Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poles

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of buying my husband some new ski poles for Christmas. He's a good downhill skier - we don't do off piste and rarely powder. Am I right in thinking that carbon are the best? Anyone recommend a good website?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't say that carbon poles are the best if you are looking for standard alpine poles. Aluminium poles, which most people use, will do the exact same job, equally well. Carbon poles will be a bit lighter, and some people might have a preference for that, but won't do a better job than aluminium.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The upside of Carbon Poles is their lightness, strength, swing weight, low air resistance and they lessen the "shock" when planting a pole at speed.

The downside is the substantial cost and the fact that you have to watch them like a hawk, as they are desirable and easy to nick.....I would never leave them hanging over the skis, unattended.

IMO. They are nice to have, but imo there are better places to spend money. If I have to replace mine, I'd would just go with some cheap Aluminium ones.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

...low air resistance...

Oh, you wacky skiers! Just admit they look super-kewl-awesome, accept they might not turn you into Franz Klammer and buy 'em. You don't need to drape everything in pseudo-tech justification to have a me-wantee moment y'know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

...low air resistance...

Oh, you wacky skiers! Just admit they look super-kewl-awesome, accept they might not turn you into Franz Klammer and buy 'em. You don't need to drape everything in pseudo-tech justification to have a me-wantee moment y'know.

At least I didn't quote their Coefficient of Drag! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My carbon poles (Goode) are the longest lasting I've ever had, at something like 900 ski days...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have some nice Head Carbon poles and some cheap Scott Aluminium poles,
My carbons are quite skinny and flex when you have to pole, so for that reason i tend to use the more solid Scotts.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
My carbon poles (Goode) are the longest lasting I've ever had, at something like 900 ski days...

I had a set of them at a time...they certainly lasted a long time. One of them finally snapped, just as I was aggressively pushing off a chair, causing me to collapse sideways and disappear down a banking...much to the amusement of lady Fartbag.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag, less of the "swing weight" more of the "SCHWINGGG! WANT!"
...and my opinions on poles are well documented.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buy them soon as they may be much harder to find after Brexit. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@foxtrotzulu,
Goode are in Utah. Anyway, I don't like the little clogs on the ends of the Head poles.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski poles are one of the most critical and oft over-looked pieces of ski equipment, to the point you really need poles who's weight can be customised to the conditions and time of day.

This can best be achieved with liquid filled poles - http://www.ekosport.co.uk/leki-hot-shot-black-red-17-p-9-7600.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwnebABRCjpvr13dHL8DsSJABB-ILJA5iJouKSXwestN8WItwhD82a5Ra7g5zAMI-N4cDCPBoCuALw_wcB
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been skiing for 30 years or so ( knackered now Toofy Grin ) and had my own equipment for 20 years plus. The only original equipment I still own is a roll neck fleece, and a set of aluminium poles. Baggage handlers at various airports have left their mark on my poles, but they still work Madeye-Smiley . Aluminium is best for pole whacking, pole clicking, and bending back to somewhere near straight Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
The upside of Carbon Poles is ... and they lessen the "shock" when planting a pole at speed.

Really? How so?

I've never used carbon poles, but I use carbon paddles for kayaking precisely because they're so stiff (compared to fibreglass) that every little movement and change of water pressure on the blade is transmitted up the shaft to my hands, so I can really feel what's going on. I'd have thought that the stiffness in carbon poles would similarly transmit more feedback (as with carbon skis and pretty much anything else carbon I can think of)?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
The upside of Carbon Poles is ... and they lessen the "shock" when planting a pole at speed.

Really? How so?

I've never used carbon poles, but I use carbon paddles for kayaking precisely because they're so stiff (compared to fibreglass) that every little movement and change of water pressure on the blade is transmitted up the shaft to my hands, so I can really feel what's going on. I'd have thought that the stiffness in carbon poles would similarly transmit more feedback (as with carbon skis and pretty much anything else carbon I can think of)?

Because they have a certain amount of flex (which cushions the shock), as alluded to by Neville in one of the above posts.
snow report
Thank you all so much! I think it will be aluminium.
snow conditions
I use the lekki hotshot poles. Excellent for warming the cockles filled with winter spice jaeger. Very Happy
latest report
I did wonder about those but worried they were a bit gimmicky. Would save us carrying the hip flask, I suppose....
snow report
@LizAtk, aluminium poles are rubbish. Every pair I've ever owned has got chipped, scratched and bent just by looking at them (or so it feels). And worse, the thinner and lighter (i.e. more expensive) they are, the easier they get damaged.

My 2004 Dynastar Legende Freeride graphite/steel tip poles though are magnificent. You can lean on them while waiting for people to group up and they flex but return back pin straight every time. You can push hard on them for poling with no fear of bending them permanently. The light swing weight is terrific on piste and the slightly inclined grip always keeps them forward. They also have interchangeable baskets for powder and snap off straps so you don't rip your arm off if they catch on something.

Until I bought Kastle skis I always said I'd be more pissed off if someone nicked my poles than if someone nicked my skis, that's how much I love them. They were expensive (70 Euro reduced from 120, I think, in the end-of season sale in 2005) but worth every centime. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a direct equivalent in the current range but there are plenty of other composite poles around.

Something like this would be a good choice for an on-piste skier IMO, with most of the benefits mentioned above: http://www.dynastar.com/de-ch/product/power-40
latest report
They add a bit of weight when full up but but you don't really notice it. No need to take gloves off to have a little shot. Wondering which drink to take this year. Very Happy
latest report
I would be pleased to get some carbon poles for Christmas.

But I am ATGNI, but would match my hat.
ski holidays
@Norrin Radd,
You have a carbon hat ???
snow report
@musher, the bobble is a buckyball
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways,
He must have a very small hat then Laughing
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Really? How so?

Because they have a certain amount of flex (which cushions the shock), as alluded to by Neville in one of the above posts.

Interesting, but weird because it goes against pretty much every other use of carbon I can think of (i.e. add stiffness without weight). My carbon paddles literally don't flex at all, for example.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Interesting, but weird because it goes against pretty much every other use of carbon I can think of (i.e. add stiffness without weight). My carbon paddles literally don't flex at all, for example.
My carbon poles flex a bit, probably more than my aluminium poles could without buckling.
snow report
My carbon golf shafts flex noticeably, my bike doesn't. All depends on the carbon layup. Did have some carbon poles years ago, broke a basket, couldn't get a replacement so left them in Tignes and got some ally ones.
ski holidays
Composites can be designed to flex significantly and absorb shock, if desired - and skis with carbon layup still have considerable flex!

I got given some carbon poles, would agree with all the points at the top - light, low swing weight, don't like leaving outside a restaurant!
They can bend when leaning on them hard but always spring back.
Could be prone to splintering if cut hard with edges then bent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We don't ski hard or fast, and my husband is not a heavy man. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem bringing them inside when we stop for lunch or a drink. Now I'm swinging back towards carbon over aluminium! If he keeps them as long as he's had his bashed up aluminium ones, they'll see him out! I assume I should get all mountain, and steer clear of things that say suitable for freeride or racing. Thanks for all the info, @Raceplate.
snow report
gravity-slave wrote:
Composites can be designed to flex significantly and absorb shock, if desired - and skis with carbon layup still have considerable flex!

I'll bow to your and other's experience as I've never tried them for skiing (and whatever is going on in your photo is way over my head Embarassed), but I would note in your ski example they'd flex even more without the carbon - the point of carbon in skis is to make them stiffer without using more of the trad. (heavy) materials like wood/fibreglass/metal.
snow conditions
I do like the Volkl Phantastick 2 alloy poles, scratch a little bit very nice to use. I had carbon but snapped one, another issue I found was that if you are banging your boot to knock snow off you can damage the material and cause splinters to lift. I prefer alloy for off piste use, but for pure piste light carbon poles are lovely to plant.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
Something like this would be a good choice for an on-piste skier IMO, with most of the benefits mentioned above: http://www.dynastar.com/de-ch/product/power-40

Quote:
Sold as a pair.

I saw that I thought in horror what the price might be, but only 99 Euro Toofy Grin
latest report
Thanks - they look perfect!
snow report
Mine are something like this: http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/ski-c26/equipment-c87/ski-poles-c181/leki-carbon-14-ski-poles-p20906/s99242?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=leki-carbon-14-ski-poles-size-120-colour-black-32258009006&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&gclid=CJOYtM2MjdACFUcQ0wodYrYNjw
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, Hmm... they only seem to come in 120cm rather than 125cm, but I'll look on other websites. I can't see the Dynastar Power 40s available from any UK store..... frustrating!
ski holidays
LizAtk wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Hmm... they only seem to come in 120cm rather than 125cm, but I'll look on other websites. I can't see the Dynastar Power 40s available from any UK store..... frustrating!

What about here: http://www.exxpozed.com/leki-carbon-14-s.html?s=559065&currency=GBP&pup_e=1&pup_cid=6281&pup_id=15B-2991000714912&gclid=CNHcza-SjdACFeYK0wodacIORA
snow report
Ah, thank you - actually, even Amazon do them.
ski holidays
Good job. Let us know what you do and how it goes.
snow report
This forum is so incredibly helpful - I didn't know where to start. Thanks to all of you!
snow conditions
Most of us take refuge on here because we are obsessed with skiing. We are stuffed full of more information than we know what to do with. A lot of friends and family think we're nuts...when they're gloomily battening down the hatches for winter, we all come out of our burrows and spring to life (checking webcams, buying equipment we don't really need and deciding whether to tune our side edge angles to 2 or 3 degrees). If we don't find someone to offload this excess knowledge onto, we eventually explode!

So you are really doing us a favour and making us feel useful. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy