Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes Du Soleil Off Piste Locations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

I'm aiming to spend this winter coming in Morzine PDS and have been looking about for hints and tips as to sweet places to ride off piste. I've got a good idea in my head of some spots through other forums and google earth!

The places I've been looking at are:
Nyon / Chamossiere - Looks like a nice drop in between the lifts, or a little hike up to the central peak and a good ride down.

Avoriaz / Vallee La Manche - Dropping into the vally behind Avoriaz, people say this leads to a small town where you can catch a bus back to Morz. Looking at this, it may be possible to stay high and come out further down to vally closer to Morz? But there are some cliffs leading along this line.

Chatel / Happy Valley - Between the Combes and Combois lifts.

I've read and seen a video from the "Hidden Valley" in Chatel. I've searched around Google Earth and found a few different places that look like they could be fun, however I'm not entirely sure exactly which place this is (Near the Linga Lifts), can anyone specify where that is??

I've also had a little look and came up with 1 or 2 potential lines myself, has anyone tried:
Chatel - From the top of the Linga Lifts, find a way to drop into the valley behind and ride towards Morgins?

Chatel - Rochassons Lift - Traverse off the black run and come down under Pre La Joux?

Avoriaz - Mossetts - Traverse/Ride across under the Point De Chesery and ride down to Les Lindarets?

If anyone can offer any new routes I'd very much appreciate it! Especially any around Morz/Lets Gets (closer), or if you know someone I could have a chat with about all this, recommend them on!

Smile

Cheers,

Al
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Al, I'll be spending the season in Morzine and looking for the same sort of routes

I've skied in Morzine for the last 5 seasons but only decided to start adventuring that bit more than the 'normal' off piste at the end of the last. From what I remember there are a few hiking opportunities, I would say a lot more in Avoriaz compared to Morzine but not in the same league as somewhere like Chamonix.

Hopefully this thread will provide some answers as to where the best ones are... looks like you've done some good research
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@althrash, Welcome to SHs

The tricky things about such questions include a perhaps natural inclination on some parts not to share the good stuff (no friends on a powder day) but more practically a disinclination to give out advice in a limited format without having the first clue as to your ability to use it responsibly.

The first rule of hidden valley is don't mention hidden valley.

It's also tricky in places to describe accurately in a concise format if you don't already know where you are going. I would not be comfortable giving instructions - I know where I'm going but my descriptions would be rubbish.

So it may be easier to hook up with experienced locals who will be more inclined to show you round once you are all buddies and they are comfortable with your ability and off piste demeanour (and you are with theirs).

Morzine certainly is not short of locals.

A couple of quick comments:

- iirc the Chamossiere bowl was marketed as a free ride area (or some such) in recent years but the map I am looking at doesn't suggest that now. I wonder if the effort to keep it monitored and quasi "controlled" was too much. Various areas get "mentioned" here but no additional information http://en.portesdusoleil.com/winter/freeride.html

- Vallee de la Manche I think you don't want to do what you suggest again due avalanche risk.

- below the pointe de Chesery on the face I think you refer to is quite avalanche prone.

- I have never traversed skiers left off Rochassons to Pre la Joux but given that both red and black pistes are often closed themselves due avalanche danger, I suspect a combination of that and local scrub makes it unattractive.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a mate who lives out in the Alps, who used to be based in Morzine. He took us on a few different treks to places, but it was a good few years ago, so I'm afraid I can't remember where they were (I think some were in the Lindarets area and some over towards Les Crosets, but they were definitely on the Avoriaz side of the PDS).

I would suggest @under a new name, is right, in that you're best to try and befriend some locals, as that served us well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I could tell you but I'd have to kill you wink .

Your research is good, most (not all) of those descents are fun and doable, conversely in the wrong place at the wrong time would be fatal. Take UANN's advice, hook-up with people who know and are careful, buy the beers, and do your time. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would stop trying to plan lines from forums and google earth - unreliable and risky. Wait until you get there and base decisions on what you can see in front of you, local conditions, experience etc.

You're there all season - you'll find the good stuff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hooking up with locals is definitely the best way to scout lines and get to know whats good, safe, and what isn't worth the effort. It might take you a bit of time to buy their trust and have them show the secret stashes but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Not spent too long in PdS but do recall some nice mellow stuff off Mont Chery skiers right off the top lift.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy the French guidebook , it's got all the routes on every hill in.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aha, also, yes, I have a nice piccy from years ago of Shep, Mrs Shep and myself at the top of Chesery before some very lovely ice cream snow (very odd but smooth texture) but as he suggests you do need to get the correct route down...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dashed wrote:
I would stop trying to plan lines from forums and google earth - unreliable and risky. Wait until you get there and base decisions on what you can see in front of you, local conditions, experience etc.

You're there all season - you'll find the good stuff.

Nah - planning lines on google earth and forum-mining for info is part of the winter anticipation! A few of the hikes I tackled in my last season in Morzine originated on G.E. and some of them were epic!

Just make sure before you actually find yourself at the top of something you have the knowledge to get down safely or failing that, someone with you who does.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I spent a season in Morzine. Best way to do this? Don't plan, make friends in town and ski with them. There's tonnes of off-piste stuff to do, and great people to ski it with.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with the others. Wait until you get there, chat to the locals. You will have plenty of time to discover everything.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not on the LGM side of PdS but if the snow is good then I like going to these places :

Le Savolaire - Morgins
Morgins Forest - access from the gap in the rocks by les combes
Although Happy Valley is good as you are near lifts and pistes the whole time in case of problems, and it is easy to get to for lazy types like me who don't like trekking very far.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy