Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Scotland - how can it be improved (facilities, transport, marketing etc)?

Poster: A snowHead
@Neil Neige, "But for others it's amazing you can ski in the UK"

Why? I've never understood this concept. If you'd said 'It's a amazing you can ski just 60 minutes from home', then I'm with you, but the mere fact that it's in the UK really doesn't mean very much to me or most people I'd suggest.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dogwatch, winterhighland also usually has a written outlook, and brief forecasts for 5 days ahead if you click on the individual ski areas during the season, though not shown at present:

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@balernoStu, how reliable are the forecasts? When I last lived in Scotland (1998) I remember often waiting for a midnight call the night before for go/no-go.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
what...snow wrote:
@dogwatch, I do lots k at the forecasts all week but I don't get too excited and actually start organising things until at least Thursday. Seen the isobars suddenly tighten and wind speeds increase too often as the shape of a depression changes slightly. A decent bit of northern blocking and a solid high pressure zone and the reliable time increases

Thanks, that's interesting, if not entirely encouraging.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Compared to Shropshire or Wales, Scotland is pretty reliable for 'local' skiing Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

What I need to know is the weather 3-4 days ahead so webcams would do me no good at at all. Thanks for the pointer to MWIS, however it seems pretty sparse after the next 24 hours. Maybe that's just what forecasting in mountains is like. Forecasts in the Alps are pretty worthless more than a couple of days ahead, forecasts for southern England are generally good now 3-4 days ahead.

MWIS do a 3 day forecast but it's probably not up just now as they only do it in the winter season, they also have a longer general outlook forecast along with that at the bottom of the page/pdf.
But as you say mountain forecasting is difficult, they have just the same problems as folks in the alps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, I'm still mostly deciding the evening before, maybe 10pm now rather than midnight Toofy Grin

As what...snow" points out, in settled weather you can plan a lot earlier, while if you're looking for the lull between lows then the timing can still be hard to predict more than a day or so ahead. I do think weather forecasts have improved, as has access to data to make up your own mind. However I've averaged only around 5 days or so a season for the last few years due more local commitments, so there will likely be others here who've been skiing a lot more up North to advise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Neil Neige wrote:

It's just a perspective thing though isn't it? You are from Scotland. It's what you grew up with. It's skiing normality. There is nothing exciting or interesting for you in going skiing in Scotland.
But for others, it's amazing that you can ski in the UK.

I've skied in over 15 different countries including in Africa, on Mediterranean islands, and in the far north of Arctic Scandinavia, as well as over 30 resorts in the Alps. I love trying out different places, and I love coming back to Scotland. As previously mentioned, part of it is the adventure of taking the Caledonian Sleeper.
Last winter I had about 12 skiing days in various parts of Europe. Two were truly awful. I could hardly see 10 feet ahead of me, and I felt nauseous skiing along in a constant white-out. Where was I? Switzerland. That was the worse day there, the second worse day had slightly better weather but massive queues everywhere - up to an hour long, rubbish snow, and ludicrously crowded pistes. Switzerland yet again. Then, at the end of the season I had two days at Glen Coe. I never queued longer than 3 or 4 minutes. The snow was lovely, the weather wasn't perfect but visibility was good, and I had glimpses of blue sky on both days. Only the higher runs were open but I had a great time.
If you can only go on one trip in the season, of course it doesn't make sense to go to Scotland instead of the Alps. But if you have a free weekend, there's a decent accumulation across the mountain, the forecast is looking OK, and there are affordable tickets on the sleeper train, it's well worth a punt.

Didn't intend to wind anyone up and genuinely pleased you're getting a lot from trips up here, I've had an awful lot of days in Scotland over the years, many good, many poor and had season tickets a lot of years at Cairngorm so didn't give up on it, kept at it, just wanted to paint an honest picture, the old adage - 'if you can ski there you can ski anywhere' is true and I noticed in Chamonix on really bad weather days it was generally only Brits and Scandinavians out in it because we're hardened to bad skiing weather from home. Had a week in Soll last winter and the snow was poor there, had got far too warm so was bulletproof early, staying icy high up and slushy lower later in day so yes conditions can be variable anywhere, that I accept.

In terms of the OPs' question of how to improve things I think all the marketing strategies have been looked at again and again over decades to exhaustion, nowadays with twitter feeds and facebook posts from the resorts flying around providing live mountain info and better weather forecasting that informs decisions to travel up. I'm not sure there's too much more that can be done, anyone who skis or boards in the UK knows there are Scottish ski areas available but if you're in the midlands or south of England it's just as easy to go south I think as go north with no frills airlines making it affordable even for short breaks.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 3-11-16 9:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BalernoStu

I also live in Balerno, assume you do as well...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
marmotman wrote:

In terms of the OPs' question of how to improve things I think all the marketing strategies have been looked at again and again over decades to exhaustion, nowadays with twitter feeds and facebook posts from the resorts flying around providing live mountain info and better weather forecasting that informs decisions to travel up. I'm not sure there's too much more that can be done, anyone who skis or boards in the UK knows there are Scottish ski areas available but if you're in the midlands or south of England it's just as easy to go south I think as go north with no frills airlines making it affordable even for short breaks.

Indeed : with the internet / webcams etc it has never been easier to plan a last minute trip up north.
MWIS or Met Office forecasts are usually reliable 3 to 4 days out now.
So if it looks good on a tues / wed then plenty time for folk in central belt / north England to stick skis in the car.
Jan -> April is low season : so generally little need to book accommodation in advance (unless it is Easter in Aviemore).

When looking at weather forecasts the 2 things to check for are drifting snow blocking the access roads or high winds (>50mph) potentially closing lifts.
Both of these problems are usually easily anticipated and avoided if you are flexible with plans.

If you are coming from down south (and really need to book in advance) then March -> mid April is by far the best time of year.
Much more settled weather, generally lighter winds and less chance of storm bound days.
We ski on drifted snow in Scotland and by spring the gullies have filled in properly from the previous winter storms.
Often the best of time of year for skiing and queues, even at weeekends, unusual.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wonder if the French and Austrians are as disparaging about their own countries as some are here about skiing in the UK rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter S wrote:
I wonder if the French and Austrians are as disparaging about their own countries as some are here about skiing in the UK rolling eyes

I skied a number of times last season with a French lad who was studying at Glasgow Uni, we car shared. He was from Grenoble and grew up skiing. He loved Glencoe.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geeo wrote:
MWIS do a 3 day forecast but it's probably not up just now as they only do it in the winter season.

The MWIS forecast is updated every day all through the year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:

You're reading too far into that - its not disparaging about our own countries, Scotland has some tremendous country and if you asked about mountain biking or winter climbing for example I'd say it's world class in Scotland, skiing is not. If you talk about skiing in Australia it is also very marginal given the warmer climate and most Aussies would agree with that imo. We are lucky we can ski in Scotland, but in in terms of uplift/snow cover/snow condition/cost/weather/infrastructure etc etc it is very hit and miss.
It's only an opinion of course no problems with others disagreeing. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The MWIS forecast is updated every day all through the year.

Ah yes so it is, I'm thinking of the sais report.
Quote:
Scotland has some tremendous country and if you asked about mountain biking or winter climbing for example I'd say it's world class in Scotland, skiing is not.

OMG who on this thread has said that it was?, sorry but your reading skills aint that great, or worse they are fine but... Shocked
ski holidays
[quote="geeo"]
Quote:

OMG who on this thread has said that it was?, sorry but your reading skills aint that great, or worse they are fine but... Shocked

Was simply demonstrating I am not biased against my own country with that example, think you know that but seems you're determined to belittle anyone who dare criticize Scottish skiing with a sarcastic reply. Puzzled
snow report
It's a real pain to have to get up early to look at the Glencoe webcam and be on the slopes 90 minutes later (with the foot down).
snow conditions
Quote:

anyone who skis or boards in the UK knows there are Scottish ski areas available

The response I've had from every skier when I have said that I drive up to Scotland to ski, whether a Brit abroad in the alps or over a beer in the pub is invariably "Is that Aviemore? Isn't it miles away?" The rest of the U.K. ski areas should be better known.

I can sort of see how it became the 'name' destination but it truly is trading on past glories. Not the highest, largest or oldest. Barely the most reliable. Most vertical -sometimes, just. Best touring, some good couloirs. Best lift for boarders, most variety off 1 lift I suppose. But the rest of the lift system is terrible, The Ptarmigan and Fiacaill Ridge are in the right place, Cas is fair enough, Daylodge a saviour all too often. West Wall in totally the wrong place, Ciste very short, Car Park finishes in wrong place and has a nice downhill section. M1 always too busy. What else - good pubs certainly, err...'good' queues. I don't really think that is good enough. It is the destination people have heard of but unfortunately offers the poorest experience, and most expensive.

Sorry, enough CG bashing, there's a massive thread on winterhighland or save the Ciste website if you want to understand.
ski holidays
what...snow wrote:

The response I've had from every skier when I have said that I drive up to Scotland to ski, whether a Brit abroad in the alps or over a beer in the pub is invariably "Is that Aviemore? Isn't it miles away?"

Yup, that was my impression until getting on here and doing a bit more looking.
ski holidays
An interesting thread especially since I am moving back to Scotland in March. As I will only be about 90 mins drive from Glenshee it looks like that will be my first choice but I also hope to get in some day trips to Glencoe in the future.
snow report
interpaul wrote:
@BalernoStu

I also live in Balerno, assume you do as well...

Yes, for a good few years now. Just got to figure out from your Nevis Range pics if I recognise you now! Looks like you got a cracking day.
ski holidays
We have done a fair bit of skiing here (Cairngorm and The Lecht). On a good day it's brilliant but a lot of the time it's just not worth going. We will only go on a weekday and make the decision on the day weather-wise. The forecast really cannot be relied upon more than a day in advance. Some of the drag lifts are painfully slow - I wish they would speed them up! The best conditions are usually the end of the season in April / May.
Also worth considering is the cross country skiing. We have been to Loch Morlich and Clashindarroch and had great conditions at both. The wind isn't so much of an issue. You don't see this marketed very much at all but lots of work goes into the trail preparations.
ski holidays
I learned to ski in Scotland 6 years ago. What a fantastic Skiing season 2010 was. I remember going up with a friend from Glasgow to Nevis Range on the 2nd of January under beautiful blue skies, cold conditions and great snow. From then on I was addicted and my life has changed - I'm now working as a part time ski instructor.

Until a couple of years ago I didn't have access to a car, so used the bus. I lived on Great Western Road in Glasgow so the bus was only a few minutes walk from the house. It dropped me off at the bottom of the access road to Glencoe. Usually someone driving up the road would give me a lift up to the centre with all my stuff.

The Skiing in Scotland is as good as any I've had in 9 weeks of Alpine skiing, only different. All the Ski areas in Scotland have a great and individual feel to them. When you go regularly there's familiar faces. Getting to know a ski area that well means you know which bits will be best in different conditions.

Over the past 6 years I've seen a massive amount of development at all the Scottish Ski areas. My local area, Glencoe, has a new tow, and is building a new chair. They have two brand new Pisten Bulleys. The cafe on the hill is the same old welcoming hut it always was with fantastic views in all directions. The cafe at the base station is now much improved serving great food & cold beer, has a log fire and real atmosphere.

Glenshee has a new three person chair on the Tiger, Nevis has a new cafe. Both Nevis and Cairngorm have local buses running from their respective town centres up to the ski areas regularly.

The Season is also often a long one. I skied at Cairngorm this year on the closing weekend in mid May.

Yes, @Gaza, the weather can be like that, But I've also had many days like that in the Alps. As @Bigtipper has shown it's very often bluebird days. You just need to pick your days. Flexibility is what it's all about.

As for improvements, I'm sure all the ski areas have loads of plans in the pipeline. A few improvements that may help me are: Promote the bus as a way to get there - think of the environment a bit! Maybe make a joint bus/lift pass from Glasgow. When you don't have access to a car the bus ticket adds a lot to the cost of a day trip. Also, at Glencoe, if they met the Citylink bus at the A82 with a minibus to collect skiers off it, that would improve the likely walk up the road (although it was a good warm up!). At other areas the local buses could wait for the Citylink bus to arrive for a smooth transfer.

That's pretty much it for improvements that I can think of off the top of my head. Like I said, over the past 6 years all the Scottish ski areas are to be congratulated for their investment and planning, and if the winters continue to be like they have been over that period then we've got a lot to look forward to!

D
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:
Neil Neige wrote:
Gaza wrote:
geeo wrote:
Load of pish

Have to agree with the final comment.

Skiing in Scotland is third world skiing.

Technically, of course, both Austria and Switzerland are third world countries,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World
Sorry - no-one likes a pedant!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I was of course referring to the skiing, not our wonderful country. NehNeh NehNeh

I posted this a while back. Funnily enough the Scottish Tourist Board haven't asked if they can use it.

http://youtube.com/v/wRT-F8YiqWE

Look a lot like typical day here at Cannon or Wildcat in NH.

Awesome video!
snow conditions
switch off the gulf stream
latest report
On the rocks wrote:

and stretch the hills to mountain size.
snow report
How is the season shaping up in Scotland? Has the been the same absence of snow as per the lower alps?
latest report
www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/scotland?over=none&symbols=summary.upper_depth&type=nav

This says it all, (the forecast will change but for those who read this later on in time, there were zeros in the top lift snow depth on 15 Dec 2016 at all resorts on the map. Strangely Cairngorm does not appear today, maybe this is a temporary bug)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A poor start to the season. There is no sign of snow on the hills at present but there is some forecast for next week. Not enough to open the resorts but we're hopeful.
snow conditions
It seems Glenshee might be putting in a new chairlift to replace an old T-Bar.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeenshire/1113882/north-east-ski-centre-in-bid-to-replace-uncomfortable-tow-with-four-seater-chairlift/

That side of the road has held snow well over the last few years. Seems another positive move by Glenshee.

Though that chairlift will unload people onto a very windy ridge, i wonder if that could have an impact on how many days it can open.
ski holidays
scotspikey wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

It would be nice to have some bigger ones, but I don't think it's fair to say we've got hills, not mountains.
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
scotspikey wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

It would be nice to have some bigger ones, but I don't think it's fair to say we've got hills, not mountains.

All the locals I've ever met refer to them as hills!
ski holidays
manicpb wrote:
All the locals I've ever met refer to them as hills!

It's not the size of the hill/mountain that matters, but how much snow it gets and holds - and if you can still get up to the dratted thing when it's got too much wink
latest report
The snow forecast for the next 0-6 days in Scotland is good. Check it out

www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/scotland?over=none&symbols=snow&type=snow.next3to6days

Might be some skiing in the new year, especially Glencoe and Nevis range which seem to be forecast to do the best.
snow report
UK definition of mountain is >2,000ft, so Cairngorm certainly meets criteria...
latest report
My understanding is that summits in Scotland are referred to (by Scots) as hills, regardless of their size. Thus there are no mountains in Scotland, but it's not a height issue.

But splitting hairs aside - a few hundred metres extra height would help a lot with snow cover (though probably not with wind!).
latest report
Quote:
It's a real pain to have to get up early to look at the Glencoe webcam and be on the slopes 90 minutes later (with the foot down).
Don't know you're born man! Laughing You could be 250 miles away like us - & always have to make a decision on travel/digs the night before rolling eyes...

We once set off when the weather was marginal....and turned back after about 90 miles when the forecast worsened en route. Of course the weather then turned out okay....while we twiddled our thumbs at home... Confused
ski holidays
The Gulf stream makes a significant difference. Without it there could be ski centres throughout the UK although the wind would still be a problem. But it is what it is.
ski holidays
Glencoe website says....

"Runs starting to fill in nicely with more snow forecast. Keep up the snow dancing ."

The hill local to me in Scotland has had snow, then it rained, then it had more snow. It is probably quite thick at the very top, but thin lower down.

My guess is that conditions will not be perfect for skiing until mid January to February. The lifts cannot run in the high winds anyway.
snow report
denfinella wrote:
My understanding is that summits in Scotland are referred to (by Scots) as hills, regardless of their size. Thus there are no mountains in Scotland, but it's not a height issue.

The facilities are half-way up ... http://rossofmoffat.com/albums/ben-nevis/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy