Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poles

Poster: A snowHead
Thank you!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Old Fartbag wrote:
LizAtk wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Hmm... they only seem to come in 120cm rather than 125cm, but I'll look on other websites. I can't see the Dynastar Power 40s available from any UK store..... frustrating!

What about here: http://www.exxpozed.com/leki-carbon-14-s.html?s=559065&currency=GBP&pup_e=1&pup_cid=6281&pup_id=15B-2991000714912&gclid=CNHcza-SjdACFeYK0wodacIORA

Even though that was a risky click when looking on my mobile I clicked anyway and I have now discovered I also really need carbon poles Smile

I can honestly say whether I needed them or not (which in reality I don't) if my better half bought me some for christmas I'd be made up and those that @Old Fartbag has highlighted look reaaallllyyyy nice ....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going to order them right now... even though a keen skiing friends has said she would NEVER buy ski poles for someone else, as you need to try them on, as it were, for yourself. I'm sure my husband will be pleased, and he'd never buy a posh pair for himself!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LizAtk, there's no question that Leki make quality ski poles but be aware that their trigger grip system is a bit marmite. IMV it only really works if you've also got Leki gloves with the built-in loop. Without their gloves you have to put a harness over your existing gloves which is neither ergonomic nor aesthetically pleasing.

You might have to double up that Christmas gift with some matching gloves.... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the leki carbon 14s and love them. I use hestra and TNF gloves and the strap works fine, just needs a wee adjustment if i change gloves Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok, thanks, but husband should be able to use his regular gloves, shouldn't he?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep he should, i do
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent, thanks. Otherwise it starts to get very expensive. Maybe the gloves for a birthday present though....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought a pair of the Leki aluminium poles with the Trigger S release system cheap over the summer from Millets online sale. [The keen eyed amongst you have already spotted my schoolboy error].
When they turned up one had a missing strap and the other was bent - turns out Millets might not be the worlds best ski pole retailer, who'd have thought it.
I decided they didn't look so nice close up either and although I loved the way the Trigger S system engaged positively, I thought the strap that fits over the wrist was a faff. I also wasn't entirely convinced it would release in an accident (notably the more recent marketing material seems to play that feature down).
So they went back and I popped to a proper ski shop and found some Scott poles instead (with their SRS system, which is less of a faff and does disengage relatively easily)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You don't have to go for the Trigger S system on Leki - they also do a "normal" grip carbon version: https://www.leki.com/uk/product-area/alpine-skiing/poles/2573/elite-14-t/ I rather like mine - light, with just a bit of flex.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, I just found out that my family have been wondering what to get me for Christmas.
In 1992 they got me a fabulous pair of Goode Carbon poles, they were as thin as pencils and I've loved using them.
The snag is I've gone and left them in the ski cellar at a Hotel in Soll.

But the good news is that my son has been been investigating my Google history ( a bit spooky eh?)
So it looks like I can have a new set of poles ready for Baby Jesus's birthday!
I was after a really skinny pair of Carbons, but I've just had a fondle with with the Carbon D's they seem so light, I'm in love with them. Of course I'm going to need some Leki Trigger Gloves now.

So all I have to do is make sure I can hint my glove size and I'm sorted.
Its payback time for my daughter for paying for some many "My little pony" Christmas prezzies for her.

I've had to put up with the worry of having my poles snatched for years, most people put their skis in different locations outside the Mooserwirt, but I had to do the same scam with the poles.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn wrote:

So it looks like I can have a new set of poles ready for Baby Jesus's birthday!

That'll be 17th June, then. Toofy Grin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1093053/Cancel-Christmas--Jesus-born-June-17-say-scientists.html

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 19-11-16 23:56; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The funny thing is that really, pole material only represents one of the attributes that make a pole what it is. Strength of a pole doesn't just come from the material itself. A thicker wall will give a stronger pole but make it heavier. My Leki poles are oval shaped, which whilst weak in one plane, makes them stronger in the other. So as long as the technique is good, the shape of the pole allows the material to be thinner for the same strength.

Generally speaking when you buy metal tube of any sort, be it scaffolding, drainpipe or ski poles, the price will be proportional to the amount of metal in there. Since the metal is the most expensive part of the construction - the moulded hand grips and baskets don't really cost much.

I also made a great discovery with the Leki trigger system. It incorporates a hand strap which is actually hand shaped and stays on your hand all day, and an easy to use (with gloves!) clip-on system to attach and detach the handstrap from the ski. I find it way more comfortable and in fact way easier / faster to use.

There is so much more to a good pole than whether or not it's made of carbon...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Couple of years ago I got skied into at speed and when I came too (thank God for helmets) my thumb was truly broken and subsequently needed pinning. As a result I bought a pair of Leki poles with the trigger s system. Although I can't say that they will guarantee the integrity of my thumbs for life they do give me a certain peace of mind. What I can say though is that once you get the feel for it the trigger s system is far easier and less of a fiddle than conventional straps.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for Leki Trigger S system from me.
The speed and ease of use when engaging/disengaging is superb (even with just the Leki harness).
ski holidays
Well I'm just looking forward to Santa coming again this year ..
And how surprised I'll look as I unwrap my long thin presents, wondering whatever it can be?

Then I can hopefully march off to church wearing my new gloves and celebrate the arrival of the Lord.
ski holidays
Atomic AM Carbon Ski Poles on sportsdirect at the moment, £20.
snow conditions
May be of interest:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/komperdell-ti-7-carbon-ski-poles-927313
ski holidays
I just bought some poles from www.glisshop.com and the price, service and product were all excellent.
ski holidays
I've got last seasons rossignol free ride telescopic carbon poles....too tarty to leave hanging over skis during lunch, they're small enough when compressed to stuff in a pack/plonk on a cafe table...
latest report
LukeRibs wrote:
I just bought some poles from www.glisshop.com and the price, service and product were all excellent.

Ditto, got the Kerma Cham Lite, match the new skis nicely, part carbon so look a bit bling,
ski holidays
Holy feck - sportsdirect selling tech bindings
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, They occasionally have some decent random stuff. I bought a Pieps DSP Pro transceiver for less than £200 in the Summer Very Happy
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Holy feck - sportsdirect selling tech bindings

SP bought the stock from a defunct German sports shop in the summer of last year which contained a bunch of old Dynafit stock.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy