Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help to get to Wengen Sat 11th Feb

Poster: A snowHead
The cheapest way I have found so far, travelling from the SE is easyjet to Basle, then train. Does anyone else have any other cheaper suggestions. I know it is the start of half term and most flights are very expensive. I need to travel that day.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Options -

BA to Zurich or Geneva then train it (3 to 4 hour t/fer)
Flybe from Southampton into Berne,then only an 45mins t/fer
Inghams flight only from Gatwick to Berne

Good luck
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd pay the extra (if not too much more) and do Southampton to Berne, Saturday flights arrive in Berne arround 10.30 meaning you could be in Wengen by 12.00 in time for lunch, the advantage is that the transfer only costs 55 CHF, pay on the bus ! Mind you it does mean getting to Southampton airport by 6.45 am Shocked but the advantage with going from such a small airport is only needing 1 hour check ins and no long waits for luggage etc.

If leaving on Saturday you need to be down to Lauterbrunnen by 08.20 but the bus then takes you straight to the airport

Going via Basle means approximately 3 hours travelling with a bus from the airport, possible change at Berne and definate changes at Interlaken Ost and Lauterbrunnen

Where in Wengen are you staying ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both.
I only need to travel one way, Inghams is more expensive, Ba only offer return flights online unless I have missed something, flybe is not cheap that day.
I am not sure where I am staying yet, with a school group that week, so nowhere expensive Very Happy
The train from Basle runs often and if I leave early can enjoy a few coffees.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dunk,
Quote:

Ba only offer return flights online unless I have missed something

Click on 'Book One-way and multi-city' which is on the first page.The cheapest is around £220 www.ba.com

Dunk,
Quote:

Inghams is more expensive

£171 return form Gatwick to Berne or £196 from Manchester.Birmingham to Berne (i know you are going one way)

£184 with Flybe from Southampton to Berne one way
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is there no way of flying out Friday and doing a hotel stop or something as the prices drop by half when flying on that day...

Good luck again
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dunk, I take it you can't hitch a lift on the coach?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, No I have to miss the coach, last minute change at work. Coach return.
Chris Brookes, looked at those options, Basle flight is £120 at moment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dunk,
Quote:

Basle flight is £120 at moment.

on top of the £120,how much will the train t/fer cost aswell as time.Would the Southampton - Berne way be better after taking into count t/fer costs and time maybe wasted ??
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dunk, when you're on the plane, think of me stuck on a coach to Austria. I'd love a last minute change of plan at work if it meant I could fly!

Are the school going with a tour op? If so, they may have another coach going much later that you could hitch a ride with?? Last year, my group's crossing was 4pm, a friend was on one at 11pm!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, coach last year to St Johann, late departing, missed ferry, stuck in traffic, not a nice 24 hours, the drivers were nearly out of time. Only good thing was the kids were well behaved.
Can not make later ferry as will not get home from work untill nearly 11pm so alas I have to fly Sad
I was hoping to keep my wages for beer, coffee and rosti money, but loks as if I will be spending them on travel. Confused
Chris Brookes, train is 55Ch, so relatively cheap, plus the pleasure of riding on a clean and punctual service.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Aahh, memories of school bus trips abroad come flooding back. There's the the flushing toilet that vacuum sealed the door shut if you flushed before opening and took 5 minutes to equalise before letting you out. The malfunctioning aircon that left frost on the inside of the windows and assorted people stuck to them when they fell asleep, the thaw was mighty impressive. The duff electrics that always went off when the (bootleg but the teachers never twigged) film was getting interesting. The drivers repacking the luggage bays with crates of beer hidden in the middle.
Made for some great holidays though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The coaches have improved and last year watched all 2005 blockbuster films before they were released at the cinema. Just trying to be positive I hate coach trips to the Alps, should be banned, then all the kids would fly and me with them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree. Coach trips shouls be banned. I should be doing 2 this year, but have decided I'm doing self drive at Easter....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You're driving the coach?
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, I have looked into that option....and have a few phone numbers of coach companies.

No, on this occasion I'm taking the car out......because I'm not planning on travelling back until after the EOSB.
ski holidays
Part of the holiday for me is the actual driving down to the Alps and at least keeps you busy.Sitting on a coach would bore me senseless
ski holidays
Chris Brookes sitting on the coach isn't the worst bit....trying to sleep on a coach when you're surrounded by 14 yr olds is the bad bit!! At least if you are driving the coach you get to sit out of their way wink
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, true Laughing
latest report
Sad update, I can now get away from work and go on the coach, hope those 14 year olds keep quiet. Evil or Very Mad
But the next trip in Easter I will not suffer again, either flying or self drive.
latest report
Dunk, where are you off too at Easter? Anywhere nice?
snow report
Meiringen, Switzerland. Skied there last Feb after the huge dumps, sun came out just as we finished the lessons, excellent powder afternoon. Looking forward to going back there.
snow report
Elizabeth B, Oh forgot the culture, Arthur Conan Doyle stayed there alot, There is a Sherlock Holmes museum
snow report
Been there in the summer, but not skied the area.
snow conditions
Quite nice skiing, alot to do, as I only get an hour or so free each day. I believe the lift system has been upgraded this season, getting up the hill was major queues unless you get to the lifts before 8:30 (it was half term).
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, I should not mention this but as well as playing on my PC, I am packing my bag for a weeks skiing in Megeve, leaving at 5am.
ski holidays
Hmm...alright for some. I have another 2 weeks before my 1st trip....unless you count the PSB (in Oct) as being this season!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy