Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian speeding fine

Poster: A snowHead
Just received a 35 Euro speeding fine, 56kmh in 50kmh limit. Seems a bit over zealous, 6 kmh (4mph) over the limit, but there it is, a fine nevertheless. How do I pay it? There is no payment information on the letter. Anybody got any experience on this? Is there a time limit for the fine/offence to be enforced?
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BTW the offence took place early April this year.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidthornton, Do all the details match, time, date, location, car etc?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems an unusual thing. Were you in a UK car or Austrian Hire Car?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidthornton, I was always under the impression that if there's any "grace" it's 10%. So not that unreasonable...

No idea. Must be a website or an authority on the ticket?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Details are correct, I saw the camera flash at the time. I was driving a hire car. In the U.K. there seems to be a 10% allowance plus the local police authorities consideration, i.e. some forces will possibly not prosecute 30-35mph (30mph limit) and 70-80mph on motorways. Though North Wales police did enforce limits very strictly, drivers often got prosecuted for 31mph in 30mph zones.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Since the hire car company either passed on your details, or forwarded fine, I would contact them for advice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I had one the bank details to transfer were on the back of the notice. Annoyingly it cost more for the hire car admin fee and bank fee than the fine cost
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had two on the way to Kappl a couple of years ago. Was a hire car from Zurich and also took ages to find its way to me. Two different mountain tunnels.

I ended up paying over the phone as was cheaper for some reason. Given my lack of German I asked a colleague to do the talking.

I remember total cost was about 100 euro Twisted Evil

I am super careful now!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do they not offer a speed awareness course wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@endoman, speed awareness courses available on most pistes. Laughing
I've emailed Berzirkhauptmannschaft Landeck for further details.
@Bennyboy1, might try the phone. Bank transfers are notoriously expensive, not about to turn 35 Euros into 100 Euros cost, rather ignore it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidthornton,Transferwise is pretty reasonable.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have no information but this prompted a question. I'm a US citizen. Are speeding laws that strictly enforced throughout Europe? 10 miles per hour over here seems pretty routine. Heck, on the main route between Providence, RI and Boston MA (speed limit is 65 mph) you'll almost get run over if you're only going 75. I actually wish things were much more strictly enforced. But if we ever drive in Europe, it would be good to know that the speed limit is indeed, the speed limit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidthornton, I had to pay €20 or so from my credit card co to pass detail of a speeding fine on to Austrian authorities a few years ago. I remember camera flashing a few km over limit but never received actual fine. Think it's just a wee tidy money maker dude
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RISkier, I think all Euroland enforce speed limits fairly vigorously. Years ago I'd think nothing of driving up and down our motorway system with cruise control at 100; but heavier traffic, speed cameras and over enthusiastic enforcement has meant I tend to cruise around 80/85 now, but keep my eyes open for the bill.

The 10% thing is actually a bit of a myth brought around by the car manufacturers. They don't want to be sued by a motorist who got done for speeding when their speedo showed they were under the limit, so they set up the speedo to overstate your speed to avoid liability.

That's why a GPS system, which is more accurate, would usually show you are going slower than your car would suggest.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:

The 10% thing is actually a bit of a myth brought around by the car manufacturers. They don't want to be sued by a motorist who got done for speeding when their speedo showed they were under the limit, so they set up the speedo to overstate your speed to avoid liability.

No it's not, it's a requirement of the Motor Vehicle approval regulations that a car speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph. So for a true speed 40mph the speedo can show anything between 40mph and 50.25mph.

Good Luck

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-11-16 13:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@davidthornton, I received one in the summer, for a transgression back in Feb. Like the UK system, there was a 'discount' for settling early. I just called them and paid using Credit card....with my thought process being, it just wasn't worth the worry of whether anything would happen next time I was driving in Austria.
snow conditions
Every vehicle so far I have checked so far has been 3% - 7% out. I tend to use my GPS reading especially on mainland Europe as the km figures on my car speedo are rather small.
snow conditions
Last time I got a speeding ticket in Austria, I just paid it next time I went back, it was a few years ago but I think I just paid it at a random bank. I guess someone must had advised me you could do that.
snow report
I had mine when driving from solden back to the airport...notice came from austrian authorities..not the hire company....i Just ignored it... Never heard anything since... That was eight years ago, if your hire company sends you the bill they apparrently can take it from your credit card but im not too sure on that these days.. Obvously the cameras are null and void with using a UK car plate..
latest report
@yorkshirelad, The hire companies probably can just nip it out of the credit card. They have permission from you in your terms to keep your card details and also to auto charge for stuff.
Sometimes I wonder whether cancelling your card after you return from holiday may be a good option as then it can't be used!

I believe Austrian law is 6% over the limit.

@ratherbewindsurfing, I think that is exactly what @Mosha Marc is suggesting.
The car shows a generous speed rather than a truly accurate one probably to avoid you getting a ticket at the liability of a speedo saying you are going slower than the limit.
snow report
@JimboS, thought I might do that in Jan. Had thought of ignoring it, but for 35 Euros seems a small price to pay for peace of mind in case I was pulled or flashed again by men in lederhosen with blue flashing lights! As @Timberwolf, the phone and c/c might be more straightforward, easy enough, done and dusted, ready for the next encounter! How about just bunging 35 Euros in an envelope and posting it?
Thanks for the feedback all.
snow conditions
If it was me it go straight in the bin. Unless they sent it recorded delivery there is no proof you received it. If there was more than one driver on the hire agreement how can they enfore a fine on one person? Finally, I doubt very much of there will be a link between your license and passport so highly unlikely there would be an issue at Passport Control.
latest report
flangesax wrote:

Sometimes I wonder whether cancelling your card after you return from holiday may be a good option as then it can't be used!

Hey, that's my trick Madeye-Smiley
snow report
35 Euros is a bargain. In Finland they base it on your salary. Euro 100,000+ fine for a Nokia boss http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1759791.stm.

Don't suppose they can enforce it for tourists, apart from in Scandinavia where the scumbags share information.
latest report
Themasterpiece wrote:
.. Don't suppose they can enforce it for tourists, apart from in Scandinavia where the scumbags share information.

In my city the "scumbags" would be those who can't drive within the law. It's all a question of perspective I guess.

It's fairly likely that my car is very much faster than yours, but you probably don't want me to demonstrate that outside your childrens' school.
snow conditions
@Gaza, all correspondence sent by the Austrians was recorded delivery. First letter, in German, incomprehensible Austrian regulation and requirements, I returned stating that I did not speak or read German and did not understand the context of the letter. I then received an English version, why that wasn't sent in the first place puzzles. The letter asked for my name and address as driver. A further letter, in German, stated, for the first time, the offending speed and limit and requests payment of 35 Euros. I didn't need a translation on this one, fairly obvious. The first correspondence arrived early August, they're certainly persistent, all for 4 mph over the limit! I'll pay it though.
ski holidays
Don't be a sucker.

Throw it in the trashcan.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't be a sucker.

Pay your debt to society and write it down to experience
snow report
[quote="philwig"]
Themasterpiece wrote:

It's fairly likely that my car is very much faster than yours, but you probably don't want me to demonstrate that outside your childrens' school.

it's fairly likely I don't want you doing anything outside any school.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy