Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Any updates on general conditions off piste?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blimey. That was better than expected! More pics here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3024343#3024343

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello all.

I'm coming to Verbier in a few weeks with a mixed group of skiers and snowboarders and we're looking for a guide for either off or on piste, depending on conditions.

A couple of questions, if I may?

Would a guide be prepared to take a mixed group of skiers and boarders, (4 of each) or would we need separate guides?

Would a guide be prepared to take us for half a day only?

Can anyone recommend a good guide / company?

Any idea on a rough cost?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HI,

Mixed group wouldn't be an issue, the guide will go at the slowest persons pace (normally).

Guides are normally booked for a day, but some are doing "New! 1/2 Day Freeride Discovery" http://verbier.com/en/directory/ski,-snowboard-paragliding/mountain-guides-heliskiing/les-guides-de-verbier/?

Guides are 600 - 700 if I remember what we paid for our heliski guide
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, VK - I'll have a look on there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Frank Lundy,

pm sent.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
About 20cm fell last night.

Pistes are in perfect, perfect condition.

Off piste was good in Bruson, I cannot comment on Verbier sector as I was piste skiing in the afternoon.
I would say that the wind yesterday was extreme, in places in scoured the snow away completely, all the way to rock/grass.
But...it also transported that to some lee slopes that looked very deep indeed.

I assume that makes the avalanche risk very variable...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Everything closed today above Ruinettes due to the high winds so spent most of the day in Bruson, which was in good shape and not a breath of wind.

It was really busy on the chairlift until about 12 and the queue enormous, but then everyone seemed to give up for the day and we had some runs almost to ourselves with no queues, it was really bizarre.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think Bruson probably did more business yesterday than the rest of the season put together. We skinned around to Dahu. Amazed at the resilience of people continuing to ski in challenging conditions.

At least the sun's out this morning.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glorious conditions this morning! Just ditched the kids for a sneaky Mt Gélé 😎
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That was enjoyable! A few more here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=130969

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Utterly superb today!
Still quite windy (gusty actually...some SEVERE gusts, not sustained wind) so no links open at all.

Went to Savolyeres where it was A: Quiet and B: Deep.

The Le Nord shoulder was re-fresh tracking every 15 minutes due to snowfall and wind-fill.
Knee deep, super soft.

How was it that we were almost the only people on the whole mountain ? Very Happy

It is snowing a LOT right now and due to continue all night.

@BobinCH, have a sickie tomorrow and get first lift to Chassoure etc...it will be a once-in-several-seasons day (and the day we HAVE to drive back to the UK Sad )
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haha sounds good but too many renno bills left to pay if you want your rent paid!

I'm sure there'll still be some left at the weekend!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How much snow has come down last few days at resort level then?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
50cm over the last 36 hours at lac des vaux, from the SLF monitoring station up there, so no tourist office interpretation of the data wink
ski holidays
@Steve Sparks, lots then
snow report
Duplicated

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 8-03-17 0:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Here's some useful Swiss snowfall links from the excellent SLF site:

Last 24 hours snowfall updated hourly (auto measuring stations)
http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/messwerte/stationsdaten/rk82_sd_c_FR

Last 24 hours snowfall as from 9am that morning (accurate)
http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/schneekarten/hn1d/index_FR

Last 3 days snowfall as from 9am that morning (accurate)
http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/schneekarten/hn3d/index_FR

Avalanche risk uodated at 08:00 and 18:00
http://www.slf.ch/lawinenbulletin/lawinengefahr/index_EN

Snow report
http://www.slf.ch/lawinenbulletin/schneedecke_wetter/index_EN

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 7-03-17 12:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
What's the avalanche risk today?
4? Or 5 even?
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, It's 3, but none of the itineraries are open.
latest report
Nothing high open
Breezy today compared to misery of touring yesterday. Epic snow quantities but huge slides set off by the blasting which started at 4am near us in Les Collons.
Sun out this afternoon but hopefully a great day tomorrow.
snow report
Any opinion on the likelyhood of the itineraries opening tomorrow? I'm in Chamonix, last day tomorrow (flying late), considering driving over to Verbier early tomorrow morning for my last day.

It's meant to warm up considerably by midday but i'm thinking the relatively high altitude of the Verbier itineraries should keep the snow good for at least the morning.
latest report
Our lad stuck to treelines today which he reported to be 'amazing'. Apparently Televerb were restricting numbers on to the mountain. Our daughter said that she'd not seen so much snow fall in such a short period in the 5yrs she's lived there. Shocked
snow conditions
@musehead, it's due to stop snowing this evening, but reading the most recent SLF bulletin (below), I wouldn't have that much confidence in them opening, and if they do there's going to be a fair bit of digging required before they let people up.

"In the west and north a lot of snow has fallen in the last two days. Both this fresh snow and the mostly loosely bonded old snow have been transported in large quantities and formed large snow drift accumulations over a wide area. On Monday night in particular the number of natural avalanches increased. Some of them were large. In isolated cases they are likely to have released the more compacted wind slab layers that formed during the foehn period at the end of last week as well. Looking back on Monday night, the avalanche danger "high" (level 4) would have been justified for the northern Alpine ridge from the Trient region to the Glarus Alps.
In the inneralpine regions of both Valais and Grisons the fresh and wind slab layers of recent days are lying on a thin old snowpack in which distinct weak layers exist, especially on shady slopes between 2200 and 2800 m. In these regions, avalanches can penetrate the weak old snowpack and reach a dangerously large size. The daily release of avalanches by persons in these regions bears witness to the persistence of a critical situation."
ski holidays
musehead wrote:
Any opinion on the likelyhood of the itineraries opening tomorrow? I'm in Chamonix, last day tomorrow (flying late), considering driving over to Verbier early tomorrow morning for my last day.

It's meant to warm up considerably by midday but i'm thinking the relatively high altitude of the Verbier itineraries should keep the snow good for at least the morning.

Given they opened up Funispace today, the risk is 3 and they are usually pretty fast in Verbier I'd guess on a good chance of Chassoure/Tortin opening tomorrow. Maybe also vallon d'Arbi. There are also many side of the piste options in Verbier with this much fresh snow. Normal risks apply!
snow report
@Steve Sparks, @BobinCH, Thanks! Just found out that Col des Montets is still closed and might not be opening again for a while, so looks like I probably can't drive over after all.
snow report
The Lass reported epic conditions in Bruson today, face shots on "piste" as well as off-piste Very Happy
snow report
We did Creblet this morning, awesome....
The snow has stopped so more things should be open tomorrow...

Note Finger number 3 dropped this morning and went a long way down.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mollerski wrote:
Our lad stuck to treelines today which he reported to be 'amazing'. Apparently Televerb were restricting numbers on to the mountain. Our daughter said that she'd not seen so much snow fall in such a short period in the 5yrs she's lived there. Shocked

We had no issues going up today, and didn't see anyone trying to control numbers
ski holidays
Looks like some of the itineraries opened today (Gentianes and Tortin?). Anyone there - how were they? Jealous to have missed out although the vis today is not great.
ski holidays
All - there's a chance we (annual lads trip) might be doing Verbier in a couple of weeks. Booked flights to Zurich with a view to going to St Anton or Ischgl but accommodation is in very short supply there. We can stay at the Farinet if we go to V. Are we better off getting a train to Martigny or Le Chable. If the Le Chable gondola is shut how much will a taxi to resort cost? Thanks!
latest report
@franga, Get the train to Le Châble - bus runs until 2151 to Verbier and if you're in the Farinet, stops 30m away. Taxi will be about 80CHf to Verbier from Le Châble.
snow conditions
@Steve Sparks, thank you!
ski holidays
@franga,

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en

Bus 251 runs either side of the gondola stopping.
latest report
@franga, Farinet a great location for a lads trip! Enjoy
snow conditions
Remember to tip the coat check girl very generously on a Saturday night (she is my daughter!).
snow report
@rungsp, Prince William just walked past us in the Farinet....
latest report
Off to Schweiz on Saturday, basing in Lausanne and looking at the temperatures we will likely be doing 4 days at Verbier, nice high and north facing sectors. Looks like there's been a tonne of new snow, how's it holding up in the warmth? Any links to good itineraries for a couple of 30-ish lads, one skier one boarder with an appetite for reds and side-piste? Cheers guys snowHead
latest report
rungsp wrote:
Remember to tip the coat check girl very generously on a Saturday night (she is my daughter!).

....and the coat girl in Pub Mont Fort is our's. wink
ski holidays
15 degrees in town today apparently. Confused

The snowfall of last week is fast disappearing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy