Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car or bus transfer?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just wanted some opinions about transfer options in Val Thorens.

We will be a group of 5 arriving at Moutiers train station at 5.50pm (couldn't get there earlier as not peak season meant limited train selection) on 10/12/16 and leaving the week after at 10.50am on 17/12/16.
I have had a look at the Altibus schedules and they have the last coach at 6pm on the arrival day and a coach arriving at the station at 10.30am on departure day. Given the varying range of reviews and experiences I have read about Altibus, what are your opinions about catching the last coach on arrival day and whether 20 mins (not factoring in delays etc.) is enough on departure day to ensure no disruptions?

The only other option is private car which is over double the price. However an advantage is shorter journey time (about 40mins compared to 1h15m) and perhaps more reliability? Is it worth it?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-11-16 16:33; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had no problems with the service bus from BSM to ValdIsere €17 return, but 20 min on departure day to catch the train is far too risky, earlier bus and enjoy breakfast in Moutiers?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always get the bus up to resorts (be it BSM to Tignes, Aime la Plagne to La Plagne, Moutiers to Val Thorens, or Grenoble to ADH), and have had no problems that I can recall. They run smoothly enough. and get you up the mountain pretty quickly and safely, and as you say, at a fraction of the cost of a taxi. I'd have no problem with booking the last coach, and would expect that if your train is late they'll make sure a bus is still available, though might be worth a quick phone call to check. Like tangowaggon though I think 20 mins to catch train is too risky, OK you're early season so traffic should be fine, but if it snows heavily it will take longer to get down the mountain. Would book the earlier bus for peace of mind and settle for a nice croissant and coffee in Moutiers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As said previously, a 20-minute window at the railway station is too tight, given the variables of mountain roads, weather, traffic etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the helpful replies, yes I did consider the earlier bus when leaving, it's just that 7am compared with 9.15am start is quite a lot of difference...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another option could be to book the later bus, and switch to the earlier one if the weather's looking dodgy (check with tourist office the evening before for forecast). The bus companies don't usually have a problem with people switching buses provided they're not full (don't expect that in this case). I genuinely wouldn't be worried about traffic at that time of year: if the weather's fine then the later bus will get you to your train on time, but if it's snowing then things get more difficult.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Am currently toying with the idea of a car one-way when we leave as I did deliberately book a later train so we wouldn't need to rush, but that's a really useful suggestion thanks. Yes we did unfortunately get caught out with terrible weather last time we went and got delayed a whole day (I have learnt a lot from that first week skiing!), definitely will be checking weather the night before.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy