Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 16/17

Poster: A snowHead
Does look better than work Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fergus,
Good excuse to avoid that then. Thanks
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I go next Friday, (17th) hope the conditions are still good by then Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crappy day today.

Sunny.

Very fine pistes.

Off piste arguably under skied.

And vacances scolaires/half term crowds.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of grass beginning to show through in Le Tour. Brevant and Flegere have bare patches too. It's been up to 16 degrees in resort. Cham could do with a snow dump with nothing forecast for a while. I wouldn't want to be here next week for piste skiing. Don't know about off piste but all the tourers seem to be heading to Italy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hercules2016, you would be amazed what a couple of piste bashers can do. It'll be fine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, they've been taking snow off the mountain to fill in the pistes but there's just not the available base. Last day skiing tomorrow. Next trip EoSB!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so we had a nice few pistes yesterday and enjoyed the jazz at our new favourite spot, the Chavanne. Heavy traffic areas are looking a little worn but having taken my rock hoppers Saturday, I took my new skis yesterday as really there weren't many exposed rocks.

It's cold overnight so things are remaining in good nick. Off piste looks very variable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah it's alright if you pick your runs, but I can't see the Lachenal piste being open for much longer for example. All my skis are now rock skis after this season though. Still if the warm weather's going to melt the snow it's at least very enjoyable to be up there whilst it's doing it.

The crowds didn't seem too bad this weekend too. The new lift on the Brevent side has made a massive difference now that it's getting busy, although it might have made the queue to get down in the bubble worse at the end of the day. The Brev Bar needs to up its game as it could be a great spot to wait out the queue if they put a bit of effort in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steve77, yeah surprisingly quiet innit? New Brev lift is good but we really miss the sneaky drag.

Given SERAC can operate the Chavanne, why are NONE of the other bars as much fun? Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Could someone kindly provide an update on current off piste snow conditions please.

I'm heading out on a guided week on Saturday and I'm getting a little worried given the latest weather forecast... Confused

Thanks!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@coolbeanz, variable!

I would think however that a good guide will find you fun stuff, but don't expect any freshies.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @FreeRider!

'Variable' I will be happy with wink

I just hope that February won't mark the end of the season this year, as I recently booked another ski holiday in the last week of March! I'll be trying out ski randonee for the first time, which hopefully will allow better access to good snow. We'll have to wait and see...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@coolbeanz, I'm there Saturday on a guided trip, Jagged Globe per chance? There is snow forecasted for Friday and another dump on Tuesday.

http://www.bergfex.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/wetter/prognose/#4
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @Tat415, let's hope that Friday will bring a big dump. I'm there with UCPA. See you on the mountain! snowHead
latest report
@coolbeanz, which UCPA? I'm at the central one for a week from Saturday, on an offpiste course – though it doesn’t start until Monday, so I guess you're on a different one, or in the Argentiere UCPA?

Anyway, I'm not worried. I have a week off work, 8 days of skiing to do (I'm flying out tomorrow night, and back the following Sunday. Have to work on Friday, but can still ski Sat – Sat Smile ), and I'll have fun whatever happens. Plenty of friends to see, party and ski with, and 4 days with an instructor/guide off piste who'll help make the most of it.

More worried about the rugby this Saturday – Ireland might have a tough one against France Shock
ski holidays
Small world @fixx, I'm also staying at the central one next week. Then at the Argentiere centre next month.

Chances are we'll end up staying in the same room if you booked via Action-Outdoors.

That's right, Monday will be the first guided day, Sunday is just free skiing.

Definitely looking forward to it!

My name is Piotr/Pete btw - see you in Chamonix!
snow report
we come out tomorrow with a very mixed ability group. We are staying in Les Houches but the hotel will take us to whichever drop off we want. Where would be best to go currently for piste skiing? mostly blues and reds for the group id say.
snow report
@coolbeanz, Aha, funny timing Smile

Doubt we’ll be in the same room though – I’m a girl NehNeh I’m Fi, I’m sure you’ll see me around quite easily - just look for the blonde girl running around talking about the rugby!

I’ll see what the snow is like on Saturday hopefully, and quiz a few friends. A few were out touring yesterday and sending back some disappointing reports unfortunately, but there will be snow somewhere…
snow report
@fixx, how tactless of me to assume that you were a boy Embarassed

I'll have to buy you a drink at Chambre Neuf by way of apology!

Right, time to pray to the Snow Gods.
snow report
Hi guys, ive not been to Chamonix in about 10 years. i think when we went Bar D'up was the place to go for apres and le Garage was the nightclub. Where are people heading these days. Ive heard chambre neuf a couple of times for apres?
latest report
@mk28, depends on the scene you want, and time of day.

Chambre Neuf definitely for the straight off the slopes, table dancing and crowd-surfing in your ski wear craziness.

After that there is a whole host of options. Bar'd Up is still going strong, and there are several other bars on the same street with different ambiences. Personally I like Social Club, or Boogie Woogie.

That nightclub changed names several times and is now shut - Amnesia or Le Tof (around Cham Sud area) are the remaining options, with varying levels of nastiness/required drunkenness. There's a reason Amnesia is so named – unless you're already so drunk you won't remember it, you shouldn’t go!

There are also 4 bars (generally running late) in Cham Sud, with happy hours 4-6, and 9-10, or 10-11 each night (beer and wine early in the days, cocktails and spirits later). Most do food, and it's all decent. They are roughly Irish, British/Aussie, Swedish, and French. I like all 4 Smile

And close to Chambre Neuf there are still more, again with a variety of atmospheres. La Terrasse had some great nights last year, but changes staff each year and is a bit of a let down this time round.

There are a few other very nice upmarket bars scattered round the place too.

And there are even more I’ve not touched on - you’ll never run out of drinking options in Cham!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 22-02-17 15:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@coolbeanz, don't worry, you wouldn't be the first on here to think that Laughing rolling eyes snowHead
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
@coolbeanz, Aha, funny timing Smile

Doubt we’ll be in the same room though – I’m a girl NehNeh I’m Fi, I’m sure you’ll see me around quite easily - just look for the blonde girl running around talking about the rugby!…

Hi Fi,

enjoy Chamonix,looks like you're gonna get good snow too, which is rare & wonderful this season. I was there last week for a few days and it was great but the snow a little jaded. I'm back on March 11th for a week with the usual suspects- looking forward to it now!!

p.s. like The Chamonix Social club too, very chiq & atmospheric and dear!!
snow report
@horgand/Dave - sorry I'll miss you this year! The perils of actually working... (fingers crossed I won't be in such an unfortunate position next year NehNeh)

Ah, I doubt it'll be as good as the snow we got on GM last year - but it's still skiing in the mountains!

Have fun with your brothers Smile
latest report
thanks @fixx
ski holidays
@fixx, good timing.
snow report
Courmayeur still skiing better at moment? Thinking of a few days there next midweek, some suggestions of snow
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is http://chamonix-meteo.com still the go-to weather forecast for Chamonix?

A few sites are forecasting 0.5-1m+ of snow Mon-Wed, but not sure how much trust to put in them:

http://www.bergfex.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/wetter/prognose/#4
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Chamonix/6day/mid
https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Chamonix_snow.html
http://www.yr.no/place/France/Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes/Mont_Blanc/long.html

Puzzled
snow conditions
@coolbeanz, yes, that's the best forecast
snow report
Just back from a week in Argentiere skiing with the family and friends. Snow a bit poor. Flegere stony / bare patches. Argentiere full cover but base super hard. Some snow on Friday but very difficult skiing due to combination of a very hard icy base with just a few cm of soft snow on top plus very poor light / cloud. Earlier in the week great visibility / light and a few good runs down from the Grands Montets. Mid week it was really quite warm in the valley. When we left on Saturday though it was cold again.

Curiously the French authorities continue to deny the dangers presented by marmots.

La Cremerie have re styled their food a little with designer presentation. Still super friendly service and great prices (€13 for the menu skier and €8 for a kids meal, drink and ice cream). To eat you must book.
latest report
Lovely slushy bumps up Brevent this morning. 50cms forecast for mid week.
snow conditions
Lovely slushy bumps up Brevent this morning. 50cms forecast for mid week.
ski holidays
So the snow finally arrived! Skied Les Houches yesterday, as nothing else was open. Vis wasn't great to start with, and snow was a bit heavy, but we had fun in the morning - was out with a guide who kept finding us fresh tracks, and kept us in the lightest snow.

I'd say only about 20cm accumulation though, and easy to punch through to the old snow underneath, but still fun.

Less fun after lunch though - the wind was up, very strong, leaving many areas very scoured, and temps (which were already not very cold) has risen, so things got sticky, and very slushy lower down.

It kept snowing all evening though, and looks lovely on the ground in the town right now Smile Just waiting to see what lifts open, but will def head out for a few hours today too! Probs Le Tour, and stick to low angle slopes though.
ski holidays
Heading out tonight for our first days skiing tomorrow, I have my 2 young boys with me for the first time so need to find some green runs. Anyone know which are in the best shape? I have a car so anywhere in the valley is fine.
latest report
@Neillp, les Houches, at top of Prarion gondola there's the beginners plateau.
ski holidays
Or maybe the Savoy beside Brevent.
snow report
thanks we are staying in Les Houches so that sounds like an option, what are the green runs like on La Flegere?

I was think of in case it is slushy at Les Houches.

Cheers

Neill
ski holidays
@Neillp, it will not be slushy at the top of Les Houches. Getting to Flegere requires using the cable car and downloading both of which will be time consuming and I don't think there are any green runs!
snow conditions
There is a green at Flegere - runs down skiers right (direction east) from the Flegere mid station under the Trappe chair, it's very gentle and has a fun and easy ski/board cross adjacent (on the skiers right) to it. My kids love it but there's not much else for beginners there. Great on a sunny day though and worth a trip imho. LH more varied and better if weather's closed in a bit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy