Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seasonnaire Car Rental

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if there is long term (5 months) car rental available in the Tignes area, my daughter is doing her season in Les Brevieres and was going to drive from the UK but as a worry wort mum I would prefer she got a car when she is out there!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alieeeh, it might be cheaper to buy a second hand car?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does she actually need a car when she's out there?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
She would prefer one, Les Brev can be quite isolated in the evenings cos the bus only runs to Les Boisses and she wants to go visit friends in Meribel etc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assuming she has a car in the UK surely she'd be better off (ie safer) driving a car that she's used to, which part are you worried about?

If it's the drive out there why don't you drive it for her?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be more worried about driving around the alps than driving too them. If she takes her own it she can take everything you need without worrying about cost/weight etc.

I doubt't you get car hire in Tignes you'd need to look at airports/towns (Moûtiers, Bourg-Saint-Maurice), 5 months is a long time for car rental I'm sure it would cost a fortune. Also consider parking cost and location, if you don't have covered parking she will have to clear the snow each time she uses it. if not using it daily this this could be tough.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alieeeh, it would probably be cheaper for you or another family member friend to drive out with her and then fly back to the UK; doing the same in reverse at the end of the season. If she has never driven on the 'wrong' side of the road before it can be a bit daunting but she will quickly get in to the swing of it. It could be a long, lonely drive for a young girl, hence why it might be better to be accompanied.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah agreed with Marcellus. Or just let her drive. As a parent you won't stop worrying about her of course, and never say never as accidents do happen but....

...in the grand scheme of things and risks etc, she's going to be living and working (and, depending on her personality, quite possibly skiing hard and/or partying hard) in another country for 5 months, and you're in principle accepting of her to be driving a strange LHD rental on snowy icy mountain pass roads, is the 8 hour drive from Calais to Les Brev in her own car mostly on easy autoroutes really too much to worry about to make the faff and expense of a 5 month rental worthwhile ? Just a perspective.

It'll make her packing much easier too, she can lob it all in her car.

Does she drive on UK motorways ? I tend to find autoroutes are usually a much quieter and less stressful experience than UK motoroways.

Book half way accommodation if you are super worried about tiredness?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 3-11-16 13:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh, and if she is working for a company she could always contact them to see if they have other people travelling out the same time who may wish to car share with her ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for everyone's input - I would have driven out with her, her car is only a 1L and she was concerned it wouldn't be powerful enough for the mountain roads. We just thought there might be a local company that would hire to seasonnaires
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Small 1L will deal with mountain roads no problems. Probably better than a 2L BMW (RWD) Very Happy

I'd get winter tyres/chains and make sure she can use them, whatever the car.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alieeeh wrote:
She would prefer one, Les Brev can be quite isolated in the evenings cos the bus only runs to Les Boisses and she wants to go visit friends in Meribel etc

When is she going to do that?

Meribel from Brev is a trip up to Moutiers then up another hill - hour and a half plus each way?

Unless she has a stonking job with a lot of time off, she will have a day off a week - and I would be stunned if she wanted to do anything other than ski in Tignes
Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski resorts are full of ancient Fiat Pandas' with 45hp engines that seem to manage no problem. If her car is a modern 1.0 I'd guess it would have at least 80 hp. I think some of the Firsta Ecoboost 1.0 engines have 125 hp.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alieeeh, seriously a 1 litre engine will be perfect, fit some winter tyres, buy chains now and get her used to putting them on and then give her the £000s you'll save to spend during her season.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could just give your daughter the car hire money as a taxi fund, €100+ car rental a week to use on taxis.
snow report
marcellus wrote:
@Alieeeh, seriously a 1 litre engine will be perfect, fit some winter tyres, buy chains now and get her used to putting them on and then give her the £000s you'll save to spend during her season.

+ 1

Some kind of roadside assistance valid long term abroad would be a good idea.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the comments but think I've been told off by my daughter for posting! She has decided to fly and deal with not having car as she has done in her last 3 seasons! Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy