Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grindelwald, Switzerland - weekend trip, need directions from Basle

Poster: A snowHead
Morning

A colleague and I are organising a weekend trip to Grindelwald in Switzerland, via Basle airport. Can anyone give any hints/tips as to the route we should be taking? We're arriving pretty late at night so it could be a bit awkward.

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magriggs, you might want to hire a car, it takes about 3.5 hours from Basle to Grindelwald by public transport, last train up from Interlaken is at 23.20 which means you need to get the 20.30 bus from Basle airport.

If you can get to Basle before then the route is roughly as follows

Airport to station by bus (No. 50)

Basle - Bern - Interlaken Ost - Grindelwald by train

You may have to change at Bern or Spiez or you may get a through train from Basle to Interlaken Ost
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
magriggs, that strikes me as a very tiresome transfer time for a weekend trip ... unless it's a long weekend. On the way back you've got to add on the check-in time etc. I'd find a resort that's closer to an airport, personally, unless it has to be Grindelwald.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, The Bernese Oberland is probably the closest decent sized resort to Basle but not by much, going by car should be a little faster perhaps knocking an hour or so off the journey time
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the plan is to go by car. The route planners on the web seem to think about 2 hours should do it. I was just wondering if anyone had any particular hints or tips for the route.

Are there decent resorts closer to Basle or Zurich? Flights to Geneva for that weekend are proving a tad expensive.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
magriggs, From memory, first make sure you have a Swiss hire car with the motorway vignet (sticker) in the windscreen, important as Basle Airport is actually in France, next follow motorway from Basle to Berne, as you almost get to Berne, follow signs for Interlaken and stick with the Motorway, finally as you go towards Interlaken you will see signs saying Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen follow signs to Grindelwald.

I'd guess about 2.5 hours drive at a reasonable speed, you shouldn't need snowchains but make sure they're included with the hire car just in case.

If you like I can check exact roads, turn offs etc and post them here
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get a taxi - http://www.jungfrautaxi.ch
I use these guys a lot - very reliable, prices on the website.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magriggs, have you thought about Engelberg? It's on my list of short transfer places worth going to from Basel (and Zurich). Anyone else any views on this?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never been there, but the ski field looks OK for a weekend. I'd consider it too limited for a whole week, though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
magriggs, I thought it was a weekend you were going for? Also the off-piste possibilities are good, if snow's ok.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Engelberg is the closest tourist location. Will be busy at weekends though as it gets a lot of day trippers. (As will anywhere else near the cities).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
neilswingler,
Quote:

Engelberg is the closest tourist location.

Where's the nearest non-tourist location Very Happy to Basel with half decent skiing? I've heard Flumserberg suggested for Zurich.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, this is a good link for some of the larger local places:
http://www.geocities.com/activityworkshop/snowboarding/switzerland/index.html

For the real 1 t-bar and a cow hill guide (in German):
http://schnee.100free.com/winter-sport.html

Flumserberg is the closest place to Zurich with alpine feel. But if you want big mountain feel without weekend crowds you will have to go further afield (maybe Savognin, Obersaxen although I have never been there).

I can't say what Basel's Flumserberg equivalent is (unless it is also Flumserberg).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
neilswingler, good link, thanks snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
neilswingler, useful, one minor point is that if you hold your mouse over the map, the resort name appears, but I notice that resorts 9-14 don't tally between the table and the map.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, never looked at the map. I know where they are Smile
snow report
slikedges, yes we are going for a weekend. I think the reply I posted was meant for another thread Very Happy Sorry for the confusion! I think we're booking up for Engelberg, so thanks for the tip!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy