Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champoloc ski area and off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me what the area is like for a week's skiing the area looks small on paper but is the draw of the place in the off piste opportunities to be had ?. Any advice would be great.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dunno. I've probably done about 40 weeks there. Still not bored...off piste varies from rubbish to terrific.

Food invariably good thought...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is the off piste lift acessed or do you have to hike for the best stuff @under a new name, ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Once over to Gressonney/Alagna there's a fair bit lift accessed. Bear in mind that avvy kit is legally required and certainly sometimes controlled for on the Punta Indren lift.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Food invariably good thought...

Absolutely. Just about the best in the Alps IME. And not expensive.

Quote:

off piste varies from rubbish to terrific.

Because the snow is more variable than N and W alps. When there is snow it's great.

Quote:

Once over to Gressonney/Alagna there's a fair bit lift accessed

UANN spends a lot of time in Chamonix which is why he is using the understated "a fair bit". By normal standards Alagna/Gressoney offers some of the biggest lift accessed off piste descents in the Alps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Moi? Understated?

It is proper off piste though. Likely a little wind blown. Almost certainly variable. All of which is good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
years ago I had a few weekends based in Gressoney, had no skins and was off piste every day all from lifts. Plenty of traversing!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replys it sounds like its going to be a good trip as long as the snow is falling from now until January.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awesome, just awesome. We did a lads trip for four days and never got bored. The last day in 12 inches of fresh will remain a memory for a long time. Food great, accommodation cheap, bars plentiful of all types and styles from those with wall mounted TVs and premiership games to quality wine bars. Some of our boys went clubbing and we went to a live gig one night.

But above all - the skiing is great.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@meandrew, have you booked accom? Maybe worth staying in Gressoney if not, you are then "in the middle"
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, im a bit torn as we haven't booked yet but from what ive read there are pros and cons with all 3 but the accommodation in Champoloc seems cheaper and there looks to be more for my wife above there is this right?.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@meandrew, yeh correct, more accom/bigger village in Champoluc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@meandrew, I think @under a new name, recommended this in the first place to me. Hotel Castor, run buy an English guy. Good basic food, not expensive, nice bar. Only downside is a bit of a hike to the lifts, but the kids managed it every day! www.hotelcastor.it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oh and this was days after fresh snow, about 10 foot to the side of a piste over English half term.

The other tracks are our first run Smile

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and here are the huge half term queues on the gondola out of Gressoney I think back to Champoluc

ski holidays
As far as I can determine, there's very little to do of an evening in either Gressoneys nor Alagna.

Champoluc has more going on, has a Spa, well managed XC and snow shoeing.

The logistics of skiing over are not that troublesome especially if setting off from Frachey.

Castor is well run by a nice couple if a little dated. Very robust food!

Nearer telecabine the Hotel Champoluc gets well discussed here but may now be TO only?

I'm afraid our apartment is fully booked for the season (much to our surprise and delight- although we did renovate completely in the summer so it is probably the chiquest apartment in town Happy. )
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@meandrew, I think @under a new name, recommended this in the first place to me. Hotel Castor, run buy an English guy. Good basic food, not expensive, nice bar. Only downside is a bit of a hike to the lifts, but the kids managed it every day! www.hotelcastor.it

I'll second the Hotel Castor. Lovely people, nice (family friendly) hotel and superb food.
snow report
@under a new name, Hotel Champoloc is where we have been looking at seems well positioned for easy access to the slopes and fair reviews, we are looking at New year week going out on the 30 th and tbh im not looking for any partying just good food a few drinks so it sounds like Champoloc fits the bill.
snow report
I was just about to ask the same questions. Booked Sunday for the 14th January . Printed off the piste map looks as if there is a variety of skiing to suite all levels. Does anyone know if the bus from Champoluc to Frachey is included in the lift pass? The ski2 web site (not going with them) says this is the quickest route to Alagna. The Monterosa web site shows good snow cover and cold temperatures already, I know it could all go in a day, but keep positive.
snow report
@Mikehboyle, I believe buses included but why not check the area website?
snow report
Well thats me booked Very Happy now to get watching the web cams.
latest report
Been doing champoluc for 7 years now...and will keep going...we Stay at the hotel champoluc. Large bedrooms, boot room and its ski to door, nice bar area. never get bored with the area, wife wont go anywhere else. She does a few days snowshoeing as well.....5pm in the bistro bar opposite the hotel and its free apres ski food, pizza and nibbles. Plenty of restaurants and a few bars , piste bars are all over the place and not expensive at all, coffee and a crossiant is 1.50 eu... plus the pistes can be empty during the week, does get busy on weekends though.
snow report
@yorkshirelad, my wife has been doing Champoluc for 43 years and is only 44 years old wink
ski holidays
@Mikehboyle, skiing from Champoluc itself (Crest bubble) is only slowed by the antiquated Bellevedere chair (possibly the oldest functional uplift in the Western alps other than the Flégere cable) and then, at busy periods the fast lift out of Top of Frachey funi. Otherwise it's a nice ski over.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy