Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many Snowheads have been in/close to life threatening Avalanches?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Many years ago at Argentiere three of us on a traverse highline went past and above two guys who had just dropped in. We chose not to drop down but continued on about 1800 feet laterally. When we dropped down by about 700 vertical we heard that ugly rumble and yelled to each other, looked around and above...... Nothing. But in the direction of the other chute where the two guys were there was light spray. We stayed put for about ten minutes then slowly made our way down and exited as safely as we could. The two guys parished in that slide.

Alpine - the Sierra's - had a massive amount of snow in both 1980 and then in 1982, again in 1985. In '82, close to or over 4,000 cm of snow that season. Ya, that much. NOT uncommon in a big year. The mountain at that time around March on into April - and Squaw next door had an average base of roughly 1,200 cm. It was pretty disturbing to be standing on a ridge cognizant of the fact that you were a solid 1,000 cm or 30 feet ABOVE where you normally were, physically ABOVE trees, ridges that much higher and the lift chairs ad towers many times were BELOW the base that was gated off. Insane. In late March a slide kicked off from the north and killed several people both on the mountain and the parking lot. I skied Alpine a great deal with one of my closest friends back then who still lives in Homewood. On that day he had just left to go home by no more than twenty minutes and I was taking the day off. What can one say?

About 25 years ago I chose to go out of bounds at Zermatt while on a vacation for 10 days. I won't describe what happened but I came as close to losing my life as one possibly could and then some. And then some, period. Why I did not die I still have trouble/trauma dealing with. Perhaps angels do v. much exist or my deceased mother was guarding over me from Valhalla more than I realize. I really should not have survived. I strictly stay in bounds no matter where I am since then which the majority of the time is in Colorado. I like being alive.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ducked a rope in Avoriaz many years ago, to ski the 3m strip of fresh between the Coupe du Monde piste and the cliffs above the Crozats bowl (I can see it now through the living room window Skullie ). It broke away, took me over the 10m cliff, and avalanched the sidewall of the bowl on impact. Fortunately I came out on top, a bit beaten up and with no kit.

I now wear a transponder, but haven't invested in an airbag for the local gentle off-piste I know well. I would hire an airbag for the occasional guided/heli/big-day with the boys etc. but knowledge and above all prudence are far more valuable. I always take a few seconds to gaze up at the site when kitting-up for a powder day...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@shep,
yeah and I bet you factor in the "consequences" element of the risk calculation a bit more heavily these days Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jedster, Oh yes Blush , it was a wake-up call! The thing that still haunts me was the ashen look on my then girlfriend's face when she and my buddies got to me, having been obliged to ski a fairly sketchy line themselves. Thinking about your loved ones is the best basis for a risk assessment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Then girlfriend as in now wife, rather than " I'm not investing any more emotional commitment in him after this"?

Fark. I've walked away from a couple of not ski related Mtn eff ups where death would have been a non negible possibility but that is up there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing, the lovely Lotte naffed orf at the end of the season. Glad you survived to entertain us all on here! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy