Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia - Is a Guide worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,
we're off to Cervinia this New Year (with no small thanks to advice received on here!).

We're a group of Intermediate skiers (with one stubborn boarder!) and for the first time, we're not intending to get lessons for anyone.

What that means, is that for the first time, we effectively won't have a local expert show us around the pistes...

So, my general question was whether it was worth us hiring a guide from the ski school (if poss) on the first day to show us the best parts of the mountain - rather than discover them on day 5!

(A couple of us may book a private lesson, but that would be later in the week once we've got our groove back...)

Thanks,
Heeb
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you going off piste?

If so yes, if not I can't see it's necessary.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No need at all. The piste map is easy to follow and a good intermediate could cover the whole Cervinia side in a couple of days. From memory the best runs are over towards Valtournenche. The link to Zermatt is a must, much more variety over there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No guide necessary

It's a good 20 years since I was there but queenb is right about the run down to Valtourneche, also there's a great run down from town the very top cable car down to town which I think might be called ventina or centina (?).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last year, New Year well into Jan there was little to no off piste allowed due to unstable snow conditions...so be careful about prebooking and paying in advance.

In terms of on piste as@under a new name said...you really dont need it for on piste, just ask the best runs on here!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For on piste? Definitely not. Although there are lots of pistes you just need to make sure you get up to the top of four areas (look at the piste map): the lift that goes closest to Cervino (the Matterhorn); Theodulpass; Testa Grigia; and Colle Superiore delle Ciami Bianche. From there choose the pistes you prefer and ski down to Plan Maison and/or Breuil-Cervinia. You must go over to Valtournenche. You get over there by going up to Colle Superiore delle Ciami Bianche. From there it is like Cervinia. There are several pistes but basically you either take the northern (left on the map but skiers right) or southerly route down to Salette. From there there is only one way down to Valtournenche (nice route mind particularly if the snow is good).

If you go over to Zermatt things get more complicated because of time to get up to be most northerly pistes and time to get back so as not to miss the last lift back. A lot of people who come over from Cervinia don't get any further than the Klein Matterhorn and Schwarzsee which is a pity. There is some great skiing to be had there but at new year it can be dark as those are very north facing areas. We'll be there at that time but actually we usually spend a lot of time over your side then to enjoy your glorious sunshine.

If you mean off piste then other than the side of the piste areas or the itineraries on the Swiss side I would always say yes if only for safety reasons.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all - much appreciated!

JohnMo wrote:
If you go over to Zermatt things get more complicated because of time to get up to be most northerly pistes and time to get back so as not to miss the last lift back. A lot of people who come over from Cervinia don't get any further than the Klein Matterhorn and Schwarzsee which is a pity. There is some great skiing to be had there but at new year it can be dark as those are very north facing areas. We'll be there at that time but actually we usually spend a lot of time over your side then to enjoy your glorious sunshine.

hadn't heard that before - something to bear in mind - thanks again!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good info..cheers, we are there for first week in march, never been before and my group will probably look to me to be piste map holder..😝😕😕😕 again...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy