Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moutiers as a base.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at Moutiers as a base for the Tarentaise for Summer and Winter. It is close to multiple ski areas, is a proper town and property is not expensive by Ski resort standards. Can anyone give me some feedback on what its like to live there and how it works a base. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find it very claustrophobic, particularly in the summer. You have the mountains surrounding it and it just feels so dark to me. To get anywhere you are stuck with the N90.

It's a good location for cycling though as there are a lot of climbs nearby.

If I were to live near the alps I would go for somewhere around Lac du Bourget. Skiing is very close by and it's a lovely location to live. Aix would be a good place to look.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with what emwmarine said about the town feeling dark and overlooked by a steep sided valley. If you want a town in the Tarentaise valley I'd say Bourg St Maurice or Aime were better options that Moutiers. Bourg has the advantage of a direct funicular to the skiing in Les Arcs, as well as a huge range of skiing within a relatively short distance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with @emwmarine and @rob@rar, it's cheap for a reason!

But if cheap is all your budget is then it's better than nowhere!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agreed with everyone above. It's pretty grim in winter and always feels damp. Going down there for the weekly shop is not really a pleasure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also reputedly the suicide capital of France. So no sharp knives or ropes.

Seriously I lived there for a winter whilst working in Merihell and it is quite a depressing place and getting worse each time I revisit (Hospital A&E now closed and more and more shops out of buissiness. As others have said Bourg is a much nicer place to stay especially year round.

Andy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. Very helpful info.Think BStM looks like a better option.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As the others have said, if there are big attractions there they are well hidden. All my memories of Moutier started with waiting in the coach changeover yard where all the transfer buses seemed compelled to visit on their way to all of the various ski areas of the valley.

And now forever trying to plan to get through there out of any sort of peak time if visiting the area. Great places in the Tarantaise though and BSM also gets gridlocked during peak travel days so you'd have to work location round that if using as a base.

I appreciate that you've named the Tarantaise as your only location and respect that if it's non negotiable, but if not, then have you considered somewhere like Modane as a base which is in the Maurienne valley. It's not far away (but obviously not a base to ski daily in the Tarantaise) but has some great ski areas all along the valley, local and full on Peage roadway access along with high speed rail service and not too far from airports either.

Also there is lift access to Val Thoren from there, plus the tunnel link into Italy. Summer access is also available via the pass directly over to Val D isere.
Loads of cycle routes, via ferrata climbs plus extensive cross country tracks layed out in dedicated parts of the higher valley.

Finally the costs there are good with things like lift passes plus eating out being lower than the Tarantaise.

Finally, finally, it's a much more open valley so winter light levels seem very good even at the lower altitudes. Got alot going for it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, agree with all of the above. Moutiers is a really odd place just to visit; very dark and eerie. I had also heard that it's number one or number two for suicide rates in France, not sure if this is just an urban myth though. I used to head there once a week when working a season in Meribel and it just wasn't the type of place you felt like hanging around in for a coffee or lunch. Bourg St. Maurice is much better (and has funi access too which is a big bonus).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As above, Moutiers is gash.

Dark, claustrophobic and decaying.

BSM is way better.

But why anyone wants to spend a "Winter in the mountains", but not actually living in the mountains, is a complete mystery.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Moutiers in the winter and the summer come to that, can be a little dark and grey but the villages nearby have plenty going for them and Moutiers isn't quite as decaying as it once was. It isn't as big as BSM but in recent years has opened a cracking craft beer bar and some delicious delis and grocers, has a great market twice a week, railway station, and as you say the prices are lower than BSM or other ski adjacent towns.

I would suggest visiting summer and winter to get a feel for the place and widening the search by a few kms to see what is available.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As above really, plus when Carbone Savoie are not on strike the air is heavily polluted with acrid smoke from the special metals business (and you have the factory in Pombliere).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Aigueblanche is a lot nicer just up the road but the whole valley is still a little bit claustrophobic.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy