office) posted on FB that the Pas de Chèvre was impassable where it exits onto the glacier and the Pghm have had to Heli parties off two days running. The exit couloir is loose mud and rocks.
ski holidays
Got a link @jbob? Was that for the descent into Arolla? What about the traverse to Vignettes from there? I'm heading up the Col du Chardonnet on Monday and trying to plan a decent route East/South East.

What's "Pghm"?
latest report
http://www.chamoniarde.com/?page_id=343

http://www.pghm-chamonix.com/
snow report
Very springlike today up Brevent. Somewhat surprised that the snow that fell week before last all seems to have disappeared Shocked
ski holidays
@ronanh, no it's the decent down to mer de glacé and back to Chamonix. I have no idea what the conditions are like around arolla. There are teams on the HLR at the moment who are completing it. The pghm are the rescue service in the mountains in France. Things seem quite stable at the moment apart from wet snow purges in the afternoon at lower altitudes some large. It looks like most teams use the col du passion rather than the chardonnet.

Skied at GM Friday. Good fun in places. F big lumps with some chalky snow.
snow report
Fresh tracks are still available if you are prepared to put a bit of work in. Skinned up to the Col du Tour Noir today with my chum Madmountainman, which was hot work for quite some time. Not the earliest of starts, and they were queuing out of the door at GM at 8:30.

We were the only people at the Col at 15:00 and had a blissful run back down to the Argentiere glacier with soft barely tracked snow. I wasn't sure that it was worth the effort on the way up, but it certainly was. It will probably be the same tomorrow if you have a look......
snow conditions
Soooo, coming down to cham for next week. Where to go? Will there be any decent skiing?
snow conditions
@staffsan, Next week is a long time away. Whatever happens, there is lots of snow. What that will be like is a mystery at present.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Very springlike today up Brevent. Somewhat surprised that the snow that fell week before last all seems to have disappeared Shocked

I'm very surprised to hear that you're so surprised! It's been sunny, hot (13 to 15 deg on bochard thermometers for several days last week), and raining at times. How is new snow supposed to survive that onslaught.?......and I thought you knew everything.......so disappointed.......... Wink))

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 23-03-17 10:20; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
"Breaking News... Allegedly the Chamonix-Meteo man has taken the snow tyres of his car! That's it #winterisover #chamonix @Offpisteperform"

I'm off home Saturday.
ski holidays
@horgand, i was in the US all that the time so had no idea just how mild/moist it had been.
latest report
Going to Argentiere for Sat-Sun from April 8 with the family. 2 adults and kids 8,12 and 15. Any ideas on getting the best value out of the lft passes? Spring offers? Internet advanced- family plus one adult? Any way of not paying full fare for the 15 yr old?

Also any suggestions for a guide to take me and the 15 yr old down the Valle Blanche on tele gear? Ideally a guide who teles and likes a little teaching rather than just guiding???? Alos also renting crampons to fit duck billed boots? Otavalo?? Namaste sport?

Many thanks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went up Grand Montets today. Plenty good snow above 2000 - below that it can snatch at your skis. Visibility a bit problematic in the pm, and generally challenging but competent skiers (ie better than me!) will have a blast.
snow report
Snow reports saying there will be a huge dump Saturday night. 32 cms!

Areas like Megeve where I am really need it.
snow conditions
@ed123, If you've got the age of your eldest wrong and they are actually 14 then the family pass would be perfect and very cheap - there's a "spring skiing" discount that kicks in from 8th April. See http://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/nos-forfaits. There used to be a student rate available if they have an ISIC card or proof they are in school, but I can't see it on the website, although the rapidcard does have a student rate and might work out cheaper.

Punters don't normally use crampons for the VB, if that's why you're thinking of hiring them.

I'm also in Argentiere at that time, so might see you on the slopes.
snow conditions
Hi. Will be in the valley on Monday. Just wondering where best conditions are likely to be for piste/side piste skiing for the day. Would I be right in thinking Grands Montets? All suggestions gratefully received!
snow report
Im wondering the same thing as gvj, but i'll be coming to cham tonight - so is grand montets the best bet tomorrow or is brevent/flegere gonna be nice also?

If it was only me im pretty sure i'd go for grand montets, but my GF is kind of a red/blue piste-basher. Which area is more likely to be nice for both of us?

Looks like theres about to snow at least 2dm tonight!! Smile
snow conditions
@staffsan, Grands Montets probably going to be best but maybe busy. And there are quite enough blue runs...
snow report
Late start at Brevant today (11:00) and it was flinging flanging warm. Like mid April. Some of the higher pistes ok, some slopfests. The bits of Offpiste where I ventured were pretty unpleasant by early afternoon.

If the dribble of snow materialises tonight, GM will be busy but best.

Now, is it worth dragging myself up the Crochues-Bérard early tomorrow?
ski holidays
Late start at Brevant today (11:00) and it was flinging flanging warm. Like mid April. Some of the higher pistes ok, some slopfests. The bits of Offpiste where I ventured were pretty unpleasant by early afternoon.

If the dribble of snow materialises tonight, GM will be busy but best.

Now, is it worth dragging myself up the Crochues-Bérard early tomorrow?
snow report
Just got to chamonix last night, it was raining. Thought to myself: at least there might be some good snow above 2000 meters. Woke up right now to this:

image uploader
ski holidays
@staffsan, photo taken from UCPA Chamonix?

I was there a month ago and in UCPA Argentiere last week.

Sunday was great. Not much snow left for this week though...

I recommend trying Col du Passon for the ski tourers - conditions were still very decent down to Le Tour late last week.
snow conditions
We are due to be coming over Friday evening for the Easter weekend, from what I've seen it looks like there is still some reasonable snow to make the trip worthwhile, with perhaps a little bit more forecast this week? I guess the best skiing now is up Grands Montets and above Le Tour?
snow conditions
Some lovely spring snow in le tour off piste today but no one skiing it. GM all this week was dull.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy