Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Middle-Aged blokes : Ischgl v St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Markymark29 wrote:
Have been to Arlberg 50+ weeks, 1x Ischgl and that was 15 years ago, in no desperate rush to go back, Ischgl is a piste paradise but that's not me right now. That said i'll go back one day.

Like a few others have said above, if you like Spyder, Kjus and Bogner, boozed up Germans falling over at 11.30am and eastern European strippers dancing on your bar at 4.30pm then go Ischgl. If you want serious skiing and good lower key après choose Arlberg. Its a simple choice I'd say. For a lads trip you'll be fine though wink @franga,

That's a lot of judgement based on 1 week, 15 years ago!

Yes, you will see a lot of all-the-gear/no-idea types - usually beautiful young Russian women on the arms of ugly, fat older Russian men - but this just opens up the week-long game of Spot The Russian. The woman seen having all-day private lessons all week who was still bambi on the green come Friday and a woman in a gold lame one-piece...with gold lame tassels have been winners in previous years.

The only place you'll see eastern European strippers dancing on your bar is if you've gone in to one of the 2/3 lap dancing clubs. This are clearly signed as what they are so hardly somewhere you'll end up accidentially. You do also get 'dancing girls' on the bar in Schatzi - but these just stand there swinging their knees in Dirndl looking bored for a few hours.

I can't say I've ever seem many people falling over drunk at 11:30am - the night owls will only just be waking up from last night and who's going to get up for first lift just to start drinking? In fact I can't say I've ever seen more than a handful of people falling over drunk, and that's just the odd person staggering back home in the early hours.

In my experience you can find all the sorts of things you've described if you specifically go looking for them but with at least 50% of people on half-board most people hit the apres hard from 4pm on, getting happy-drunk before heading back to their hotels/off to find restaurants around 7/8pm. And from there most people don't bother going back out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
franga wrote:
at it very loudly in the adjacent room every bloody night

Impressive stamina on a ski holiday!

Markymark29 wrote:
if you like Spyder, Kjus and Bogner

I must admit, I saw more people in garish Team Bogner gear than I've ever seen anywhere else, including Courchevel 1850 - by a long way.

Mjit wrote:
most people hit the apres hard from 4pm on, getting happy-drunk before heading back to their hotels/off to find restaurants around 7/8pm. And from there most people don't bother going back out.

That is EXACTLY what we found. Rocking apres parties absolutely everywhere until 8pm, then it seemed to be much quieter in the evening.

However St Anton - and Saalbach in fact - just kept going.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29 wrote:
Have been to Arlberg 50+ weeks, 1x Ischgl and that was 15 years ago, in no desperate rush to go back, Ischgl is a piste paradise but that's not me right now. That said i'll go back one day.

Like a few others have said above, if you like Spyder, Kjus and Bogner, boozed up Germans falling over at 11.30am and eastern European strippers dancing on your bar at 4.30pm then go Ischgl. If you want serious skiing and good lower key après choose Arlberg. Its a simple choice I'd say. For a lads trip you'll be fine though wink @franga,

I've seen more out of the way off piste in Ischgl with a guide than in St Anton as in the Arlberg everyone knows where it all is and skis it out quickly. In Ischgl I have had freshies days after the last fall, cos there are fewer off piste skiers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markymark29 wrote:

Have to agree with what others have said. I think your view of Ischgl is way off the mark. Never seen a German falling over at 11.30am. Drinking beer, yes but you see Germans drinking beer for breakfast in Munich. "eastern European strippers dancing on your bar at 4.30pm" - you are clearly referring to the Schatzi bar but again simply untrue. Girls dancing in the bar in Dirndl's teasing money from the punters with a flash of garter, yes but you can see worse on Channel 4 before the watershed.

In terms of seeing people that are the worse for wear then St Anton wins hands down. I've skied down the final piste below the Mooserwirt with people over my shoulder that couldn't walk let alone ski. Not a criticism. Each to their own but Ischgl is highly controlled. The apres ski turns off at about 7.30pm as the hotels want people booked on half board back in the hotels for dinner.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The apres ski turns off at about 7.30pm as the hotels want people booked on half board back in the hotels for dinner.

This is also our experience in Saalbach, and I always assumed that it was the norm in Austria ever since "tea dancing" was invented. The apres-apres-ski starts at around 10.00pm, for those who have the stamina, but is much more low-key and civilised than the early evening antics.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dr John: Note stuffing sounds just like Solden.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John: Note stuffing sounds just like Solden.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If none of you have been to ischgl I'd definitely go there. We had a 3 day trip there a few years ago and the piste skiing was great. Apres ski was just as good. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ischgl was the lads trip this year. First time for us (4 middle aged blokes) and we had a great time. Great skiing, bonkers apres but also lots of places to go for a quiet beer and great food. We spent a week there and took in trips to Kappl and Galtur. We'll definitely be going back.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There seems to have been a distinct drop in the number of Russian the last couple of years when we have been there.
It may be that its not a popular week for them when we are there but they have been much harder to spot.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Russians love the weeks of the Russian new year.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Garfield,
Did you miss the drop in the oil-price? The Russian economy=oil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, True
I cant say there were any less folk about but heard less Russian spoken
I did get wiped out by a Brit one day but as it was Mrs G I didn't complain too much Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy