Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes or Tignes and val Ski pass for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

We are a family of four, kids 8 and 11. Only skied once before in Austria.

We have booked to go to Tignes in December and my question is, as beginners do we need the combined ski pass of val and tignes. Or would just a tignes only ski pass suffice.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads @Skilock317 snowHead

There's a lot of pleasant, mellow skiing on the Val d'Isere side and it's nice to 'travel' but there is loads of skiing in the Tignes area so, as 1 weekers, it doesn't seem likely you'd use it all up.

Hence, I wouldn't say you need the full area but there would likely be some extra joy derived in return for extra cost: so it's really a matter of choice and how much the extra matters to you. For example, if it were to put a 2nd trip at risk - save your money!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Skilock317, welcome and I agree with @admin.
Another factor is whether any of your party will be in lessons in Tignes. If so, then less likely you'd get over to Val D and still have enough time (and maybe energy) left to explore it.
In your situation, I'd want minimum 3 days free of other commitments, and a reasonably early start time, to get over to Val D and enjoy what the slopes and town have to offer.
Worth noting that many blue (or even some green) pistes on the Espace Killy map are not to be underestimated. If you decide on the full area pass, snowHeads will have plenty of advice about best places to go/avoid Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Skilock317, Welcome to Snowheads - there are a couple of free lifts in Tignes so dependent on how much you all progressed in your week in Austria you might not need a full week pass.

I take it you'll be having lessons again so it might be worthwhile getting the full area pass - there's a fairly big area of long green runs (ideal for 2nd week improvers) that sits between the 2 resorts - I'm not sure you can access them all with just a Tignes only pass - i'm sure someone local will be along shortly to confirm where the Tignes local ski area stops.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are reasonably adventurous and can comfortably ski Blues, then it is nice to see the whole area...but it isn't essential.
As said above, if getting lessons (Evo 2 worth considering), you may well need the full area pass...and some of the grading is a little misleading. I think there is a family deal available for the lift pass.

The lift improvements have made accessing Val D'Isere even easier, as you don't have to ski there, from either the Bellvarde or Solaise side.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty much with what others have said.

Presumably you'll be taking lessons, so might be worth checking with what they require. For instance, the adult Class 1 lessons with the ESF last year required a full area pass IIRC.

There is plenty to keep you happily occupied in Tignes, but the trip over to Val is nice too. As Old Fartbag says, it's really easy to get across there (assuming you're based in either Le Lac or Val Claret), and there's lots of stuff there for early skiers. You don't have to make it all the way to the Pisaillas Glacier wink

Basically, if you can afford it, then go for it!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi All

Many thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

@atomicmick Where are the free lifts in Tignes?

Also we can all turn and parallel ski so not really considered lessons? Am I missing something?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skilock317 wrote:
Hi All

Many thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

@atomicmick Where are the free lifts in Tignes?

Also we can all turn and parallel ski so not really considered lessons? Am I missing something?

Which Tignes are you going to?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Next to the lake
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skilock317,
Some folk like to potter and pootle without the worry of how 'well' they're skiing - which is a perfectly acceptable way to enjoy skiing.
Some are nigh-on obsessed with improving their technique and getting better. I know people who must ski 70% or more of the time in lessons.

Personally, I've probably done maybe 60-80 weeks and I still like a lesson or two each season.
I find that it gives me a little boost forward and I enjoy the fact that I can do more difficult things more easily than I did before.

When our kids were that age though, we'd definitely be putting them in ski school for the mornings. The loved it, got better, got safer... these days my son is starting to out-ski me so I definitely need more lessons!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Skilock317, there are free lifts in le lac amd le lavachet but only very short and serve short beginner slopes, the slope served by the bollin lift in Val Claret is also free and a fair bit longer but gets very busy due to it being a main home run.

If you all can parallel ski then these lifts and slopes might be a bit too limiting for you though.

Wherabouts in Austria did you ski? Had you progressed enough to ski longer runs from the top of the mountain? Also it's worth bearing in mind that Tignes for the most part is treeless so can sometimes appear more daunting for some that are used to gentle winding tree lined slopes in other resorts.

As for the lessons - Admin's advice is spot on - depends what you want out of your skiing and your holiday but i'd recommend at least a refresher lesson early on in your holiday and then see how it goes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Skilock317,
Quote:

With the right instructor(s) you'd probably benefit a lot from more lessons in your 2nd week of skiing. The perfect time to try to avoid bad habits that skiers like me developed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In my experience, the price differential to have the full area instead of just a limited area is tiny (often in the order of 10 euros, e.g. 225 vs 215 !).
So even if you think you might like to build up to it for the end of the week, it is worth buying, and then you have the option all the time and don't need to worry about where you can and can't go.
If you find yourself up at Biollin/ Fresse, feeling good, with lots of time, then you can just go for it.

Best plan is to look online at what they are actually charging - I have just had a look and they aren't quoting Tignes only week rates currently. So suggest you check back in a few weeks.

Also bear in mind that there are good discounts for families - buying all 4 together will get you circa 10% off.
You may find that they only do those for Espace Killy - so a family Espace Killy may be cheaper than 2 Adults and 2 Kids for Tignes.

In short, look online - do the research - and be willing to pay 10 euros each for the greater flexibility (40 euros is nothing compared to the whole cost of the trip - less than the airport parking / taxi / train)

Enjoy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Found it now...
6 day Espace Killy Family of 4 = 890
6 Day Tignes 2 Adults + 2 Kids = 928

Its a no brainer - get the Family Espace Killy

http://www.skipass-tignes.com/fr/tous-tarifs

http://www.skipass-tignes.com/media/download/tignesb2c/cms/media/Tarifs%2016%2017/2016-2017%20FAMILLE%20HIVER.pdf
http://www.skipass-tignes.com/media/download/tignesb2c/cms/media/CGVCGU/2016-2017%20PASSTIGNES%20HIVER.pdf

Enjoy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Indeed, didn't realise the difference was so little. In that case I'd say there's no reason to not go with the full area pass: 38 euros considering the cost of even the cheapest skiing trip (which Tignes won't be in any case) is negligible. Go with the full area, and enjoy!
snow report
We are there from the 10th dec....

Are these the early prices or main season?
ski holidays
Probably a bit cheaper before 17 Dec. Those links above from @ajdetpwm, should give info you need.
Personally I'd leave buying passes until you know what snow coverage is and whether links between Tignes and Val D reliably open.
snow report
But based on those prices, its a no brainer. Dual pass cheaper than the single Tignes Happy

Once again thanks for the advice from everyone.

@admin I am a pootle round person rather than trying to master the discipline person, so will get on the slopes and see how we go.

@ajdetpwn cheers for the link.

Any advice on a decent ski school would be appreciated too.
snow report
Lac and Val Claret are linked by a good bus service, so using lifts in either village is easy.

The bus to Val Claret goes from a lower level, which is found by taking the steps down at the right hand side of the Maison de Tignes...which you can't miss and looks like this:
https://i71.servimg.com/u/f71/11/01/17/28/dsc07417.jpg
snow report
Skilock317 wrote:

Evolution 2 is a good mix of being decent, while being reasonably priced.

Other really good (probably more expensive) schools would be Progression, New Gen, BASS, Ali Ross Clinic, The Development Centre.

IMO. Children can benefit from the fun of skiing in a Class of their peers, while adults hugely benefit from a couple of private lessons...otherwise one ends up as a terminal Intermediate (nothing wrong with that, but the better you become, the more fun skiing gets.)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 11-11-16 17:41; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
Skilock317 wrote:

Even if you're not fussed yourself, get lessons for your kids.
snow report
Sorry missed that off. I was thinking of a ski school for the kids
snow conditions
Skilock317 wrote:
Sorry missed that off. I was thinking of a ski school for the kids

Ask if Stewart Woodward is available to teach them - you'll be able to find some of his posts on the Tignes snowreport thread.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy