Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys!

Looking to get a new pair of skis and need some advice! I'm currently skiing the 2003 Dynastar Agyl RLs in 154 length, and have been doing since 2010. Since then I've only skied for one week a year, but from this year I expect to be skiing at least 4 weeks a year, plus a few indoor sessions at Castleford.

I expect ski technology has come a fair way in the last 13 years Laughing Essentially I'm looking for a carving ski, I'm a girl, 5 foot 6, around 60kg, and I'd say I ski quite aggressively.

I know it would make most sense to demo a few and see how I get on, but I'm not sure how I'd go about that! I can't afford to hire in the mountains as well as then but a ski afterwards so I'm a bit stuck!

Any and all advice is more than appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would throw 2 skis into the mix, which came top of the SCGB tests:

K2 Luv Machine 74Ti
Völkl Flair SC UVO
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Atomic Cloud 11 is a good carving ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@k_slatch, hmmm...

Quote:

I know it would make most sense to demo a few and see how I get on, but I'm not sure how I'd go about that! I can't afford to hire in the mountains as well as then but a ski afterwards so I'm a bit stuck!

Some (most?? good-un's) ski hire places will offer a ski swap out per day for a one-off-charge (10-20€) (e.g. https://www.skimium.co.uk/) and then you can test to see what suits.
You will have to pay for ski carriage (unless you're a BA/Virgin/whoever freq. traveller with points) so not being able to afford doesn't stack, do a ski test for 1 -2 weeks skiing and then take the plunge but given availability and offers it will probably be best to buy after next season (sales and oppurtunities although do occur in season).... so even more time to try what you are going to buy Smile
Did exactly this 2 seasons ago, although you sound a better skier than me! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@k_slatch, Ellis Brigham at Castleford have some skis you can test, so maybe start there. I'm similar stats to you but prefer a wider all-mountain ski so I've tested more of those, but I did enjoy the Blizzard Quattro 74.

Let me know if you want to hear about fat skis Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy