Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski instructor swept away while warning of avalanches

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A ski instructor in the Vorarlberg, Austria, has been swept away while warning his class of the dangers of off-piste skiing. According to this report from Ananova.com Guenther Muehlenbach had just crossed the boundary of the piste to the off-piste and was warning his students not to go there in the prevailing conditions.

"Suddenly there was a loud rumbling and he disappeared in a cloud of snow." said his student Alphons Koflach, 16.

Muehlenbach was picked up by the avalanche and dumped into a 200-foot deep ravine before being buried under 60 feet of snow [according to this report]. It's also reported that he was rescued and survived, and is now being treated for shock and hypothermia.

Maybe we can find another source on this story.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 25-01-06 12:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As far as I can make out, this report from Vorarlberg Online [in German] is about the same incident, with some significant differences in the facts reported.

I don't do German, but if anyone would like to translate some details that would be interesting.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One report says he is 28 the other says he is 50. It looks like two separate incidents. The german report says the instructor was the last one down a run and triggered the avalanche. The 28 year old is suffereing from hypothermia the 50 year old suffered much less from the cold.

Last week in St Anton the layers were not bonded well together forcing our guide to take alternative but safer routes on numerous occassions.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well the most important thing is that he is still alive!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
60 feet of snow? Would take hours to dig through that depth.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you would need something mechanical to dig that lot out?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe he was on the edge of it?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't want something mechanical looking for me! Shocked
They could just follow the blood trail down to the dismemberd body though - yeah guys just pick up the red bits of snow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suspect that Ananova's reference to pulling a live body from beneath 60ft of snow was the greatest example of journalistic licence in the history of the written word, but was too polite to say it in the initial posting.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith wrote:
I suspect that Ananova's reference to pulling a live body from beneath 60ft of snow was the greatest example of journalistic licence in the history of the written word, but was too polite to say it in the initial posting.

Perhaps they dug from the side Confused
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
60 inches? 60 cm?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe its all getting really confusing and the guy was actually 60 years old...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Avalanches here in Seattle have closed the interstate - twice in two days...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I heard it was raining in the Voralberg.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy