Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a .... rucksack for hut-to-hut touring

Poster: A snowHead
What I have:

Mystery Ranch Sweet Pea, which I love, fits brilliantly, but is 20L at a push.

What I need:

Something that fits just as well but in the 35L - 40L. Not something too flimsy.

Use: hut to hut / multi-day tours. Obvious requirements e.g. space for shovel, probe etc., ski carry function (prefer A-frame rather than the diagonal thing), enough space for my smelly socks, some layers, wash kit etc.

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack 35-45. Great rucksack for ski mountaineering and alpinism. And uk hillwalking, too.

It's good for A-frame ski carry. Has S pace inside (but not a fancy dedicated pocket) for avy tools - but by not having a special pocket you save weight...and it's not any slower to get the kit out.

It's well made, robust, comfortable (for me anyway) and light. Compresses well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Inboard, sounds good. I'll put it on my shortlist!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a deuter guide 35+ - similar kind and size of pack to the Lowe one above but a bit heavier and more robust (good and bad aspects to that obviously - you see a lot of guides with them but then their gear needs to be harder wearing). I like it a lot - just sits very well when loaded for climbing or skiing. Good ski attachment.

The only other issue for you to consider is whether you are going to want an avibag at some point.
I've now got a bigger zip on for my ABS pack and I will probably use that for hut to hut trips in future. The Deuter is my go to for climbing and day hikes (given Dad seems to carry most of the stuff!).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/products/2396441001815/SCOTT-Air-MTN-AP-40-Pack
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Highlander Starav 35L is right up there.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2899745
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you'd like to stay within the tactical-y world maybe the 22 mag from Kifaru ? Compresses very well. Or as suggested above the Deuter guide 35+. Finally, if you are up for a bomb proof stripped down top-loader : AK series from Crux.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, all. Plenty of food for thought there. Of course, I'm now wondering about ABS etc. so that may put a whole spanner in the works.

What chance, you reckon, that this Black Friday nonsense might deliver some discounts on the ABS vario base unit?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ve got an Arcteryx Khamski 45 (but they do it in 35 as well) . really like it, but ££ and I was lucky enough to get it cheap end of season.

I like the look of the new Black Diamond Cirque 35 and 45 , also Avalung compatible. Not cheap either but I like the weight and simplicity from what I read.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Osprey Mutant 38 is my choice : takes about 45L, super light and well thought out design features http://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/mutant-38-14
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would definitely go for one with a dedicated pocket for shovel, probe etc. if you do end up needing to them its then not very practical having to dig them out from all your clothes and bits. For this reason I would generally avoid climbing packs as they are normally single compartment and not easy to get things out of in an emergency.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I do quite a bit of hut to hut touring for work which has lead me to what is I think the inevitable choice if you are going to spend a lot of time off-piste. An ABS bag, pricey but well fitting and a potential life saver. On my short list is the North Face Modulator which can fit on any back pack (so useful for small day tours and longer treks), or the ABS vario base unit which you can add a choice of backpacks to. I would have the small one it is often supplied with (18l I think), for day tours and add an Osprey Kamber ABS 42 for longer tours. The problem is the price...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've tried hut to hut ski tours with top loading sacks, but I've come to the conclusion that I prefer sacks with a zip because the centre of gravity sits in a better place.

I used one of these on my last tour and would happily use it again.

http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/r040/

All their sacks are made to order, they will add ski slots for an A frame carry if that's what you want.

Size wise it is about 35L, so ideal for a tour in a large group if you pack light, but it probably wouldn't be big enough for a two person multi day tour if carrying glacier gear.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

but I've come to the conclusion that I prefer sacks with a zip because the centre of gravity sits in a better place.

Interesting. Why do you say that? Surely it depends on the carrying system and how you pack the bag? Climbing sacks like the Deuter guide have back systems that hold the load very close to your back (at the cost of ventilation) and plenty of compression options to control the contents. After all balance is every bit as important when climbing as when skiing! Surely zips are more about ease of access (with some cost in terms of durability, expandability and weather proofness). As it happens the guide has a side zip to help you get to the bottom of what is quite a tall slim pack.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster wrote:
Quote:

but I've come to the conclusion that I prefer sacks with a zip because the centre of gravity sits in a better place.

Interesting. Why do you say that? Surely it depends on the carrying system and how you pack the bag? Climbing sacks like the Deuter guide have back systems that hold the load very close to your back (at the cost of ventilation) and plenty of compression options to control the contents. After all balance is every bit as important when climbing as when skiing! Surely zips are more about ease of access (with some cost in terms of durability, expandability and weather proofness). As it happens the guide has a side zip to help you get to the bottom of what is quite a tall slim pack.

I find that the only way to get the centre of gravity low with a climbing sack is to either leave the lid pocket empty, or to tuck the lid pocket inside the main compartment of the sack and do up the drawcord. When I was really into ice climbing that was the solution that I used to use. I don't find either solution particularly satisfactory.

Some top loading sacks have a removable lid, I havn't skied with one, but I have climbed with one and I found that the balance it offered (with lid removed) was comparable to an Aiguille 'sack with a zip.
latest report
fair enough - - taller slimmer packs do allow you to carry weight higher up which is not always a good thing. I notice that Osprey packs, in general, are squatter than most brands - even their top opening ones.
snow report
actually - come to think of it, the top part of a climbing sack is generally empty when you are climbing -you've pulled out your rack, harness and rope that was there on the walk in. A 35l sack for touring is going to be full on the downhill so its more of an issue. So for ski touring with a climbing pack you really want a 45l pack operating below capacity. A couple of the ones recommended in this thread are exactly that.
ski holidays
I've an Osprey Atmos AG65 that's used for Mountain Rescue duties and the wife has a much smaller Osprey for light stuff - well put together and I'm impressed how mine is standing up as it gets thrown about lots. Perhaps one of their mid-size bags might suit.
latest report
I bought the Mammut Trion Pro 35+7 for doing the haute route. It's at the pricier end of their range (before going into ABS bags anyway) but I wanted the separate pocket on the front to use for avi gear. I think it ticks most of your requirements. It's top loading or zip access from the back which is actually pretty handy as it opens up the entire back panel pretty much which makes access to stuff jammed right at the bottom still pretty easy. The waist strap can also be removed if you want to use it as a bit more of a casual pack rather than going out looking like you're off on some arctic expedition. Not really a deal breaker but a nice touch.

My only issues with it were that when fully loaded, it was a bit of a fiddle getting skis in as its quite a tight fit, but then my skis are 130mm ish at the tail so you may well be fine. Still wasn't a big issue but if you were going for something even bigger, they may not want to go in. The only other thing which seems to be a recurring issue with Mammuts smaller buckle clips is that they work themselves loose quite easily. This happened on the bag and my mammut transceiver and two other people I know have the same issue with their transceivers. I'm not really sure why but at a guess I'm thinking it's the material they use for the straps. It seems a bit more slick than other similar products and not quite as flexible so it doesn't seem to lock in place in the buckle quite as well as it should. Their larger buckles seem t work fine.

https://www.mammut.ch/GB/en_GB/B2C-Kategorie/Alpine-Climbing/Mixed-and-Ice-Climbing/Trion-Pro/p/2510-02222-3336
ski holidays
@el nombre, said
Quote:
...that they work themselves loose quite easily... I'm not really sure why but at a guess I'm thinking it's the material they use for the straps

A useful trick here (which I used successfully on a MacPac rucksack's straps) is to stitch some thread through the straps where they pass through the buckles, which effectively thickens/roughens the straps and helps to prevent them from slipping
snow report
Another vote for Deuter Guide 35+, although mine's the "speed-lite" version. Although lighter, it's still tough, and with a proper hip belt (I've noticed some more recent sacs are going for hip straps as opposed to hip belts, even with the bigger sizes). For touring, having pockets in each side of the hip belt is really useful - snacks, buffs, light gloves all easily accessible without having to stop and unload. On the strength of my preference for Deuter, I've just bought their ABS bag at a bargain price from Sport Conrad (http://www.sport-conrad.com/en/brands/deuter/). Obviously, it's heavier, and it's as well built as their normal bags, but I can't comment much more as I haven't used it yet.
snow report
Whatever sac you go for, this shoulder strap bottle holder is a really useful bit of kit if, like me, you don't like hydration systems:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bottle-holder-strap-accessory-id_8247095.html

Unfortunately, it's out of stock at present, but you can get other brands.
snow conditions
Whatever pack you go for, just remember "light is right" !

The bigger the pack the more crap you tend to pack!

And @Chamcham, I spent a while searching for a bottle holder like that, as I too don't like hydration systems as just something else to go wrong, and found something similar. Though my OH's pack and my old Osprey have a pouch on the side for stashing bottles.

I'm doing a big hut to hut in some unguarded huts in March on the way down to Nice - so I'll be using my fifteen year old Hagloffs 40lt for that!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, My Deuter has side bottle pockets too, but it isn't easy to replace the bottle without help or removing the pack. Also, the bottles get in the way of A frame skis.The great thing about the one on the shoulder strap is that you can easily take a sip while on the move, so there's little disincentive to stay hydrated.
ski holidays
@Chamcham, that's what mates are for to help you take each others bottle out Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Update on this: figured, after trying very hard to convince myself otherwise, that if I'm touring more than 12 days/year I might as well suck it up and go the ABS route. Have gone with the EVOC 35l zip-on. You couldn't call it light, but I am very capable of packing almost naff all (who needs clean undercrakers anyway?) and the fit is better than I expected.

Here's to never having to deploy the damn thing actually on the mountain Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy