Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
@horgand, sadly can't Dave, I'm stuck with Chicken John for company this week.

It will be interesting to see where we end up. There's a lot of rocks out there and above 2,500m the off piste has been seriously wind affected. I think we're going to be learning some new technique this week.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Stevesparks Enjoy anyway......But use an old pair of skis Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quick question - last minute.com, but our work 10 year anniversary is on this weekend, we're off to verbier - looking for an instructor or pair of instructors to do things with a group or a couple of groups of mixed ability. Warren Smith's lot appear sold out,. anyone have any other recommendations?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why in the matter of hours have forecast highs for next week gone from +1 C. To +5? Looks like a disaster ours week to ski. Hate skiing warm weather.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@coddlesangers, I've put out some feelers and will be in touch. Warren's lot book up early and a load of them are in Austria for the jump.

@Ptspeak, get a life! That's not exactly warm, and if cold is so important to you the western alps in February isn't exactly a great choice.

Found some fresh yesterday, had to work for it. Still nice and cold.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@coddlesangers, jon ahlsen at new generation..... if you can get him take him some yorkshire tea bags
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Still managing to find some fresh. Yesterday it was in the couloirs on the eastern fringe of Vallon d'Arbi. It had been weather affected, but was untracked. Some of the bumps on Mt fort are now so massive that they have put fences around them.

Pistes holding up well in cold temperatures.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The strong winds on Thursday have transformed some of the off piste, giving it a firm almost piste like texture in some areas. There are pockets where it has filled in and others where it is almost unskiablle.

Found some good fresh stuff on Etablons after a 45 minute hike. Which just about sums things up.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're due in Lausanne for a long weekend this Friday (3rd - 6th), where is best for 3 x young lads who like lazy powder eg. side piste and finding little shortcuts between pistes. From what I hear the off-piste is almost non-existent this year but up high is there accessible side piste for the taking? Have car will travel but ideally not wanting to go further than 1.5 hours from home base in Lausanne... we're opportunists so just wanting a steer as to where looks best for fresh snow and good existing conditions this weekend. Cheers! Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skiwi 55, lacs des Vaux always offers something like you describe, there are bits and pieces accessible all across the 4v, use old skis though. Lots of rocks around. Looks like there may be some fresh snow at the weekend.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve,

I'm heading out to Verbier next weekend for a PE week. I have lovely new (<10 days skiing) Armada AK powder skis I can bring or do you reckon I should rent instead due to all the rocks??

thanks for any useful pointers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Similar question - long weekend arriving Friday night - options include , slalom skis, OG Movement Thunders ( not as versatile as modern skis) Whitedot Directors or proper big skis or a snowboard or two?. How smashed up will skis get if we assume fresh snowfall is not bottomless.

Side note - if anyone fancies a few turns let me know. I have avy kit, airbag, rudimentary agricultural skiing skills when not skiing in a "very camp" manner or inspecting marmot dens

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 31-01-17 17:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@horgand, @Dave of the Marmottes, both Daves, there are lots of rocks around off piste. I think virtually all of us took core shots last week. It's very easy to bottom out and to be honest anything less than half a metre of fresh won't make a huge difference. I would use skis that you're not too worried about getting trashed. It was the first powder extreme camp in a long time that I used skis other than JJs, something a bit narrower was easier to pivot.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers Steve - Thanks for the honest take will have to root around and find at least 1 toepiece to reinstall on my Shamans I think.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Steve, worth knowing. Cheers.
ski holidays
20cm at lac des vaux in the last 24hours. Rained up to 2,300 yesterday so some of the lower slopes have taken a bit of a battering.

Brightening up today, so should be good up high.
ski holidays
It was good. 20cm was about right. Reports of backside being better, but exit past the dam hellish.

Chassoure in lovely conditions.

Where it rained between Blunt and Mayentzet the piste was rock solid. Not much fun getting home yesterday.
latest report
The aforementioned piste was even worse last night. Littered with good skiers sat down trying to work out what to do. The blue path is highly recommended.

Unless you're doing a spot of race training.
snow conditions
A dusting of a couple of cm overnight may have done something to take the sheen off the teflon piste.
snow conditions
Mont Fort and Tortin excellent until last bit of base scratching on Tortin
Any of the rain damaged pistes a bit icy and sad
Piste de l'ours excellent and everywhere deserted apart from the climb on `stairway
Hoping the promised snow arrives for a great top up with colder weather
ski holidays
Heavy snow started 9am this morning, see video:

http://youtube.com/v/NUVP7pSAEHI

From the balcony in La Tzoumaz, temp. of 0.1C Hopefully, this will add some useful snow to the rather hard base. Not too great for those in transit here today, however. Geneva Airport is posting to arrive 3 hrs before your flight (extended security checks, not weather - raining in GVA).

The forecast is for this to fall for a few hours.

The road in the bottom right of the video is obviously all covered now. Awaiting the snowplough/gritter, which usually comes at 10:00
snow conditions
@LaForet, No issues clearing security in the French sector. Sadly headed home.
snow report
Tipping it down with moist snow and horizontal wind I'd guess snowline around about Medran. Low vis/ flat light as a result
snow report
Sudden outbreak of blue sky above Bruson may be able to see yo ski after all. Snowmaggedon proving slightly underwhelming.
latest report
Big fatty boombatty flakes still falling with no wind in Le Chable. Flakes were a bit smaller higher up. Anything above Ruinettes vis was like inside of a ping pong ball so bailed early to Bruson which was excellent. Pretty much only rippers (and nutcase skimo'ers) on the hill.
ski holidays
La Tzoumaz forest also good today. Been snowing all day and forecast to continue all night. Friends arrived for an off-piste week with Warren Smith #jammytiming
ski holidays
So snow had stopped today bar a little bit of nucleation on goggles around Gentianes elevation. Vis a bit better but getting down Mont Fort still more skiing by braile. Nice and fluffy though.

Seemed a lot more people out including lots of kids. School hold kicking in?
latest report
I am on the phone right now with The Lass who reports it is dumping down with snow in Verbier town at this very moment.
A lot "a lot, a lot" of snow...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was on the train out mid afternoon. Glad I had bought some new yellow lens goggles for the last few days - someone wants to plant trees higher up the mountain wink
snow report
Steve Sparks wrote:
@horgand, @Dave of the Marmottes, both Daves, there are lots of rocks around off piste. I think virtually all of us took core shots last week. It's very easy to bottom out and to be honest anything less than half a metre of fresh won't make a huge difference. I would use skis that you're not too worried about getting trashed. It was the first powder extreme camp in a long time that I used skis other than JJs, something a bit narrower was easier to pivot.

Steve,

Thanks for the head's up, glad to report that the .5 to.8m materialized and were h having epic conditions and an epic time in Verbier.

Just back from another wonderful day over in Les Brussons, steady snow all day, but really great skiing had in the trees. finished off with the itinerary down into Sambrocher...which was wonderful.

Long may it continue,
Dave
snow report
@horgand, Thanks Dave, that's made my day! Might ask you to get my skis out of the locker and pop them into ICU whilst I'm away.

Enjoy mate!
snow report

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 8-02-17 22:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
The Bruson pics from a couple of weeks back with Chris and Mich
Main trees

Steep forest

And vallon d'arbi with Millsy
ski holidays
Etablons baby-slope (left), La Tzoumaz, Yesterday afternoon.

This is only at about 1700m. Vallon d'arbi beyond the treeline and Lac de Vaux just over the ridge in the far distance.
Below is at the apartment at 1500m about 10:00 this morning. Been snowing all day today.

balcony thermometer shows last 24H low/high at -1.7C/+3.7C here at 1500m
ski holidays
Fantastic pics
First to Verbier for me 25th March, hopefully it won't warm up too much by then.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, nice, hopefully see some more of your ski adventures in pics soon, it's been a bit slack this season wink
snowHead
ski holidays
Lovely sunny day today in Verbier, spent a big chunk of the day in La Tzoumaz/ Savoleyres sectors as I'd never really done these before and was pleasantly surprised by some of the nice runs and the quality of the snow given the warmth.

The resort as a whole was fairly busy and full of littl'uns on half term, but no more than 5 minutes wait anywhere, usually a lot less.
ski holidays
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
@BobinCH, nice, hopefully see some more of your ski adventures in pics soon, it's been a bit slack this season wink
snowHead

Been hanging out with this guy...

All he wants to do is jump so I've been practising

But just got him some powder skis and he's caught the bug...

Let's hope for a snowy 2nd half of the season snowHead

Looks like we'll be Spring skiing this weekend
ski holidays
@BobinCH, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Beautiful weather this weekend following friday night's dusting...

And Sushi with a bottle of Sancerre at the T-Bar is a fine, and remarkably reasonable, way to finish the day!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy