Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French ski resorts for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I would like to resorts recommendations in France for beginners in skiing and a good village with some shops and restaurants.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads @puff3ra!

Can you give a bit more information about your circumstances? Are you a group of adults or a family group? Are you flying to France or willing to drive (assuming you are UK based?). Any preference for self catering or catered chalet (and linked to this, any budget in mind)?

Without a bit of narrowing, you are in danger being recommended almost any resort in France at this at rate Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And, why France?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@puff3ra, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead I'd suggest two resorts as examples of what's available, I'm sure other sHs will chip in with their recommendations.

1. Flaine. This is a 1960s purpose built resort whose architecture was described by the tour op rep as "Benidorm on snow!" Laughing However, it does have the advantage that the skiing area is a sort of bowl with the different runs all coming back down to the flattish area at the bottom where the ski schools meet. Plenty of self catering accommodation.
2. In contrast, you could go to a place which is based around original French villages. One example would be Serre Chevalier, which consists of a number of villages (and one town, Briancon) strung along the valley with skiing on the slopes above.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So, I live in Brazil and I will be in my vacations in Milan in febreuary/17. I will be with my wife and maybe one more couple. I didn't decide about transport, I have 2 options, or I will take bus/train or I will rent a car. In addition to France, can be in Italy this resort.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@puff3ra, If you are flying into Milan, then as beginners you should definitely consider Livigno. It's set in a high valley, so is snow sure. The beginner slopes are easily accessible from the town. In fact as it's so suitable for beginners that for the last two years snowHeads has held a Bash for beginners in Livigno, the details of next year's are here. Although it doesn't coincide with your travel dates there's still some useful info about Livigno there. Also for historical reasons it's a duty free area, so you'll find that drinks (if you want any) are relatively cheap! Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 8-11-16 14:06; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That helps a lot, thanks! There are others on here who know much more about Italian resorts than me, especially within striking distance of Milan. I do know that Italian resorts I've been to tend to be much busier at weekends as get a lot of city visitors just for skiiing on their days off work.

From Milan you could head west towards Aosta valley, or east (and north) to the Dolomites. I'll have to leave others to recommend where would best suit beginners as a resort, though the Dolomites I think will be your best bet, and are stunning.

EDIT. Quick google search suggests Passo Tonale as a good location for beginners and not too far from Milan either.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@puff3ra, I'd agree that if you are going to be travelling to Italy, it makes sense to ski in Italy! You will presumably be having ski lessons? For group lessons you need to be aware of the "start of the week" arrangements - In France almost always Sundays because people arrive in resort on Saturdays. Private lessons are more expensive but if there are four of you sharing the cost, would make sense. You could then have much more flexibility about timing, and more personal attention. Good luck! And welcome to snowheads.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd recommend montgenevre. Just over the border from Italy in France (linked to Italian resorts by pistes and lifts). There's a big fenced off area for beginners by the village so you don't get disturbed by the faster skiers and once you've mastered that, a lovely green run from the top of the mountain all the way down to the village.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello,

Thank you for the recomendations. I liked Livigno, I will study about this trip to there. Montgenevre is cool too, but the resort seems to be smaller.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@puff3ra, As you'll see, Livigno already has snow! http://www.livigno.com/en/sport/verificare/webcam/webcam1.htm

P.S I fixed the link error to Livigno in my previous posting.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@puff3ra, As you'll see, Livigno already has snow! http://www.livigno.com/en/sport/verificare/webcam/webcam1.htm

Nice. Is there any green piste in Livigno?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think Italians have green pistes do they? Or if they do, they are exceedingly rare. I wouldn't get too hung up on the colour grading of a slope, since you're beginners you'll be taking lessons, and the instructors will know best what level of slope you're capable of skiing. Plus, one resort's blue can be another resort's green (or red). In addition, the difficulty of a slope can vary considerably in time, depending on condition of the snow (hard, icy snow is much harder to ski, particularly when starting out), whether it's been groomed, time of day, etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
puff3ra wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Nice. Is there any green piste in Livigno?

It's quite a few years since I was last in Livigno, but rest assured that there are several gentle beginner ski slopes served by short drag lifts which are suitable for beginners.

If you're interested in Livigno and flying into Milan (which has two airports by the way, Milano Malpensa and Milano Linate, as well as the nearby Bergamo airport) then you could either rent a car at the airport (make sure it has winter tyres) or you might prefer to use the Livigno airport transfer coach service as you won't really have much use for the hire car once you are in resort.

Hope this helps. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want a village feel do not go to Flaine.

It makes sense to stay in italy so Selva, Sause d'Oulx or Livigno would all fit the bill.

But you do not say what time you want to go and how flexible you are. There are quite a lot of small village based ski resorts in Italy, if it is a average snow year then one of them will do. As beginners you don't need a big resort.
snow report
I have 2 weeks in my vacations. I thought in stay 1 week in Livigno (or other) and 1 week in Davos, because is near Livigno (I would like to go to Zermatt, but is far from Livigno and I think the logistics a bit complicated to get there. I'm intereseted in visit Switzerland, because is a country that I never visited. My dates is from 16/02 to 02/03.
snow conditions
My dates is from 16/02 to 02/03. OK the snow should be good then.

Livigno is a good beginners resort.

St Moritz Klosters Davos are within easy driving distance of Livigno assuming the tunnel is open. Most hotels will be NOSE BLEED expensive. But you can find less expensive accommodation outside the resorts but on ski bus routes with a bit of searching.

Zermatt is not a suitable resort for beginners and early intermediates IMHO
latest report
I think almost any resort can be suitable for beginners and early intermediates provided you are with a good instructor and stick to the pistes he or she has introduced you to. Starting to "explore" on your own can turn quite scary, in some resorts and no doubt Zermatt is one of them!
snow report
Quote:

My dates is from 16/02 to 02/03.

Then definitely do not go to France. That's peak French holiday time, everything will be crowded and expensive.
ski holidays
TQA wrote:

St Moritz Klosters Davos are within easy driving distance of Livigno assuming the tunnel is open. Most hotels will be NOSE BLEED expensive. But you can find less expensive accommodation outside the resorts but on ski bus routes with a bit of searching.

Zermatt is not a suitable resort for beginners and early intermediates IMHO

What do you prefer, Davos or St Moritz?
snow conditions
Neither were really in my price bracket when I was skiing in Europe but I visited both on day trips from other resorts.

St Moritz has better scenery and a more traditional chocolate box town. Probably has better intermediate slopes too.

Both resorts have ski areas that do not link together except by free ski bus.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy