Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Scotland - how can it be improved (facilities, transport, marketing etc)?

Poster: A snowHead
flicky wrote:
Two markets in my view, with different requirements.

1- short visits/day trippers, who live in driving distance and book last minute when the weather is decent.

Main improvements needed here are aimed at maximising time and enjoyment on the slopes. So better lift infrastructure, faster ski hire, efficient arrival management, good piste grooming, efficient and decent eating options. And once the infrastructure can cope, better marketing when conditions are good (no use pulling in thousands of punters for a terrible experience waiting in lift queues, as is the norm at cairngorm).

2 - longer visits, typically booked in advance.

Scotland will never be the Alps and the weather is just too variable to attract the same kind of ski visitor. So I think Scottish areas trying to attract this market need to be aiming at those looking for a different kind of holiday, perhaps with mixed activities (e.g. Fort William is well placed for two ski destinations, and two indoor climbing destinations. It has a decent public swimming pool and ten-pin bowling. If they could add a few other bad weather activities and entertainment, like a cinema, then you have the basis for a decent winter break, whatever the weather. Then it's up to the tourist board to promote all those activities.

From the ski centre's perspective, snow-making is important in order to maximise the possible ski days and increase the confidence of those booking in advance that they will have snow to ski on.

Glenshee and the Lecht probably need to focus more on group 1 due to lack of a nearby population centre with good tourist options. Nevis and cairngorm, and to some extent Glencoe, can aim for both.

Nice summary. One thing I would add though is the West Highland train ride from Fort William to Mallaig. Read pretty much any article on the world's best train journeys, and it'll be in there. There's been a lot of stuff about train rides to and through the Alps in the ski media in the last 5 years so this would surely be a great activity to promote on days that you can't ski.

Couple of other things. I was hoping there might have been some kind of post-ski musical gathering going on down at the bottom when the lifts shut at Glencoe. A live band or just someone playing music and people dancing around. Does this ever happen at the Scottish resorts? Maybe at the height of the season? I love this element of Alpine trips, especially to Austria. Surely not that difficult/expensive to sort?

Another draw for me coming up from the south would be to stay in a fairly nice hotel for around £50-£70 per night. There seems to be a couple (or one at least) in Fort William that have indoor pools. That's a really enjoyable element to a ski trip, too. Even if the weather was bad, it would be fun just staying in a half decent hotel for a couple of nights. Back in the early 2000s there used to be a sleeper train and hotel package deal for under £200 (included cabin on train and two nights' half board at hotel) - a really great offer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just looked at the sleeper from London on a random weekend in January. £240 return per person. I'm out. £240 can get me a return flight and transfer to various much larger and less weather dependent resorts near Geneva. Plus at that cost two days of skiing is getting expensive before I even buy a lift pass.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Neil Neige I have stayed at Glencoe many a time overnight. Sometimes there is a bit of a party, other times it is almost silent. No ryme or reason to it, just depends on who is up that weekend.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Everything is pretty much there already. What needs to happen is more skiers getting off their bottoms and getting up there rather than staying at home and not skiing.....I'm just as guilty.

Scottish skiing is often very good late into the season when the days are longer the weather is better and the snow has accumulated. The problem is that is not in November and tends to be March and April, long after the main enthusiasm on sites like this have dropped away.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Does this ever happen at the Scottish resorts?

not every weekend, but...

http://www.groovecairngorm.co.uk/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
Just looked at the sleeper from London on a random weekend in January. £240 return per person. I'm out. £240 can get me a return flight and transfer to various much larger and less weather dependent resorts near Geneva. Plus at that cost two days of skiing is getting expensive before I even buy a lift pass.

I've just looked at several Friday night options in January. The cheapest single fare is £55. I'm in!
This is for the seated sleeper - a properly reclining seat (not like Eurostar overnight) but a cabin is obviously preferable.
The cheap prices for cabins aren't released until much nearer the time but when I went last season I think they came down to about £70-80.
As I said before, it doesn't make sense if it's your only trip of the winter but if you're doing a few short ones, it's an excellent experience.
I'll probably also be heading to Geneva this winter - great gateway to the Alps and loads of cool resorts within an hour or two.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scotspikey wrote:
@Neil Neige I have stayed at Glencoe many a time overnight. Sometimes there is a bit of a party, other times it is almost silent. No ryme or reason to it, just depends on who is up that weekend.

Oh good stuff, although I was thinking more of the immediate time when lifts are shutting for the day (4-5pm) and people are just grabbing a drink or two before they head off home. The Scottish equivalent of the Austrian resort euro-pop singalong!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 2-11-16 19:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best snow I had last season was in the back corries at Nevis Range, I also spent 3 weeks in the Alps as well over the course of last season - and Nevis was the best day for me.

You have to be prepared to hike a bit, or skin but am happy with that - I got 6 epic descents and did not see another person skiing in the 30cm of sweet pow we had to ourself all day.

I live in Edinburgh so can travel for the day when weather/snow all fall in line and am pretty flexible with work so can usually go at a days or twos notice.

Would never book a weeks holiday with expectation of skiing everyday, but April and May can be epic and provide superb touring.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@what...snow, you seem to have plenty of experience of Scotland. I am a nervous intermediate with 9 and 11 year olds. I can fly to Glasgow or Inverness. Which resort should I head for? All other Snowheads, same question, please. Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Langers Utd, If you can choose when to go i.e not half term or a bluebirb day after a big snowfall go to Aviemore from Inverness, it's the easiest to access from those Airports, the train up the mountain makes it a much more pleasant experience than chairlifts or pomas & t-bars and Aviemore itself is a great place to stay, it's the closest to what you might have experienced abroad.

Keep an eye on facebook on their page and winterhighland to get the latest info, be aware though it can get very busy as can all the resorts when it's good, going midweek it the best time though if you can.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Inverness for Cairngorm - very close 30 miles. I avoid Cairngorm now, lack of lifts and bad queue management - if you are going at half term or a weekend forget it.

Glasgow for Glencoe (1.45 hours) and Nevis Range (2.5 hours) drive

Glenshee is probably your best bet for an intermediate - more lifts and all pretty easy runs, if so Dundee or Edinburgh is best.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@geeo, I didn't think you could use the funicular for skiing?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@uderanewname haha it is what Natural Retreats rely on to get Skiers up the hill. It's been a disaster, closed if there is too much snow, closed due to icing - often it is the only way up to mid station.

I hate it Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 2-11-16 16:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Neil Neige,
Quote:

I've just looked at several Friday night options in January. The cheapest single fare is £55. I'm in!

Are you sure? I couldn't see anyuthing close to that. What's the return price? (coming back over Sunday night)?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@geeo, I didn't think you could use the funicular for skiing?

Yes it's the main way up the hill, you can still get up via the surface lifts, snow dependant.
Quote:

@uderanewname haha it is what Natural Retreats rely on to get Skiers up the hill. It's been a disaster, closed if there is too much snow, closed due to icing - often it is the only way up to mid station.

I hate it

Mmm it's not Natural retreats fault they just inherited it and it's issues and your being a bit dramatic saying it's a disaster, plenty of folk go there because of it, why do you think it's always rammed Puzzled
ski holidays
@geeo Have skied at Cairngorm for years and years, pre Funicular when they actually had a working lift system that included the Ciste side of the hill it was my fav place to ski and tour.

Agree NR have inherited the problem, and yes IT IS a disaster. Look at Cairngorms FB page during the winter where it was taking punters 4 hours to get up the hill at half term last year albeit this included queuing in a separate ticket queue, then the funicular queue. They have not had a penny from me since 2009 after a weekend when I arrived at 8am, paid cash at the cash desk and was able to use two lifts. The funicular couldn't open after overnight snow - the result queue mayhem with only the Fiacial Poma, Carpark T Bar and Cas Poma open.

M1 had an electrical fault so didn't run. Funicular didn't open that day as they were digging it out.

There were thousands of people and lots of queues at the day lodge - tickets were still sold regardless of the limited uplift. There was a lot of unhappy people.

I asked for a refund at the cash desk at 10am, but was told I had to wait in the the huge ticket queue as it required a till.

Sold my ticket at 10.30am and left...

Cairngorm is now synonymous with Queues and over reliance on the Funicular - the stories are legend. I am far from alone in my view and would only consider a midweek visit out with School holidays but I far prefer Glencoe and Nevis for their terrain and also the attitude to get people on the hill in the best way possible.
latest report
There were hideous queues in the 70s and 80s when I was skiing there ...
snow conditions
Half term is always busy, the train works fine 95% of the time, again it's not NR's fault it snowed bucket loads and the train design is crap, which no one is arguing.
They are not over reliant on it, it's all they have and if the lower slopes have no snow, what else are they to do Puzzled

I am well aware of the queues iv'e stood in them, iv'e sat in my car at the gates waiting and at busy times it's best avoided no doubt, but if you can pick your times and your new to skiing in Scotland and want to fly to Inverness or Glasgow, i'm still going to say to go there as it's a great wee place to ski and stay and when it works it works well.

It's all very well being selective with your dates and issues encountered but that's not the reality all the time, also i agree about their attitude, iv'e told them about it at the ticket office when they were faffing about acting like gormless fools and the queues were out the door down the carpark, why cant someone walk down the q selling cash tickets like Andy does at GC, iv'e no idea but they dont, well i do have an idea it's most likely staff related but still..

I also prefer GC or Nevis or the Shee and have a season ticket for GC
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Neil Neige,
Quote:

Are you sure? I couldn't see anyuthing close to that. What's the return price? (coming back over Sunday night)?

£55 for a single is their standard 'fixed advance' price for a reclining seat, not a cabin.
On 27th/29th Jan 2017, for example, it's £55 each way so £110 in total.
Nearer the time, the price of cabin beds may well come down.
If it didn't and I was on a budget, I'd probably do the seated sleeper up, and fly back from Glasgow Airport (direct bus from Fort William and Glen Coe ski centre).
Another budget option is the Megabus Gold coach back from Glasgow, where you actually have a bed. I tried it last in May and I pretty much slept all the way to London!
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Neil Neige,
Quote:

Just had a glance myself, £55 each way including Fri and Sun (non refundable, £75 and you cancel upto 12:00 the day before)...but they are reclining seats.

Never done the claidonian sleeper, but took a 24hr train journey in Thailand in a reclining seat. Was adequate, booked a shared cabin for the return leg and tbh didn't get a much better nights sleep than on the seat!

Edit, that's not to say I got a bad nights sleep either way...just it's not like sleeping at home in your bed!
snow report
I didn't know the prices on the sleeper dropped closer to the time. How odd. I'd looked at prices for months ahead, assuming that's as cheap as it would get. As per Digger, the price was just a bit too high to tempt me. But I might pay attention to see if there's a last minute option. Strange, as no other train tickets in the U.K. work on that principle, to my knowledge.

A weekend of skiing and/or whisky would be quite acceptable I'm sure.
snow conditions
Maireadoconnor wrote:
I didn't know the prices on the sleeper dropped closer to the time. How odd. I'd looked at prices for months ahead, assuming that's as cheap as it would get. As per Digger, the price was just a bit too high to tempt me. But I might pay attention to see if there's a last minute option. Strange, as no other train tickets in the U.K. work on that principle, to my knowledge. A weekend of skiing and/or whisky would be quite acceptable I'm sure.

Yes, indeed. Quite acceptable - agreeable even!
I don't tend to book much long-distance rail in the UK but I know that some of the airlines actually drop their prices nearer the flight date - they just don't want you to realise it! They want people to pay as soon as possible, and to panic into thinking that prices will only go up.
Booked my flights to Innsbruck a week after my friend booked his last season, and I paid £20 less for the same flight - we're not such good friends anymore.
snow conditions
@geeo, @interpaul, Thanks, both.
ski holidays
Neil Neige wrote:
Maireadoconnor wrote:
I didn't know the prices on the sleeper dropped closer to the time. How odd. I'd looked at prices for months ahead, assuming that's as cheap as it would get. As per Digger, the price was just a bit too high to tempt me. But I might pay attention to see if there's a last minute option. Strange, as no other train tickets in the U.K. work on that principle, to my knowledge. A weekend of skiing and/or whisky would be quite acceptable I'm sure.

Yes, indeed. Quite acceptable - agreeable even!
I don't tend to book much long-distance rail in the UK but I know that some of the airlines actually drop their prices nearer the flight date - they just don't want you to realise it! They want people to pay as soon as possible, and to panic into thinking that prices will only go up.
Booked my flights to Innsbruck a week after my friend booked his last season, and I paid £20 less for the same flight - we're not such good friends anymore.

Doesn't seem to be quite true at the moment (not to say it doesn't happen). The next two weekends are either the same or more expensive than the Jan examples or the last weekend in March (which I've just checked).

I've got Birmingham/Wolverhampton to Fort William for less than £50 return twice before and to get that I had to gamble and book about 6 months in advance...a month before and they were well over £100.
latest report
@Neil Neige, @manicpb, I just looked at the National Rail Enquiries website and that didn't mention those options at all. Must try harder!
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Neil Neige, @manicpb, I just looked at the National Rail Enquiries website and that didn't mention those options at all. Must try harder!

Oh, really? I use the Caledonian Sleeper website:
https://www.sleeper.scot/

-

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 2-11-16 21:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Feel well qualified to comment on this thread as a first post, I grew up close to Aviemore and skied the 80s and 90s there from a young age normally in group of friends which is half the fun, was all we knew so we loved it despite some horrendous weather and crowds. Have skied all the Scottish areas over the years and each have merits and downsides.
As you get older you want a bit more, I've been lucky enough to get a full season in Chamonix just skiing (not working) in 1999 which was a huge winter and also some long trips to the US skiing the Utah resorts and Jackson Hole up in Wyoming and numerous 1 week deals across the Alps. I considered myself an expert back then but have not skied much in last 8 years.
The trouble is once you've had steak you don't want burgers, this is compounded by getting older and having dependents mortgages etc etc. Once you get good and can ski couloirs and deep pow in trees the narrow pistes of Scotland don't cut it really.
For me I now live an hour from Glencoe but getting me up there is tough, offer me the Alps or Rockies however and I'd bite your hand off. It is a different sport here, side slipping down ice with flat light in horizontal sleet or hail is a common occurrence unfortunately despite those in denial who'll tell you it's ace so you really need to be able to pick your days. The uplift and customer service is fairly atrocious also imo. Scotland is ok for skiing but only ok, its marginal at best and its fine to learn here but you get your fill of it quite quickly once you've got some ability and exhausted the limitations of the runs. Off piste is either frozen pack or rotten wet, this is fact, it is not deep powder despite what you read about eg the back corries at Nevis - there's just no comparison with Alps/Rockies. A lot of kids started with school skiing but many gave up due to the problems with weather especially which was a shame as they don't know what they're missing in the Alps. Has to be fun for youngsters to stick it and get the skills and too often its not. Its the flat light conditions that get me the most, too often there is nothing to create contrast between sky and snow alas to the point of getting motion sickness. You really have to be local with season ticket to get value and be able to pick sunny days or half days to make the most of it imo.
I like to stick up for Scottish skiing and my country but some honesty about skiing here doesn't go amiss.
snow conditions
marmotman wrote:
Feel well qualified to comment on this thread as a first post, I grew up close to Aviemore and skied the 80s and 90s there from a young age normally in group of friends which is half the fun, was all we knew so we loved it despite some horrendous weather and crowds. Have skied all the Scottish areas over the years and each have merits and downsides.
As you get older you want a bit more, I've been lucky enough to get a full season in Chamonix just skiing (not working) in 1999 which was a huge winter and also some long trips to the US skiing the Utah resorts and Jackson Hole up in Wyoming and numerous 1 week deals across the Alps. I considered myself an expert back then but have not skied much in last 8 years.
The trouble is once you've had steak you don't want burgers, this is compounded by getting older and having dependents mortgages etc etc. Once you get good and can ski couloirs and deep pow in trees the narrow pistes of Scotland don't cut it really.
For me I now live an hour from Glencoe but getting me up there is tough, offer me the Alps or Rockies however and I'd bite your hand off. It is a different sport here, side slipping down ice with flat light in horizontal sleet or hail is a common occurrence unfortunately despite those in denial who'll tell you it's ace so you really need to be able to pick your days. The uplift and customer service is fairly atrocious also imo. Scotland is ok for skiing but only ok, its marginal at best and its fine to learn here but you get your fill of it quite quickly once you've got some ability and exhausted the limitations of the runs. Off piste is either frozen pack or rotten wet, this is fact, it is not deep powder despite what you read about eg the back corries at Nevis - there's just no comparison with Alps/Rockies. A lot of kids started with school skiing but many gave up due to the problems with weather especially which was a shame as they don't know what they're missing in the Alps. Has to be fun for youngsters to stick it and get the skills and too often its not. Its the flat light conditions that get me the most, too often there is nothing to create contrast between sky and snow alas to the point of getting motion sickness. You really have to be local with season ticket to get value and be able to pick sunny days or half days to make the most of it imo.
I like to stick up for Scottish skiing and my country but some honesty about skiing here doesn't go amiss.

It's just a perspective thing though isn't it? You are from Scotland. It's what you grew up with. It's skiing normality. There is nothing exciting or interesting for you in going skiing in Scotland.
But for others, it's amazing that you can ski in the UK.
I've skied in over 15 different countries including in Africa, on Mediterranean islands, and in the far north of Arctic Scandinavia, as well as over 30 resorts in the Alps. I love trying out different places, and I love coming back to Scotland. As previously mentioned, part of it is the adventure of taking the Caledonian Sleeper.
Last winter I had about 12 skiing days in various parts of Europe. Two were truly awful. I could hardly see 10 feet ahead of me, and I felt nauseous skiing along in a constant white-out. Where was I? Switzerland. That was the worse day there, the second worse day had slightly better weather but massive queues everywhere - up to an hour long, rubbish snow, and ludicrously crowded pistes. Switzerland yet again. Then, at the end of the season I had two days at Glen Coe. I never queued longer than 3 or 4 minutes. The snow was lovely, the weather wasn't perfect but visibility was good, and I had glimpses of blue sky on both days. Only the higher runs were open but I had a great time.
If you can only go on one trip in the season, of course it doesn't make sense to go to Scotland instead of the Alps. But if you have a free weekend, there's a decent accumulation across the mountain, the forecast is looking OK, and there are affordable tickets on the sleeper train, it's well worth a punt.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The only people comparing it to the alps are the folks putting it down, no one else on this thread has said don't go abroad or that Scotland has knee deep powder every week, FFS what is wrong with some people rolling eyes
snow report
That is some quality trolling.
ski holidays
The times I have been to Glencoe have been great fun. Wish it was a bit closer for me and I would probably go more often. I have been lucky enough to get two weeks in the Alps each year for the past few years, but if I can I will drive to Scotland and hope to make the effort a bit more this winter
snow report
@Langers Utd, what geeo and interpaul said. Aviemore has by far the most going on and lapping the Funicular at Cairngorm is as easy and stress free as lifts get in Scotland. Met a local with his 3 year old on it a few years ago, they'd had >40 days over that winter, just using the 1 lift, mid-week only. I must have been up for Easter, I wouldn't go any earlier in the year. All warnings re queues at holidays and weekends hold completely. At the weekend I'd stay in Aviemore and drive to the Lecht for a day and Nevis for the other. Nevis is only really any good for competent red run skiers and above though. Not really enough between the quad chair, alpha and Rob Roy, you want to be able to get right up the summit and look round before a long ski with a short bit of red connecting blues. It's 20 mins on a Gondola back to the carpark. Spectacular scenery though. The Lecht is very gentle, took my children when they were 2 and 4, they have 1 magic carpet and plans for a second. Lots of runs accessible off the 1 chairlift. Lots of fences and dull scenery. You can ski back to your car if you park well.

I learned there in the 80's and I remember many terrible days of skiing uphill due to the severity of the wind, being blasted by ice, skiing on something solid and mostly clear that wasn't snow. Had a pretty rough weekend at Glenshee in February, but that was because it was a pre-arranged lads weekend. Very windy and the week before they were due to open a new 3 man chairlift. We made plans at the bottom of each lift, then sped downhill out of the wind. Stayed in a great chalet. Cost £100/night, for all 5 of us! Not booked, just drove into the 1st place we saw. Skied that sort of weather regularly when I lived up there. Now with better forecasting and the Internet, I haven't hit awful weather like marmot man for 9 years NehNeh
snow conditions
dogwatch wrote:
I live in southern England, have been hoping to make a foray north for the last couple of years and am yet to do it.

An easily digestible forecast covering snow and weather conditions for all the resorts 3-4 days ahead would be helpful as that's amount of time I need to start telling people I'm taking time off. I know that information exists but not (AFAIK) in one place or interpreted for skiing. Forecasts for southern England are now pretty reliable 3-4 days ahead, whether the same is true of the Highlands I don't really know.

Unless you drive (I won't) or rent a car, travel arrangements aren't easy to understand. People here have been helpful in explaining possibilities and that's great but it isn't "marketing".

Merchandising, no thanks. I've never wanted to be a walking bill-board for someone else's product. That's just me.

Sorry not read the whole thread but have you looked at MWIS or WinterHighland? MWIS for forecasts and WH foot webcams to check conditions
snow report
Yes the weather can be a challenge, wind and/or low viz being the big ones. Crowding at weekends eases off a lot after Feb half term though, so worth keeping an eye on weather windows right up to the end of the season. I've skied good weekend days at Glencoe and Nevis Range in March & April in recent years which were almost dead, so plenty unused capacity there. Snow depths on the mid-upper runs at Glencoe, Nevis and Cairngorm often reach their peak late season too.

Glencoe advertised it's closing weekend well had a good turnout for the Saturday we went up. A little video from 30/4/16, myself and geeo doing the turns...
Glencoe April 2016
ski holidays
@what...snow, Thank you for taking the time to give such a comprehensive reply. I really appreciate it.
snow report
@balernoStu, is that you in the blue jacket and black trousers? We were there on 30/4 too and I'm sure I saw that person. Awesome day. Got my first experience of the infamous flypaper. More 'exciting' than any marked run I've skied in the alps so far for sure!
ski holidays
@Langers Utd, no problem, any other questions feel free to ask. I'm always keen to encourage people to come and visit but don't want to send you somewhere you aren't going to enjoy. A couple of benefits not mentioned are:

the rubbish lifts mean that the pistes are much quieter, something that is really noticeable on home runs even in quiet periods. No carnage on the run home, rarely even noticeable queues for downloading where required.

Low sun and mostly north facing slopes mean the spring corn lasts much longer.
latest report
lynseyf wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
I live in southern England, have been hoping to make a foray north for the last couple of years and am yet to do it.

An easily digestible forecast covering snow and weather conditions for all the resorts 3-4 days ahead would be helpful as that's amount of time I need to start telling people I'm taking time off. I know that information exists but not (AFAIK) in one place or interpreted for skiing. Forecasts for southern England are now pretty reliable 3-4 days ahead, whether the same is true of the Highlands I don't really know.

Unless you drive (I won't) or rent a car, travel arrangements aren't easy to understand. People here have been helpful in explaining possibilities and that's great but it isn't "marketing".

Merchandising, no thanks. I've never wanted to be a walking bill-board for someone else's product. That's just me.

Sorry not read the whole thread but have you looked at MWIS or WinterHighland? MWIS for forecasts and WH foot webcams to check conditions

What I need to know is the weather 3-4 days ahead so webcams would do me no good at at all. Thanks for the pointer to MWIS, however it seems pretty sparse after the next 24 hours. Maybe that's just what forecasting in mountains is like. Forecasts in the Alps are pretty worthless more than a couple of days ahead, forecasts for southern England are generally good now 3-4 days ahead.
ski holidays
@dogwatch, I do lots k at the forecasts all week but I don't get too excited and actually start organising things until at least Thursday. Seen the isobars suddenly tighten and wind speeds increase too often as the shape of a depression changes slightly. A decent bit of northern blocking and a solid high pressure zone and the reliable time increases
snow conditions
swiftoid wrote:
@balernoStu, is that you in the blue jacket and black trousers? We were there on 30/4 too and I'm sure I saw that person. Awesome day. Got my first experience of the infamous flypaper. More 'exciting' than any marked run I've skied in the alps so far for sure!

Yes, and geeo in red trousers, who kindly offered to take the camera after I mentioned having no footage of myself skiing, all of others.

Great day indeed, and yes the fly is pretty steep!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy