Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

6 days in St Anton, then 4 in...where?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a solo trip in mid March to St Anton, which for this Yank seems to be the next notch on the bedpost in Europe (after Zermatt, Val/Tignes and the 3V). Staying in Lech since I like my quiet, and it looks like my timing is lucky in terms of new lifts fixing some holes in the interconnectivity. If Kitz were higher I would not be asking the question, but like this one I booked the aforementioned trips well in advance and ended up needing their high elevation, so I'm a little gunshy. Considering Obergurgl and/or Solden due to elevation/glaciers. Both seem inferior to Kitz other than elevation, though. Maybe go to Kitz and if it sucks, make day trips to the glaciers? Just stay in Lech the entire 10 days? I'd rather have some reservations...I don't want to just wing it and end up sleeping in the car, I'm too old for that! For what its worth, being solo, off-piste will be lower on my list, and I especially liked the reds at V/T and 3V. Also, I saw a pension in Kitz called Pension Feirersinger, which seemed to fit the bill....any intel on it (or recommendations for a pension with the presumably conflicting attributes of close to lifts, quiet, and reasonable cost)? Thanks, cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kitsch would work... I prefer Saalbach in that area.

Obergurgl is grim and Solden isn't much better - but that may not bother you and they are snow-sure.

If I was you I'd have the other 4 days in stanton too Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*Mid-march: definitely no worries about accomodation, you can wait until last minute and check the snowconditions
*How about Samnaun, the quieter side of Ischgl? If you like the reds in France, you'll like the Silvretta Arena
*Where are you staying in Lech? You are aware that Lech is more expensive than St.Anton?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay in Mathon. Very quiet and a 5 minute free bus ride into Ischgl.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. This info may embolden me to wing it on those last four days. Langerzug, I'm staying in Lech at Pension Mallaun. Yes, I've read it is more expensive than St A, though it seems fine cost-wise. I'm hoping it will be quieter and a little more mellow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ishgl?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scooter in Seattle,
Pension Mallaun should be fine. Never been, but considered it some years ago. One of the more reasonable priced options near Lech-centre. No ski-in/out, but very walkable. Lech also offers good ski/shoe storage near the lifts.
Lech is the quieter/prettier side of the Arlberg. Mellow maybe? But definitely a (very) upmarket resort, which some people find a bit too much here and there.
On the other hand, Lech is not as showy as St.Moritz or Courchevel 1850 (Although Lech-Zürs has more 5***** hotels) . Lech and everywhere around the Arlberg retains a serious sporty skiing atmosphere.
Be sure to make reservations for dinner. Going for dinner without reservations can be very irritating in Lech.
Some reasonable priced restaurants in Lech: Hotel Omesberg, Lecher Stube, Ambrosius, Olympia, Don Enzo.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Planning a solo trip in mid March to St Anton, which for this Yank seems to be the next notch on the bedpost in Europe (after Zermatt, Val/Tignes and the 3V). Staying in Lech since I like my quiet, and it looks like my timing is lucky in terms of new lifts fixing some holes in the interconnectivity. If Kitz were higher I would not be asking the question, but like this one I booked the aforementioned trips well in advance and ended up needing their high elevation, so I'm a little gunshy. Considering Obergurgl and/or Solden due to elevation/glaciers. Both seem inferior to Kitz other than elevation, though. Maybe go to Kitz and if it sucks, make day trips to the glaciers? Just stay in Lech the entire 10 days? I'd rather have some reservations...I don't want to just wing it and end up sleeping in the car, I'm too old for that! For what its worth, being solo, off-piste will be lower on my list, and I especially liked the reds at V/T and 3V. Also, I saw a pension in Kitz called Pension Feirersinger, which seemed to fit the bill....any intel on it (or recommendations for a pension with the presumably conflicting attributes of close to lifts, quiet, and reasonable cost)? Thanks, cheers.

Kitz? ....... Kitzbühel ...... Kitzsteinhorn ...... Kitzingen ...... Kitzloch?

Mind you don't end up in the wrong place.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
6 days St Anton, 4 in Lech......@Scooter in Seattle, max out the Arlberg
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, good suggestion on the restaurants, my innkeeper suggested the same. As for which "Kitz", yikes, thanks for setting me straight. Kitzbuhel was intended, but maxing out the Arlberg does seem like a good option. One other thing while I have some of you: flying into Munich and would prefer to bury my speedo (and not myself) on the autobahn that heads for Garmisch-P. But my innkeeper said to go via Innsbruck. Thoughts? Also FYI I haven't been everywhere, but the rental car pricing at Munich is the cheapest I've ever seen, by far. In fact, the flght, really everything is cheaper vs. France. Beyond stoked, thanks all.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scooter in Seattle,
Did you already book your flight? Zürich is closer than München, and better train connection, or the Arlberg Express shuttle.
Via Garmisch you'll need to drive the Fernpass. (But then you will also have to drive the Arlberg- and Flexenpass anyway)
My suggestion would be to drive via Lindau/Feldkirch. Or not drive at all actually. Don't underestimate the chance you'll need snowchains in the Arlbergregion.
What is your arrivalday? If on Saturday means another reason to avoid driving yourself. Traffic on a sunny Saturday can be disastrous (weekend skiers from Southern Germany)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Langerzug. I love to drive and may move around depending on conditions. Good intel on the traffic; I'm midweek coming in, but returning to MUC on a Sunday, so I'll bolt early to beat the traffic as best I can. Reserving an AWD vehicle took about 8 hours of hassle, and it cost about 50% more than other nice cars without AWD, but I got it done (learned a lot about four letter codes they use). BTW, some of your restaurant suggestions match those of my innkeeper, well done and thanks again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You don't need an AWD vehicle. Take a normal car from the rental company but make sure it has winter tyres and chains. If the weather is bad then the Police in Austria will not let you continue along certain roads without chains on. AWD will do you no good at all and you will be turned around if you can't put chains on.
If you arrive midweek then the easiest drive is straight down the Munich Lindau autobahn and into Austria near Bregenz.
As you mentioned in your original post that you prefer piste skiing then I would recommend moving for your last 4 days. Ischgl would be your best bet in my opinion - excellent reds and blacks and less than an hour to transfer between the two. 6 days will probably be enough if you are sticking to the pistes in Arlberg. Lech is fabulous as is St Anton and everything in between but the big attraction is off piste.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As mentioned an AWD is no guarantee that you will legally be obliged to put on chains after heavy snowfall.
You don't need to worry about heavy traffic on sundays. Saturday is the day holidaymakers change. Most people in the Alps book full week holidays, Saturday-Saturday. On top of this come the Austrian/German/Swiss daytrippers. Sunday is much quieter
For restaurants your host probably also mentioned Hus 8. Another good one is Alpenblick in Zug. There are many more good restaurants of course, but these are mainly of the 'fine dining' type, with fine pricing as well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll echo others who say to wait to sort out the other 4 days. Accommodation will be easy to find that time of the year. If snow is still good at lower elevations, do Kitzbuhl; if not, do Ishgl.

As a fellow Yank, I think you made the right call on Lech. It is quieter and very nice, but not too luxe feeling in my opinion. We had a great trip there in 2012. I enjoy the piste skiing much more in that sector than in St. Anton too. The benefit to skiing around SA in my opinion is more the off piste than on. You do need to apres over there one day though just to soak it in.
snow report
It is clear that joining this group was one of the smarter things I've done in a while, not always my long suit. Just got my map, and now I get why going via Bregenz makes sense. Yep, the innkeep did mention Hus 8. As for chains: I'm hearing that a ton, which is not how its done in the western US. We do AWD or chains....an easy choice. But I'll have them; I'm not coming all that way to get turned around! Thanks to you folks, I've now got the guts to wing it on those 4 days, should be great.
ski holidays
In Austria the "Schneekettenpflicht" goes for all vehicles, with trucks ("Lastkraftwagen, LKW") much more often obliged than normal cars. ("Personenkraftwagen, PKW")
Only when explicitly mentioned, wintertyres and/or AWD are allowed to drive without chains.
They even make a difference for driving AWD uphill ("Allradfahrzeuge bergwärts") and downhill. Uphill is often allowed to go without chains...but of course often after going uphill, a downhill stretch follows (or the other way around....) Toofy Grin
The passroads in The Alps in general are steeper than in the Rockies!
snow conditions
More good info, thanks Langerzug. May the dumpage begin right after I clear Flexen Pass!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy