Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel - Mussillon ski lift?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I was just wondering what it is like staying in the Mussillon area of Meribel? I have found a chalet for me and my friends to go in February, it is in the Mussillon area of Meribel and it says we would need to get a free ski bus to the ski lift. It is otherwise around a 5-10 minute walk.

Please could I have a bit of advice on whether this is normal for Meribel and whether it gets in the way, whether Mussillon itself is a good area to stay in?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will be well away from the town center and will indeed want to take the bus in the morning as it is an uphill trudge to the lifts. The last time i was there there were frequent buses around 9 am and 4 pm with a less frequent service to mid night.

Look up the chalet on the map and check if it is on the bus route. Some are a fair walk away from the stop.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mussillon is ok. It's not the very best but's it's also a long way from being the worst area of Meribel to stay in. I've done weeks there as a punter and a complete season as a worker. It's the entrance to the resort and one of the flatter areas to stay in. I'm surprised the chalet company don't have a minibus service to the ski lift - it's a common service in Meribel (my old job - driver). The ski bus stops outside O'Sullivan's and is regular. If you can't be right in the centre or near the Chaudanne then Mussillon is the next best area IMO. Definitely better than Morel (Altitude 1600) or other higher areas. It is normal to need a ski bus in Meribel, only a few areas are genuinely ski-in/ski-out.

Plus points: easy walk into town centre at night (5-10 mins) and downhill walking home. Most other areas are a serious uphill walk home. Very close to Spar supermarket and O'Sullivan's nightclub (was Dick's T bar) if you're a party animal or just fancy a late drink.

I don't know how good a skier you are but it is possible to ski-in and out to/from the road with some basic off-piste skills and a small sense of adventure. You may need someone to show you the way but basically, in the mornings you walk down the road away from Meribel and then ski left across the park and cross the road to the Raffort mid station on the Olympe gondola. In the evenings, you cut right about 150m down the Hulotte piste and again ski through the park down to the main road and walk back to your chalet. For some chalets, you can ski directly to the door.

I wouldn't recommend walking to the lifts in the morning but walking home from Meribel Centre in ski boots isn't so bad. There's an escalator from the piste above the Pub/Tourist office takes you to the centre - you don't need to walk from the Chaudanne. Buses are frequent and free though so it really shouldn't be an issue.

Early February's a great time to be in Meribel if that's when you're going. Obviously, if it's later and clashes with the French holidays, it will be busier but so will everywhere else in France. Enjoy! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy