Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Slightly warmer would be nice, currently -15 with high wind chill factor. Feels well below -20. Boot heaters set to high!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@seekstris, It wont take all that long, the bashers are up and on the pistes the securistes have been blasting too. It is just that the access roads are too dangerous for public access today. There will be a lot of stuff open tomorrow then 100% for the weekend.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's fascinating watching a 9 day forecast, although the most I seem to be able to get out of it is there will be some weather in the future. The predictions for this week (excluding Monday) last week were over a meter of snow running all the way up to Sunday. Now it is 2cm today and nothing at all for the next 8 days. The conditions next week should be fantastic, with a gentle wind and mostly sun Smile. How many more sleeps is it tell I go?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pieman666, forecast seems to be all over the place, may aswell just make it up (if thats not whats happening already)
Scgb am forecast was still showing 80 odd cms of snow over next week and then a warm spell with 100mm + rain right up to mid station. That would mess things up !
thankfully that has now disappeared from the chart but unfortunately so has the snow.

4th Feb for me , will the snow last that long or will there be more , will it rain, will it all melt in a heat wave ?
I'll tune in tomorrow for the next installment ! Puzzled

eta - anyone out there this week, enjoy !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I'll take pictures of it and post them up. In the mean time current conditions are magic:
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@in garbure we trust, fantastic photo! ☺
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@in garbure we trust, wow what did you take that with?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I will demand the weather stick now on the with the current forecast for next week. 20 cm overnight on Sunday sounds just about perfect Smile along with light snow on Monday just to keep the fair weather skiers away.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah and then a week of sun Very Happy sounds perfect. Slowly opening up all the runs too, so here's hoping we have a perfect week Very Happy My flight is 5.40am though so going to be a tired Sunday... excitement will get me through!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
5:40 am is tough, I have had that sort of time before, but you can get settled and all your equipment etc sorted for the next day. I'm flying at a more civilised 12:10 but it will be a rush to get everything sorted Sunday evening, although I think the rental places stay open later for that reason.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fantastic conditions across the central Pyrenees. Still plenty of very deep powder to play in though you do need to keep an eye open for signs of possible avalanche as large slabs can break away with no notice.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still top snow conditions. Here is a video of a top to bottom run at the Grand Tourmalet (Bareges, Hautes Pyrenees): https://www.facebook.com/grandtourmalet/videos/1186953868008237/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fantastic photo, in garbure we trust.

I'm a bit late with my trip report, I'm afraid! Roll back to the first half of last week for a moment...

There really was a lot of snow on the ground after Sunday and Monday's episode. Here's the view down to Vielha (1000m altitude):

Cabin fever was beginning to set in by the end of Monday, but we were pretty excited about the prospects for Tuesday. In the end though, there was just too much new snow, and too much avalanche control needed, and so resorts had trouble getting open. There was no road access up to Boí (nor to Arcalís in Andorra, unsurprisingly) and, as rob@rar mentioned, Baqueira only opened the main face. But Superbagnères had a far more optimistic prevision, and so we decided to go and explore a new place! We didn't regret it.

Not wanting to risk the Col du Portillon given that we were already late getting starting, we drove the long way round. The snow level was really surprising; I don't suppose it's that common to see snow all the way down to the valley floor at 600m.

Up at resort, they were only just getting started. There weren't many services open, and there was some work to be done to find the cars of the guests staying in the hotel:

(I was glad we chose to take the gondola up instead.. though my vertigo wasn't very happy about it! The French don't seem to bat an eyelid at a bit of steepness, both up and down.)

There was a good 70cm of fresh snow in the easier sectors of the resort, and a great atmosphere amongst the few people in resort. Lots of sunshine, very little wind (except for the odd super-strength gust), constant blasts suggesting that they were going all out to get things fully open, and we we couldn't really ask for more (once we'd got the hand-warmers installed). So it was the icing on the cake that they unexpectedly opened the Ceciré sector in the afternoon! It's the mountain in the background:

Spectacular! 1m of snow and at least one black and red open which were completely unpisted. A mountain that wouldn't be out of place in Arcalís, in my opinion, and the day pass is a third cheaper than Baqueira. How did it take me so long to discover this resort? I know Ski Guide's been encouraging us for years. (Talking of whom, there were a couple of English people in the restaurant at midday who seemed possibly like a guide with a client, and I did wonder if it was you... didn't quite have the nerve to walk up and ask though!)

On the way back we did go via the Col, and were glad we hadn't bothered in the morning! The meaning of "open" is obviously a bit different for the French than for the Spanish wink and although getting up the French side was fine with my winters, I wouldn't have been so happy going down it.

On Wednesday we did Baqueira, where the prevision wasn't all that spectacular but they did a good job during the day and got Saumet and the connection to Peülla open. Beautiful sunshine and not many people about.

The Pyrenees is really on top form right now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pyremaniac wrote:
Fantastic photo, in garbure we trust.

I'm a bit late with my trip report, I'm afraid! Roll back to the first half of last week for a moment...

There really was a lot of snow on the ground after Sunday and Monday's episode. Here's the view down to Vielha (1000m altitude):

Cabin fever was beginning to set in by the end of Monday, but we were pretty excited about the prospects for Tuesday. In the end though, there was just too much new snow, and too much avalanche control needed, and so resorts had trouble getting open. There was no road access up to Boí (nor to Arcalís in Andorra, unsurprisingly) and, as rob@rar mentioned, Baqueira only opened the main face. But Superbagnères had a far more optimistic prevision, and so we decided to go and explore a new place! We didn't regret it.

Not wanting to risk the Col du Portillon given that we were already late getting starting, we drove the long way round. The snow level was really surprising; I don't suppose it's that common to see snow all the way down to the valley floor at 600m.

Up at resort, they were only just getting started. There weren't many services open, and there was some work to be done to find the cars of the guests staying in the hotel:

(I was glad we chose to take the gondola up instead.. though my vertigo wasn't very happy about it! The French don't seem to bat an eyelid at a bit of steepness, both up and down.)

There was a good 70cm of fresh snow in the easier sectors of the resort, and a great atmosphere amongst the few people in resort. Lots of sunshine, very little wind (except for the odd super-strength gust), constant blasts suggesting that they were going all out to get things fully open, and we we couldn't really ask for more (once we'd got the hand-warmers installed). So it was the icing on the cake that they unexpectedly opened the Ceciré sector in the afternoon! It's the mountain in the background:

Spectacular! 1m of snow and at least one black and red open which were completely unpisted. A mountain that wouldn't be out of place in Arcalís, in my opinion, and the day pass is a third cheaper than Baqueira. How did it take me so long to discover this resort? I know Ski Guide's been encouraging us for years. (Talking of whom, there were a couple of English people in the restaurant at midday who seemed possibly like a guide with a client, and I did wonder if it was you... didn't quite have the nerve to walk up and ask though!)

On the way back we did go via the Col, and were glad we hadn't bothered in the morning! The meaning of "open" is obviously a bit different for the French than for the Spanish wink and although getting up the French side was fine with my winters, I wouldn't have been so happy going down it.

On Wednesday we did Baqueira, where the prevision wasn't all that spectacular but they did a good job during the day and got Saumet and the connection to Peülla open. Beautiful sunshine and not many people about.

The Pyrenees is really on top form right now.

I have never tried to oversell just how good Superbagneres is especially when we have powder. There is so much accessible off piste that is not that risky, the Cecire sector is where the real action is and that was amazing once the blasting had been finished. There are effectively 3 valleys of the Cecire side all of which have some pretty challenging off piste as well as some excellent on-piste runs.

You may well have seen me as I am a member of the management board for the station and I am there most days. Most people can spot me as I am tall, not thin and always where black Happy

Thanks for the photos and the report...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowing currently in Soldeu and has been done lunch time. Tomorrow looks like it's going to be superb I can't wait definitely a first lift day tomorrow.
snow report
Yeah, tomorrow looks really good in the eastern Pyrenees, as indeed does Sunday. I'm not so excited about the high temperatures and precipitation for next week that are currently showing up on the forecasts, so I'm provisionally writing said forecasts off as fantasy-land wink
snow conditions
I was up at Le Mourtis on Tuesday, and the piste conditions were pretty good indeed. Even the snow on the side of the piste was loose and a pleasure to snowboard upon.
snow report
Up early this morning and on the slopes first thing. Blue sky, and perfectly groomed pistes with a couple of inches of fresh sitting to the sides on top of skied powder. With the main holidays fast approaching Luchon-Superbagneres is in fantastic condition. Looking forward to a week of skiing on quiet slopes with clients before the madness starts next Saturday.

latest report
SkiGuide: Which holidays are you referring to ? Half term? What dates are they? Heading to Baqueria in Feb and want to avoid them!
ski holidays
mrvinegar wrote:
SkiGuide: Which holidays are you referring to ? Half term? What dates are they? Heading to Baqueria in Feb and want to avoid them!

I dont think that you will have a problem with Baqueira as such especially as it is such a big resort. My understanding is that the Spanish are not on holiday then, we are just across the border in France and the main holidays start next Saturday (Toulouse for the first two weeks). Of course there will be more French than usual in Baqueira. Try and enjoy lunch at the San Miguel El Refugi at Bonaigua - great atmosphere and lovely food.
snow report
Excellent piste conditions in the GrandValira with everything open and lovely grippy snow throughout the whole area.
A little busy at the usual pinch points. Pas in the morning and the connection lifts at the end of the day.
However, moving around the areas outside these times was easy and best at lunchtime with everyone else in the restaurants.

Off piste is best described as chopped, but snow still in good condition so very skiable.
Sure there are some fresh tracks still available if you’d be prepared to hike/walk a bit.

Plus with more snow forecast in the coming days it’s looking good for the rest of the season.
snow conditions
Lots of snow forecast in the next week in the Pyrenees, I'm hoping this keeps going until mid February!
latest report
Was looking nice on the GV webcams last week, -5 and maybe 1-2in per day. But then it took a turn for the warmer, as predicted above, and I was seeing +8 at 11am! Hoping it drops again, we're there end of February.
snow report
Three resorts in three days with my clients. After the snow last week we were blessed with mainly clear skies and increasingly warm temperatures. At Luchon-Superbagneres there was still plenty of powder on sheltered slopes with top conditions across the resort. Peyragudes was again in fantastic condition, the cloud keeping the temperatures low in the morning but the sun in the afternoon did begin to soften up the snow on South and West facing slopes lower down.

Yesterday a long day at Baqueira Beret where to be honest the skiing was great until about mid afternoon when the full sun really did soften up the snow (more like March) on the lower slopes. That being said the slopes where very quiet which provided for some great skiing and there is still lots of fun to be had off-piste.

The weather is going to be very up and down between now and the end of the weekend with rain forecast at times at 2000 metres (overnight which is odd) and then snow down to 1000 metres. Next week is looking much colder with more snow.

snow conditions
@Orange200, I was skiing last week, and the conditions were fantastic (except the light was flat sometimes) with all the snow forecast in the next few days the end of February should be great, especially as I am out there again the week after that Smile
latest report
ski holidays
Anyone in pas de la casa who can provide an update on the snow conditions? I've just booked a flight for this weekend gambling that the snow will come as per the forecast Very Happy

Is anyone else out there next week? Let me know if you fancy hooking up - we are two old duffers though Little Angel
snow report
I was out there last week, and the snow in Pas was very good. Your only problem may be high winds closing the higher lifts and the links to the other resorts. At the moment Pas doesn't have it's link open, and so only a few slopes and lifts are open. The forecast is for high winds again on Monday, which may close the higher lifts again, you may be able to get a bus from Pas to Soldeu to give you a bigger area to ski, the slopes along the front of the mountain under the gondola in Soldeu tend to stay open and are normally pretty sheltered even if the weather is windy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Johnor, I'd say you've picked a good week. It's definitely going to snow this weekend.

I didn't realize that they were suffering with the wind, but there are regular public buses that can get you to Soldeu, as said above. It's nothing to worry about.
ski holidays
Pie and pyre thanks for advise, 1st day ski today, blizzard conditions and strong winds. But sun came out for 2 hours and had a blast
snow report
I'm seriously thinking of giving Baqueira a whirl for a weekend in March, it just sounds like a great vibe and if I get to ski some good lines that will be a Brucie bonus. I've been put in touch with a Guide Roger Martorell www.rogermountainguide.com has anyone used him? Thanks
latest report
Note a fair few runs closed in Pyrenees Orientales today (currrently driving up from Barcelona and planning what to do tomorrow) is that because the wind has stripped the snow or because the wind itself is still a problem for lifts?
snow conditions
Awesome conditions in the central Pyrenees. After 3 days of snow that left somewhere between 50cm and a metre of fresh powder across most resorts, the sun has finally come out. Though thin on some exposed ridges the skiing is excellent both on and off piste.

Current snow depths:

Luchon-Superbagneres: 110/140cm
Peyragudes: 140/190cm
Baqueira Beret: 160/240 cm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I can confirm that a little further west the snow is also fantastic, had an afternoon at Gourette yesterday with the ski club d'artouste (artouste was closed because of wind). Superb conditions and just a shame I couldn't get up there today for a proper bluebird powder day!
snow conditions
Perfect conditions in Grand Tourmalet.

Fresh tracks all day.

Even without a hike !

Pistes in perfect condition.
Much quieter than excepted with it being school holidays.
More snow forecast so looking good for continued excellent skiing.
latest report
Hitting Baqueira next week and quite excited!

Question: what kind of snowfall would be necessary to make snow chains needed on the drive into Arties and upto the Gondola? That road always seemed pretty well maintained..
snow report
Answered my own question now that wind has died down and Les Angles in the Eastern Pyrenees fully open for my first skiing day! Probably not quite the depths of the west due to the strong winds for the previous few days but still a good 120 cm throughout, was great to get to do the Costa Verde (set of short but sweet ungroomed blacks with 60-70% steepness) without any risk whatsoever of encountering rocks!
snow report
Ok guys, you've made jealous! It's hard to get snow time at the moment, but tomorrow I'm going for a day trip... will report back on Saturday!
snow report
@mrvinegar, Heavy snow + low freezing altitude needed before the road from Arties to Baqueira 1500 becomes tricky. Forecast at the moment is looking like you shouldn't have a problem, but never say never.
ski holidays
This is a nice clip featuring the Cambre d'Aze in the glorious sunshine two Sundays ago (we we there too, but opted to leave the camera man, drone, etc at home Happy ) and skinning up the lift lines at Puigmal in some pretty atrocious weather the previous day

http://youtube.com/v/Ht2GFv2o6tU
Edit: ah, cool. Auto embedding
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy