Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing correct Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Ive been skiing twice, once up in Scotland (glencoe) as a total beginner who hadnt skii'd before and had a lesson at castleford. Feel comfortable linking turns and controlling my speed.

Im looking to get some cheap used skis to reduce costs of future trips but it seems a minefield out there of what there is to choose. Ive spied some skis close to home, but then spent the next hour looking at sizes etc.

I am 175cm tall and weigh 60kg of a beginner nature who feels confident on green runs but would like to progress up to blue.

Ive seen some Head Cyber XP60 skis. 170cm length with the dimensions 112-64-95.

From reading a few guides/advice on the net, it seems they appear to be more suited to your groomed pistes (which ill be sticking to) and are pretty easy to control with having a narrow waist.

Can anyone offer any further advice for what would suit myself?

Thanks

Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@carsey, Welcome to SnowHeads Very Happy

I haven't been a beginner for 30 years and skis have changed a great deal since then. I'm sure one of the many Ski Instructors on this forum will be able to provide some guidance.

From what I can remember from my early days, the main issue was the condition of the edges and bases/wax, rather than the ski I was using. I would wait for a few more trips before buying, so you are better able to decide what you like in a ski, and also be able to tell if a second hand pair of skis is any good when you ski on them.

Unless Head reused the name, the Head Cyber XP60 was released around 2001, so is now a 15-16 year old ski. I would recommend looking for something a little newer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @carsey, welcome to Snowheads.

From what I've heard, the typical advice of 'don't bother buying skis for a while' doesn't quite work if you're doing regular trips to Scotland. It's worth having your own so that you can just chuck them in the car and go, without faffing in rental shops which might be very busy.

Having said that, you'll want something a bit newer than something from 2001. Skis don't change a lot year-on-year, but it adds up over time. Something newer is likely to be a lot lighter, for example, since the materials science has improved.

Do you have a budget in mind of what you want to spend?

And what are you planning to do about boots?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @carsey, welcome!

It's also worth considering a few other things..
If you are buying second hand skis it is unlikely that they will have rental or rail system bindings either (these two options would allow you to adjust to any size boot, and will be like the hire skis you have used). Many skis will have fixed bindings screwed to the ski, which may need to be moved depending on your boots - you may need to pay a ski shop to do this properly as correct binding setup is safety critical. It's also possible the skis are being sold without bindings (flat) if the seller has decided to re-use their bindings, in which case you'd need to buy and have bindings fitted.

Also @PowderAdict mentioned the age of the skis, also consider the age of the bindings. Ski shops have a list of 'indemnified' bindings which is updated periodically. If the binding isn't on that list they won't touch them (and, frankly, theres a reason they are not on there and you probably wouldn't want to ski on them). If you buy skis that are only a couple of years old this is less likely to be a problem.

Do you own boots? Buying skis if you are going to hire boots is a bit of a minefield (because of adjusting the bindings etc.) Also buying (properly fitting) boots is the best investment you can make in your skiing (albeit not the cheapest...). I would guess it's pretty unusual to own skis but not boots.

Finally, depending on how many trips you plan to do, and who you fly with, the airline ski carriage may mean that you're not really saving as much as you expect, so it could be a false economy. [I'm assuming that you plan to ski abroad at some point...]
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think materials have made skis any lighter, but there have been changes in geometry that would suggest newer ones might be better.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for your replies and welcomes along Very Happy

We generally only get to scotland once a year and at a push castleford once or twice a year. Certainly no abroad trips planned yet.

Generally, as its only a once or twice a year thing, ideally id like to spend as little as possible. (as tight as that sounds). Unless the indoor slope gets built at teesside (30minute drive) then would only be a few times a year at most. Boots id probably try to, again, pick up second hand in good condition with little use.

Having read your post about the bindings, I was thinking they were all adjustable, like the ones in rental shops but now aware some are fixed and not easily adjustable to your boot size.

Certainly some interesting advice to have a think of here. Thanks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@carsey, in that case, you're quite likely better off renting in Scotland, and I presume Castleford has their own equipment included when you go there? If you do get to go abroad there will be plenty of options for renting skis and boots.

You'll find it easier to learn on rental gear which is more modern; I don't think it's worthwhile getting outdated kit just because it's cheap.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems a fair comment to make. Castleford skis are included in the pricing of the slope passes so thats always a bonus.

Only thing is we have weardale ski club about 10miles drive from me, who unfortunately dont have any rental from looking at their site, which is a shame so I guess thats one downside to not owning your own kit.

Just need to get some snow on those hills now and look forward to the season starting. Got booked up in Glencoe in 10th March with a mate for 2 nights so thats our annual trip to scotland planned. Just hope the weather is good for us!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@carsey, Ski and boot hire link for Weardale is on this page: http://www.skiweardale.com/links.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@carsey,
Personally I would get boots sorted first. Get them right and they will last many weeks skiing. Get them wrong and your feet won't last very long.

As for skis Ebay can be your friend as there are lots of ex-hire and secondhand skis complete with adjustable bindings on there always remembering that if you buy some and don't like them you can always resell.

Not sure about other brands but a lot of Rossignol skis come with their own adjustable track system but you have to be aware that the correct adjustment is critical to your safety.

I would also get some more lessons and talk to the teachers about what you want to do.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for replies

Certainly would be beneficial to get some adjustable skis but I imagine finding the correct set on eBay might be easier said than done.

Regarding boots, Is there anything to look for rather than your show size? I see most boots are measured in mm which I guess is the size that the binding needs to be on the skis

Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@carsey, for boots, ideally you should see a recommended boot fitter (post your location for tips). Plenty of information on this site about boot fitting. The size of the boot will be something like 26, 27.5 etc, which I think corresponds to your foot in cm. Bindings are fitted to your boot sole length (BSL) which is printed on the heel or under the boot. This will be a few cm longer than the boot size, so something like 305mm.

Many ex rental and retail skis come with adjustable (rail) bindings, they are not that hard to find.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks.

I'm based in Durham, North East England

Had another spy on the good old eBay and spied a couple of 160cm skis which seem better recommended to my height.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302141152820

Seem to be fairly wide underfoot at 83mm and appear to have adjustable bindings as per the advert.

Guess the width will be fairly good for the softer powdery indoor 'real' snow slopes and also good for the Scottish pisted runs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would go for properly fitted new boots and rental skis. Rental boots just probably might fit a bit, but are generally uncomfortable and don't really work. Rental skis are typically reasonably new, might have had a service and aren't that bad.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You said in the original post that you wanted to buy skis to cut rental costs. Can you find a rental shop where you ski that offers a boots and poles only package? Even if you can does the difference in price justify the cost of buying and mainaining skis?
I'd focus on getting to a point where you can get decent boots - that will help your skiing far more than skis.
Whilst wider skis are good in powder you'd probably be better off with a narrower regular piste ski for pisted runs until you get more experience. A wider ski moves the point of support (the edge) further from the centre of the boot, acting as a longer lever. If your boots don't fit well that's going to been shown up more by wider skis, and it will be harder to get the skis on edge.
snow conditions
Just back to re-open this topic.

Couple years on and feel my skiing has got a bit better to point where can comfortable make parallel turns, control speed and can descend down steeper slopes well enough.

Going to be buying some boots sorted as rental boots now are starting to hurt my big toe after a days skiing. Which leads me to skis to buy. Been looking at some piste skis and occasional just off piste where snow line is a bit softer than your groomed lines. (not your total off piste pick your own route stuff)

I seen piste skis are recommended around 70-85mm wide which is what I should be looking for.

is there anything else I should be looking out for? what about tail design and width of the tip of the ski? Camber etc?

Dont mind budgeting up to £150 for a set of second hand skis providing they will suit me fine. im 5ft 7 and weight 62kg and think that puts me in a 155-160cm ski so was looking at the 160s as seems to be more about.

is there anything to look for/watch out for being a beginner?

Thanks

Chris
snow report
I would focus on something close to an 80 mm waist billed as an "All Mountain" ski, as recent as you can get for the money from one of the major brands. Other thing to consider buying used is their condition i.e. rock damage, edge tuning, how many base grinds etc. Most of the newer skis in this category have camber under foot with slightly rockered tips and tails, making them pretty user friendly in most conditions. Keep away from fully rockered freeride skis, twin tip park skis and race skis etc.
ski holidays
Thanks for your reply and will note the 80mm waist width (although a lot seem to be 75-76mm)

Ive had a trail through ebay last night and today and added a few skis to my watch list within budget but finding any real infomation out on the models is pretty hard with it being a bit older lines.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K2-AMP-RAZOR-160-CM-SKIS-SKI-MARKER-M-2013-N80/322900157729?hash=item4b2e596521:g:1wsAAOSw-olaFwqH
Cant really find any suitable infor out for them but the K2 AMP range seems to cater for beginner/intermediate and for those looking to venture off piste.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Nordica-Transfire-R75-160-cm-Ski-BRAND-NEW-Tyrolia-QZ14-Race-Bindings/282130153556?hash=item41b0448054:g:~bQAAOSwXAJYV68l#viTabs_0
Seems a nice ski for the beginner looking to progress their ski level into making quicker turns as per a few sites with the model description. New bindings too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORDICA-Dobermann-Spitfire-160cm-R13m-NORDICA-Bindings/322979989316?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
These seem well suited for pistes according to their site but more towards the expert skier rather than beginner/intermediate. Probably a bit towards a race ski?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fischer-Motive-XTR-160-cm-Ski-XTR-10-Bindings/282651304720?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Not sure how old they are, but the bindings look a bit tired and battered. seems a good ski to suit my ability though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELAN-WAVEFLEX-8-Skis-Size-160cm/391961764765?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Seem suited to inter/advanced intermediate skiers but pretty narrow on the waist and listing is without bindings which would be additional cost + fitting, however much they usually are.

Thats what ive managed to get my list down to at the minute from having a look. Seems to be the 2013 onwards season with one or two in there from 2015. Widths from 73mm-78mm. Anyone got any thoughts/comments about the ones ive selected in terms of suitability?

Chris
snow report
Personally, I would exclude all the ex-rental ones off your list and the Spitfire might be too much ski for you as well. It's not easy buying used skis as it's one of those items you really need to see up close to judge their condition. Most of the above seem to be from rental shops, so I would expect the worst. Can you not wait until the end of season sales and pick up a brand new bargain? You won't end up paying that much more.

The reason I suggested 80 mm was to help with your "occasional just-off-piste" experiments. The latest crop of 80 mm skis carve just as well or even better than many 75 mm skis from only 5 years ago, while being more versatile and user-friendly at the same time. Plus of course they will be brand new with factory tune rather than some tired out ex-rental hack.
snow conditions
How much would you think a end of season sale set would be? Then I guess theres the cost of bindings on top?
ski holidays
carsey wrote:
How much would you think a end of season sale set would be? Then I guess theres the cost of bindings on top?

£300 with bindings would be a safe bet, possibly £250. Obviously choice can be limited in the sales, but there are so many decent skis on the market today that there is bound to be something suitable from at least one of the major brands. Make a shortlist of models and shop around. It's what I do when I'm looking for new skis and 30-40% discount from RRP is quite realistic for current season and 50% plus for anything a year or more older lying around the shop.
ski holidays
carsey wrote:
many shops sell skis with the bindings included.

I was going to suggest Edge & Wax, but it looks like they have closed down now, so maybe

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski/pack-ski-bindings/?&emkfid=EMF-3809388382-k-skis%20uk-73065005182-e-s&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJbTBRDkARIsAIA0a5NDFgIo5o7iJB-EZmSPdFoVX5z2vXLeJiLG7br0vcZhZ0DOG5kVooAaArzCEALw_wcB

but bound to be lots more
snow report
Sport Conrad is usually a good benchmark for pricing too, but factor in delivery charges. Some of the UK shops offer free delivery.
ski holidays
Bit out my budget if im totally honest for a pair of skis that will be used in UK conditions, and we all know how many rocks end up poking up through the snow in Scotland/ weardale.

Transfire skis seem to get the best reviews and a few people elsewhere have said would be good suited to my ability, but as always, end up with 4 or 5 different answers or opinions on something, which makes it even harder.

Question would be with the above skis, would the bindings be adjustable for my boot size? Ive always had 318mm (size 9) in the past, but properly fitted might end up at the next size as big toe ended up pushed against the front of boot after a days skiing.
snow conditions
Can also get the Transfire RTX for just under £200 which I guess could stretch to.

Havent had a great look yet as need to get off to work Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy