Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BBC 4 now, programme on avalanches

Poster: A snowHead
looks well worth whatching
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just watched on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0824cw7/dangerous-earth-1-avalanche
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was it me or did not the word "wind" feature in the whole programme ???!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@On the rocks, I thought it well worth watching and it gave me some new insights. It includes headcam footage from a skier swept about 200m and buried 2m deep in 'concrete' snow. Happily he survived and was interviewed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless I was mistaken one of his rescuers was digging with a ski, rather than a shovel, which was a little strange. Also, there was no mention a transceiver being used, which may tie in with the no shovel for the rescue.

For me the biggest insight was the multiple layers of the following flows, the sort of elation of surviving, then being buried again seconds later Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone manage to identify where exactly his avalanche happened in Verbier?

I'm sure he must have had a transceiver on - he was buried 2m deep but dug out after 5 minutes. Would be practically impossible without one, and very impressive with!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think he had a transceiver on (wouldn't they have said?). But the commentary said he ended up upside-down (head 2 m under?) and I think his skis stayed on which may have protruded above the surface.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 12-11-16 11:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Watched it on youtube ( iPlayer not allowed outside the UK for some reason ). I thought it was good, but only in a sensationalist sort of way. There have been other videos showing the multiple flows thing. One was also in Verbier, where a guy basically came to a complete stop on top of the snow only to be buried by a subsequent flow, all captured in awful detail on his headcam. I wonder how effective an airbag would be under those circumstances. I suspect not very.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If the sensationalist parts make people think about risks they take and equipment they carry, then it may have a useful impact.
To be fair to the programme, it did include scientific explanations about properties of snow and how that affects what happens in some avalanches. Overall, a good balance I think.

Another interesting bit was when a heavily reinforced avalanche research pod was engulfed, by a deliberately triggered avi, which turned out way more powerful than planned.
The research guys inside managed to look quite relaxed, as snow rushed through their steel reinforced door, causing an air pressure surge inside the pod and a lot of digging to get out. Respect due!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Clearly in half an hour they could not cover the whole topic, I learnt a couple of things because of the clear explanations. I didn't find it sensationalist, but I did think the fella was very lucky to get out in 5 mins, he clearly finished up quite close to his mates and as he was reasonably close to the pistes I suspect there was a cut across for the pisteurs. I didn't see any evidence of off piste kit in the admittedly short time the coverage gave.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang wrote:
Watched it on youtube ( iPlayer not allowed outside the UK for some reason ).

Do you have a link please?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/rR571KLaw8w
There you go.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
enjoyed the program very intresting
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not a bad program and I don't think it was aimed specifically at skiers despite the footage. The cause of the Everest fatalities was very interesting. Presumably better to lie down than be blown off your feet by the pressure wave ?

I'm going to try and get the stl file for the 3d printed snowpack model the SLF guy had, and run one or two off.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AndAnotherThing.., There was a pressure wave incident in Saas-Fee a good few years back, when an avalanche came off the Dom. Many stood and watched the powder Avalanche come down, 'safe' on the opposite side of the Fee glacier valley. When it hit the valley floor the compression wave blew those on the edge down the piste breaking bones Sad
snow conditions
I thought it was quite interesting, it certainly gave me the heebies when he was buried. @Steilhang, I have 'Cloak' on my laptop so that I can watch IPlayer, its very good, but maybe not worth the subscription for the odd programme.
snow report
@PowderAdict, Ouch ! I recall seeing the broken tree's on the other side of the valley after a biggie in the Aosta Valley a few years ago. A lot of energy going on for sure.
latest report
@Steilhang, thanks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy