Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Germany

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

I am thinking of taking a trip to Germany this year and I am looking for some advice.

What are people's favourite resorts, skiing wise, atmosphere and price? and any other general info

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine would be garmisch partinkerchin, the area pass covers ervald lermoos and the zugspitz area, fairly good skiing, but in Garmisch itself the apres ski not at the bottom of the mountain. The Kandahar and the olympic are two very nice runs, with the kandahar being quite steep in places
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No German resort is going to give you the extensive pistes that you get in Austria or France but you can still have a great time for 3 or 4 days. Garmisch is the best known but is very much a working town rather than a ski resort. Lenggries is well worth a look. Very easy to access on the train from Munich or by car from Munich Airport. Some lovely skiing as long as the conditions are good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a short day, Wendelstein (accessed from either Bayrischzell or Brannenburg) has some fun - the black down to Brannenburg in particular can be good. But not sure it's really worth the trip unless you're staying nearby or passing and have a couple of hours to spare.

Sudelfeld (same area) is good you're with kids or beginners.

Lots of great tours in those hills, too, particularly when the snowline is low and avalanche conditions poor in the bigger hills.

Garmisch also fun.

Kleinwalsertal has some good stuff too.

checkout bergfex for info on all of the options
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@biddpyat, +1 for Garmisch, even if the Kandahar is too steep for me! There is an alternative black run to the valley that I prefer, the Hornabfahrt, or some nice reds.

If you prefer a quiet resort with wide cruisy blues and reds, then Ehrwalder Alm on the same lift pass as Garmisch is ideal. Lermoos is also quite close.

If there is no snow low down, the Zugspitze glacier area is open until May.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We skied the Black Forest last Easter based in Feldberg and it was a series of fun half[ish] days. We finished about 2pm most days because of the temperatures/snow conditions, but you could certainly spend a few days skiing there without getting bored. There are several other small hills near to the main area as well if it's a good snow year.

PS - flew to Basel/Mullhouse as it is always cheap and really quiet (and I like the Grimbergen in the airport bar). It's just over an hours drive to Feldberg.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went to Oberstaufen once and stayed in a really nice place, think it was called Belle Vue? Skiing not extensive but OK. Probably best for beginners & intermediates, it was only my 3rd or 4th time skiing. Very close to Memmingham airport where Ryanair used to go. Don't know if they still do
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, the hotel was superb, and you got a Black Forest card free that allowed you to travel on all local public transport (I think, certainly local trains & ski buses) and doubled as your lift pass.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awesome, thanks for the pointers folks, seem like it's best for a short trip, long weekend type of ski. Have been looking into it and I didn't realise all the little resorts that existed around Germany!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why not do multi centre holiday. Do Garmisch/Zugspitze/Lermoos for a few days, then head into Austria or to the West if you want to stay in Germany. If the snow if good there are little hills everywhere.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Germany resorts are small.

Garmisch is the best.

Do a weekender.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You also have Oberstdorf area which includes Fellhorn/Nebellhorn and Ifen. Ideally you need a car to get around, but all have a days worth of skiing in each resort. Oberstdorf is quite pricey as its classed as a spar town, but a really nice area with some challenging runs to be had. Note though that this is not really a beginners area, my O/H found some of the blues challenging...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I enjoyed four days in Garmisch and the Zugspitz with a really fun day at Oberammergau's ski area. Some interesting and quite challenging skiing here.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meant to write Spa town for Oberstdorf (they probably do have a Spar as well Puzzled ). As @musher, has stated Feldberg is a great area, but has to be done in quiet periods as the lift queues can be horrendous. Spent New Year here and it was soooo busy..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If your going to Germany then why not fumble?
ski holidays
Hmmm, that's not what I wrote.
ski holidays
@Simon94,
It was pretty quiet at Easter. We always got parked right by the bridge if we were there by 9:30. No queues at all really, but there were still people arriving as we were leaving - the ones that either can't get out of bed or really love poo-poo conditions Toofy Grin

My kids loved the park even though some of the snow features weren't in the best of shape.
ski holidays
I haven't ridden in Garmish, but I drive past it a lot and it's easy to get to from Munich airport in a hire car... and it seems to be right there by the highway.
latest report
The area accessed from Reit im Winkl is linked to the Steinplatte in Austria if you want a bit of cross border action. It's got about 40km of pretty easy pistes.
snow conditions
Have skied the Harz mountains when passing through.

Was a fun experience but not sure its worth the travel unless you are there for another reason.

Small resorts with some fun terrain but i get the feeling we were lucky as there was a fair bit of snow at the time. Nice part of Germany though, so if in the area its worth a look.
latest report
Had a nice long weekend in Garmisch a few years ago.nice town with some good bars and restaurants in the old part of partenkirchen.( which is a good bit away from the station).Train up to the glacier takes a long time and might be quicker taking the cable car.We took a day trip to seefeld which you can reach by a direct train and takes about 40 minutes,or if there's snow to low altitude you could get off half way in Mittenwald which has some slopes low down or a reportedly epic ski route from the top of the mountain .You can do Garmisch iby train from Munch Airport,take the S8 to passing and change there for Garmisch , takes about an hour and a half to two hours.
latest report
@Angus og,
Did you ski on the opposite side to the Karwendle with the incredibly slow 2 man chair lift?
snow report
When we were there first week in March the conditions were poor in the classic area but the glacier was tip top so didn't do any skiing in the classic area.we really liked the town and are thinking of returning for a long weekend the week before xmas if the conditions are good.This year will be the first time since 2005 that we won't be skiing at new year as our youngest is at uni now and we don't see the point in going during the most expensive week of the year any more.
snow conditions
@princeeliot, I ski in Garmisch a lot mainly because it's only 45 mins from where I live. It's a great place to ski if you are a medium good skier upwards. Not so great for beginners. If you get there on a weekday then an absolute must is the Kandahar world cup run for max speed race feeling! Also good is the Olympia and the run down to the Hausberg lift, all done at max speed of course.
There are some nice off piste bits with couloirs and all, but you have to know where you are going cos it's quite easy to ski off a cliff!
snow report
@Angus og,
It's a lovely town, one of our summer favourites.
ski holidays
3 resorts lenggries, Sptzingzee and Bayrischzell (spelling probably wrong) share a lift pass and are connected by a local train (BoB), very handy for Munich. All are small but good for a day or two each.

There are two special treats around there, Wendelstein near Bayrischzell is a one run, pretty much unpisted mountain. No resort as such just a cable car and a mountain

The other is Taubenstein area at Spitzingzee. It is only open Fri-Sun I think and is very old school but often almost empty and any fresh falling during the week is hardly touched.
snow report
@Col the Yeti,
That sounds good, will add it to the list. Thanks
ski holidays
@musher, if you find that interesting then don't forget to take in the Dammkar in Mittenwald. Can be brilliant, can be so miserable that the lady at the gondola will give you your money back ☺
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steilhang,
Junior just watched some videos and said he'd rather be in the park. I think we'll leave him behind next time Toofy Grin
latest report
@musher, Young people these days. What can you say?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy