Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I've only gone and done it !!!

Poster: A snowHead
I've taken the plunge and have bought some shiny new skis for the missis and me. First pair of our own. They're sat staring at me across the lounge screaming at me to stand on them on the coffee table with my boots on and dream of real snow !!

Well not really but does anyone have any tips or sugestions for looking after my new best friends. Are they ready to ski straight from the cellophane ? The bindings have been fitted and adjusted but what else should I be considering ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tsmales, have you got poles? Oh, and a bag to carry them in. Apart from that, you just need to get yourself to the snow!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tsmales, I think you missed some info that we would like to know: WHAT DID YOU BUY AND WHERE FROM rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
depends how serious you are I guess, some people say you should wax 'em before use, me personally have skied a number of skis with "factory wax" on 'em with no issues.

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, got the poles and a double bag, and a towel on the coffee table so I don't damage my skis (or the table).

Spent all day today at Xscape, Castleford. And after exhuastive trials (for my legs anyway !) bought K2 True luv for the boss and Fischer RX6 for me. Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tsmales, good choices! Enjoy them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks I'm sure I will. Only 2 weeks and nearly 5 days till I get chance to use them for real. Going to banff (again) Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tsmales wrote:
Yep, got the poles and a double bag, and a towel on the coffee table so I don't damage my skis (or the table).

Spent all day today at Xscape, Castleford. And after exhuastive trials (for my legs anyway !) bought K2 True luv for the boss and Fischer RX6 for me. Laughing

Don't forget the helmet either, when you practice jumps you'll find it hurts less when you clout the ceiling.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got the helmet ta, I've decided that the bdroom is better for trying out my new skis (no not like that !!). No-one can see me through the window looking like a complete pratt. !!

2 weeks and nearly 3 days now !!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Am I sad but I slept with my first pair of new skies at the side of my bed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its better than sleeping with the skis, and the wife at the side of the bed. (now theres a thought)..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tsmales, I bought a pair from EB's and they waxed them for me before handing them over. From other companies they've only had a factory wax that didn't last long at all. Have you seen these threads? Worth a read at least.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11863
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=194115
snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the links slikedges. I've read the threads and now I'm really confused.

Would it be fair to say that it is going to be beneficial to treat my skis to a hot wax before I ski them in Canada (2 weeks and 2 days now...) and then every 2-3 days whilst out there ?? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tsmales wrote:
Would it be fair to say that it is going to be beneficial to treat my skis to a hot wax before I ski them

Yes,it would.This always causes a bit of controversy but,generally,the wax on a new ski is more to do with storage protection than skiing.As they stand,they may well be good for a day or two,but why chance it.Get them waxed and you know all is well.And then,if they feel 'sluggish,or have any grey areas,its time for a re-wax.Have a good trip snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tsmales, if you bought from EB, ask them if they waxed them for you before handing them over. If unwaxed, my experience of factory wax is the same as snowskisnow's - you might get 1 or 2 days if you're lucky (or about 3 hours on the abrasive "snow" of Xscape). A proper wax will last you 3 days and probably not quite a whole week depending on conditions.
snow conditions
Ok, thanks. Having read all the previous threads I think I'm going to have a go at doing them myself. It dosen't sound too difficult and I've got some time off before Canada so I can take my time. It's certainly something I'd like to be able to do for myself and take a bit of pride in.

Can anyone recommend some basic kit, I asume an iron, wax, scraper and a brush of some kind is about the minimum I can get away with at this stage ?
snow report
tsmales, Travel Iron from Argos.General purpose wax & brush from any good ski shop.Plastic scraper from same.Loads of info on here,or the ToKo website.Holding the skis can be interesting!A workmate can be used if you are carefull;purpose made ski clamps are obviously better.And,cover the floor or risk the rath of your other half Evil or Very Mad
The little bit of work required is well worth it snowHead
latest report
Thanks snowskisnow.

Shopping this weekend then, and let the fun begin !! Laughing
snow report
tsmales, if you've got one nearish, a hot wax from a shop shouldn't cost more than £6 or £7. If the hassle factor (time, mess) is important to you and the money's not too tight, it's an option. Just make sure they iron it on and don't just use a waxing machine, as they're often not as good.
snow report
Cheers,

I'm about half way between Xscape at Cas' and Sheff ski village, so thats certainly an option. Although I wouldn't mind learning how to do it myself longterm.
ski holidays
tsmales, I'd get your own edge sharpening gear though. Not much to basic maintenance really, search the site, you'll find a myriad of threads... snowHead
snow report
Thanks I'll do that. The shopping list's getting longer. But at least it stops me counting down the hours till Banff.. Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy