Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doing a season in NZ

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I was thinking about doing a season in NZ, in Wanaka or Queenstown.
I have some questions and I'd love to get your help.
1. Wanaka or Queenstown? what's better/what's the main difference in their ski resorts?
2. ski pass prices, I saw that for coronet peak and the remarkables the season pass is 600$ and for treble cone and cardrona its like 1200$. why is there such a big difference?
3. Transportation, is there a shuttle I can use to get to the resorts every day? If so, what's the price for season bus pass to the resorts?
4. How different it is in comparison to the alps or north america? I know the resorts in NZ are much smaller, is it a problem for full season?
5. Snow, is there snow all season (mid june-mid october)? and what about powder?

Thanks a lot!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As I live in Queenstown and have lived in Wanaka here is my opinion.

1 Queenstown is quite a bit bigger and with more of everything including jobs crowds parties and drunken fools. Wanaka is more laid back with a more intimate feel. As for the skiing. Coronet and Remarkables owned by same company so one pass for both. More money for development for things such as snow making, buildings, lifts etc. Cardrona not to far behind and Treble Cone the poor relative. But Treble Cone has the best lift accessed advanced terrain. All areas about 30 minutes out of town with Cardrona being about 30 from Wanaka and 1hr from Queenstown.

2 NZ Ski that owns Coronet, Remarkables and Mt Hutt (inland from Christchurch) decided last year to drop their early season pass prices as a marketing device. I believed it worked well for them so low price again.

3 Shuttle to all mountains multiple times every day. Not sure of prices.

4 Yes small resorts but like North America everything inside the resort boundary is avo controlled so quite a bit of area to actually use.

5 Snow can be thin in June and due to maritime climate and windy weather snow can vary from day to day. Not lots of light powder but on a good season reasonable numbers of small falls. It definitely is not Japan Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sarge summed it up pretty well.

To add - getting housing in Queenstown is a horrible experience - it can be done but stressful doesn't begin to describe it. Very few jobs will come with housing either. Wanaka is apparently slightly better, but it's a very small place.

What are you thinking of doing on your season? I'm not sure an NZ season is worth it under all circumstances... It's just so expensive to live there, so expensive to get to, so hard to get yourself set up and the skiing/snow is very average compared to almost anywhere else in the world. That's a lot to overcome before you start to enjoy yourself!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks! Sarge that was very helpful.
jiagedaping, The main reason i chose NZ is that the season is in june-october cause in november i start to study.
If i had the time i probably would have chose the alps or canda.
About housing, is it really that frustrating to find? I have enough money to spend i guess, what prices for housing should i expect? Is there anyway to secure accommodation before getting there in june?
And last, I understand from you that the ski experience is a lot worse in NZ. Really? Cause i understand many people goig to NZ for a season.

Oh and also, I don't care that much about nightlife and the town life (in choosing between wanaka and queenstown), its more important for me the ski resorts and the prices.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to northern Japan.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also important to mention. I only skied before and i plan to make this a snowboard season so Im starting from scratch. Is NZ good place for that?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ziv03 - you could secure airbnb or hotel accomodation for the season before arriving, but not normal seasonal accomodation. If you arrive in June you're already in peak season and you're going to find it very, very difficult and time consuming to find a room. Think central London - you'll have to turn up to room interviews along with 30 other people, and they're just the ones that got through pre-selection off facebook. It might also be easier to buy a car - that way you can live a long way out of town and housing gets easier to find in e.g Lake Hayes estate. You'll get there eventually, but plan on living in a hostel until you do. Wanaka might be easier.

As to learning to ride - yeah, good place. NZSki do a learn to ski/board package, which pays for equipment, lessons and lift pass for 4 days for some silly cheap price - £250 or something. After you complete the 4 days of lessons you've got the option to upgrade the pass to a season pass for only £50 more. If you're a beginner you'll find Coronet Peak & The Remarkables offer you plenty of terrain for a few months Smile Not sure what Cardies or Treble Cone do, but they'd also be fine if you chose Wanaka.

Maybe think of arriving earlier in May? Easier to sort accomodation and a job if you want one. By June the season is in full swing and most jobs and beds have gone.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh - prices. In Queenstown the weekly rate was $140-170 for a bed in a shared room, and $200-290 for a double bedroom to yourself. Expect to pay +50% to be closer into town, and depending on how good the deal is bills may or may not be included in that. The quality of the accomodation is generally awful - single glazed and ancient chipboard construction - but take the first thing you get offered! If you need to get out of a contract you'll have people biting your hand off to take it over.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok cool that's actually lower then I thought. If I'm willing to pay more, lets say 200$ a week for a bed in a shared room, will it be easier to find? Also, you said it costs another 50% to be closer to town. how far is it? lets say how far from the nearest bus station? And when I arrive, how to start searching for apartment?

Anyway, I think I will go to NZ. Doing more then a week in a season is a dream of mine and I can't do it after november. Only thing is to choose between queenstown to Wanaka.
I currently prefer queenstown because it's closer to its resorts and the ski pass is way cheaper. Any reason to choose Wanaka?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, just saw the NZSki first timers package. this is insane! how can it be?
it costs 500$ for 4 days of ski pass+group lessons+equipment. and then for another 100$ (which makes it 600$ total) you get the 3 peak season pass.

When you buy just the season pass alone it costs 600$ too. is it possible that in the same price you get in addition 4 days of equipment and lessons?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I traveled round South Island a couple of years ago including Wanaka and Queenstown. Didn't do any skiing although went to Mt. Hutt for a weekend.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to live in either Wanaka or Queenstown for more than a week! Yes New Zealand is insanely pretty and all that, but not sure I'd really go there just for the skiing.

Negatives:
- Crap weather in winter, think Scotland, wet and windy often but not particularly cold.
- By European standards they are tiny towns, mostly full of tourists at that time of year from the USA and Europe. That's fine if that's what you're after but if you're staying in one place then you might find it a strange atmosphere.
- Accomodation standards are pretty poor. Some of the youth hostels I stayed in were ok but a lot of them didn't even have double glazing or central heating and were pretty damp and dingy places for the price I paid. I didn't rent but from people have said above sounds like the market is pretty cut throat
- Everything is crazily expensive. Especially food, fruit and veg etc, because a lot of it has to be imported.
- Internet is universally poo-poo and often you have to pay for it. NZ is literally at the end of the phone line.
- Kiwis can be friendly, but can be a bit insular I found if you want to try and get to know the locals.
- None of the ski resorts are particularly big or expansive and so will be crowded at peak season with less than reliable snow

How about somewhere in South America? Chile? Argentina? I imagine it would be a lot cheaper and quieter and a bit more off the beaten track.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ziv03 You'd get a lot more out of the trip if you learn to board before you get there. Then (potentially) no need to mess about with lessons when you arrive.

Do you live near a snow or plastic slope? Or better still the Scottish slopes? If so you could be a pretty decent by next (southern hemisphere) winter wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ziv03, One of my work colleagues who move here before last winter did the NZ Ski first time package and found is was just as advertised and worked really well. The ski schools here are world class with many top level northern hemisphere instructors down here for the "off season" you keep tripping over national examiners from all over the world. The weather especially in the Southern Lakes (Queenstown/Wanaka) is not at all Scotish with a lot of clear cold/cool sunny and calm weather between the storm fronts. The Queenstown area has a permanent population of more than 20,000 and Wanaka about 5,000 to 6,000 as well as the seasonal workers and the tourists. Lots of different nationalities live here with populations from Brazil, Phlippines, Japan etc. The busy time is the school holidays which are usually the first three weeks of July outside of that it's only busy at weekends. And due to the fact we do not have the piste/off piste situation that you find in Europe people do spread out across the entire skiable area. If you come you will have great time.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 5-11-16 0:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ziv03 wrote:
Ok cool that's actually lower then I thought. If I'm willing to pay more, lets say 200$ a week for a bed in a shared room, will it be easier to find? Also, you said it costs another 50% to be closer to town. how far is it? lets say how far from the nearest bus station? And when I arrive, how to start searching for apartment?

Anyway, I think I will go to NZ. Doing more then a week in a season is a dream of mine and I can't do it after november. Only thing is to choose between queenstown to Wanaka.
I currently prefer queenstown because it's closer to its resorts and the ski pass is way cheaper. Any reason to choose Wanaka?

No - apart from ultra luxury every room is over-subscribed. The time to start looking for a well priced room is once you've already got a roof over your head for the season Smile

Frankton & Fernhill are the estates at either end of Queenstown - depending on how far into them you are you're talking between 30mins and 2hrs walk home. Hitching is very easy though, it's not too big a deal to be out of town.

Facebook is the best for housing, Queenstown Trading & the like. Also use Lakes Weekly Bulletin & Trademe.

Wanaka seems cool but I don't know much about it.

Do you need a job? If so, between that and the housing I'd say get out in May. If you're just looking to ride, you might get away with arriving in June, but be prepared for some (a lot of) stress. Once you are settled in, it's a fun place to be! Enjoy Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jiagedaping, is right about the accommodation situation. Come early maximize your chances of work and a good room.
snow report
When or if money is a student issue they need to look at the rate of exchange .

Its not good news right now so could change but paying aprox 30% on the pound more to ski probably wont happen with most students.

The info is interesting though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy