Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much cash will i need to take to Andorra

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
We are off on our first ever ski trip to Arinsal in Andora in march.
We have a full bord hotel package, ski hire, lift passes and lessons already booked.

Just wondering how much cash you would recommend it take for 1 adult and 1 child for the week

All the best
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good topic here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122061&highlight=spending+money

We have a bit of a chat about this every year. It depends on what you plan to do!
With full board it wouldn't hurt to cover yourself with £50 a day and hope to be pleasantly surprised if you've got change at the end of the week!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you.
I'll give it a read
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's 2 ways for holiday spending...buy Euros here and take them with you or take the right bank card and use it to pay for things or get cash out of a machine, check this guide on Money Saving Expert for more advice on getting the best value on overseas spending, cash or card...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

As to how much you'll need, it sounds like you've got it pretty much covered...does your package include drinks? Lunch? Even if it does, you might want a hot choc or two on the mountain, but ultimately only you know whether you're likely to want to spend anything beyond what you've already got covered...snacks, presents, souvenirs, etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Look at this thread. I've just got my Revolut card and it looks like a good deal for spending abroad.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2948331&highlight=revolut#2948331
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In your position, I'd just be bringing enough to cover Airport (Sterling and Euros), coffee stops, drinks (lunch/pre dinner/dinner) and any prezzies....so maybe 40GBP for UK airport and possibly a further 300 Euros for the two of you. This is hard to call for someone else.

Try the Post Office for money change....I found they gave a better rate than the banks, with no changing fee.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stewpot101,
If your kid eats like my daughter then £50 might just about cover lunch wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take a credit card, mobile wallet, or smartwatch wallet. Much easier.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Suggestions seem on the high side.

I usually stay in a chalet, half board. I rarely spend any money on top of that. Big breakfast in the morning, few cereal/chocolate bars bought from home to keep me going during the day, cake and hot chocolate afternoon tea once finished skiing, then evening meal.

That said my main priority is the skiing. For others nice coffee/hot chocolate stop, quality mountain food with a view, and a few boozy nights are part of the experience so obviously costs will vary.

Staying full board there is no reason you would NEED to spend any money. Particularly if it's ski in/out, meaning you can do a quick lunch stop.

Definitely worth taking a card for any emergencies e.g. replacing lost goggle, damaged equipment etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been to Arinsal a few times.

Cash is king. One ATM in the village and no charge service in bars or restaurants. Down in Andorra la vella you will have no issues with using a card.
We usually go half board and enjoy a few drinks each evening. We have a few friends there so usually eat out a few times a week, €150 a day usually covers both of us for lunch, dinner and drinks.

Beer is any where from €3-€5
Lunch €10 a head in Refugi, more in PolarBar
One place i recommend to everyone is Surf. Hotel food in Andorra is boring buffet and you may have the same choice two days in a row.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stecleary84 wrote:
Been to Arinsal a few times.

Cash is king. One ATM in the village and no charge service in bars or restaurants.

OK, so this would be an issue if you were relying on a card for everyday spending, sounds like it's best to take some cash and have a card for emergencies.

The good thing about Euro cash is that if you have some left over, you'll be likely to visit another Euro country in the near future, so no need to change it back again. Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all
Thanks for all the advice ect.
My package doesn't include drinks.

I'm looking at taking between €4-500. For the week in cash and taking my bank card for emergencies.

This should be enough for the 2 of us
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all
Thanks for all the advice ect.
My package doesn't include drinks.

I'm looking at taking between €4-500. For the week in cash and taking my bank card for emergencies.

This should be enough for the 2 of us
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess most of these budget suggestions have ring-fenced a certain amount for drinks. Whilst I'll happily have the odd beer here and there, I can't think what I'd spend £50 a day on when skiing with full board. I must be a right pikey.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Be aware Andorra is not in EU. You can get bad mobile bill shock; don't know about credit cards (I have a Euro account anyway so didn't notice)
snow report
500 euro for the week for one adult and child will be more than plenty (I assume you aren't planning to get bladdered in the pub every night and do a Gove on your kid?)

Apply for a Nationwide credit card. No foreign transaction fees. Put yourself a few hundred in credit before you go. That way you only get stung on fx for the cash you actually spend, even if you take it it from an ATM.

Arinsal is not expensive as long as you remember to turn your phone off. I would maybe take 200 euro in cash and preload the CC with the rest.

What hotel are you staying in?
latest report
Thornyhill wrote:
Put yourself a few hundred in credit before you go. That way you only get stung on fx for the cash you actually spend, even if you take it it from an ATM.

I expect I'm being dense, but: what difference does it make whether or not the credit card is in credit? (Save for the issue of paying interest on any debt, obviously.)
ski holidays
@Pyremaniac, If you withdraw cash using your CC you pay interest from day 1. If you have the funds available there is no point in paying interest unnecessarily. This is the true tightwad method for avoiding giving banks a penny more than you must in Fx, interest or transaction fees. Very Happy
ski holidays
So to answer a few questions

We are staying in the hotel praline in erts which has some decent reviews on TripAdvisor.

Our package includes breakfast, dinner and lunch vouchers (along with ski hire, passes, and lessons)

Obviously I won't be getting hammered on the local larger but will enjoy a couple of swift half's in the evening.

Hot chocolate and nice coffee and cake in the afternoon is a must, I guess, for the real ski experience.

Would also like to do other things, I know shock horror, other than skiing.
Mashing, snowmobiles, tobogganing and a bit of gift shopping.

If I aim for €100 a day so €5-600 for the week should be plenty.
latest report
The activities will be the things that use up the most money. A cake, a couple of beers and soft drinks won't set you back too much each day.
I'd say €200 should be more than plenty for the drinks/cake. You could easily use the rest up on the activities and need a bit more on top.
snow report
@stewpot101, on the guidance from Money Saving Expert, I've got a Halifax Clarity CC which has no transaction charges and uses the exchange rate the day the card is used, plus a Fair FX pre loaded card which has been good when the exchange rate was rising as you can load it when the rates high and may drop, not so good if it's low and may rise, it currently is offering free cash withdrawals. I also take some cash for smaller purchases and anywhere that doesn't take cards.
I would expect the activities will take card payments and also the hotel for any bar bill you run up reducing the need for hard cash.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy