Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowshepherd Leather Ski/Work Gloves (any reviews?)

Poster: A snowHead
Snowshepherd started selling their own version of the classic "Chamonix bin men's gloves" sometime last season I think and I'm wondering if any Snowheads have any feedback on them?
I'm hovering over the "purchase" button with intent!! **Product Page**

Plenty of reference to them in broader topics:
*Whats the name of those Tan Yellow Ski Work Gloves
*Recommendation for quality leather ski gloves

(Hestra gloves are a little outside my budget comfort zone)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm happy with mine. I carry them as backups for my Hestras, and wear them when going out at night. Warm and comfortable (just look hideous Toofy Grin ).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@letsgetpiste, Ive only heard good things, that said I'm not a fan of the colour, but they do the black/dark ones too Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PaulC1984, @musher, I don't think anyone is 100% a fan of the colour... or the look... and I think that's the charm!!! Toofy Grin (they do a black & yellow combo too!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find they can get a bit waterlogged if I'm teaching beginners and so spending a lot of time with my hands in the snow helping them with skis etc. but other than that are very good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
at the price I would be more inclined to http://eur.flylowgear.com/upslope-glove-13.html - leather, w/proof membrane, US brand known for solid construction, sensible colour, 45€.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Similar gloves sold in all good French DIY/hardware stores for much less Euro.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
letsgetpiste, Before you purchase I hope you have read learnt and thoroughly digested the snowHeads thread on the all important classic 'Glove Technique".
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32488

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 31-10-16 18:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Although not the same type of glove, these are leather, and kept me dry and warm last season when others were in all sorts of bother with their hands. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/free-800-adult-ski-gloves-id_8371101.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boredsurfin, Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Cool snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boredsurfin, Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got a pair of the Black Sheep, a freebie as I named them Very Happy
I used them on my spring trip in April, very nice but as I get cold hands I use something warmer in January on the cold days.

I aslo find them a bit stiffer than the older style gloves

They will need waterproofing, as do all leather gloves
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@letsgetpiste, Got the black ones last season. Used them for three weeks. Excellent gloves, plenty warm enough, waterproof as long as you keep them treated. Seem to be hard wearing, and are comfortable. Taking them this year to work a whole season and have every expectation they will last the season with no trouble. They are not fancy stylish gloves, but do their job well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have the older version as a back up pair. Very warm and durable, not very stylish, no good if it's raining
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Guys, thanks for the mention on the gloves, thought a bit of history maybe helpful:

Up till 2 years ago, Ventiex were the go to French worker glove, they were made in China from pretty much full hide leather, super tough and very cheap in the bricolage but the quality was rubbish really as every pair was different! and the sizes were all over the place, I sold loads but also ended up with a huge box full every season that I could not sell!!!

Then Venitex went and change the supplier and really went down hill, not very good leather at all and the insulation went down as well. So I looked at making a new version based on the original but with some improvements. full hide leather again but same batch so all consistent, a full Hypora waterproof breathable membrane and a choice of colours and reinforcing to the palm area for rope work, plus small sizes, this season we are going down to XXX Small

So far so good, even sold back to some ski resorts as worker gloves and mountain rescue teams in Scotland.

On the leather then as with all leather it needs treating to keep the water and snow at bay, we supply Nikwax with every pair now, but it needs topped up.

If you wear them out in a season under normal use then we will replace free of charge.

As a little thankyou to Snowheads if you put your Snowhead name in the order comments section on my gloves order page then I will send a free 60ml of nikwax leather waterproofing cream, got to have a limit on this sorry guys, so lets say the next 24 pairs Toofy Grin
latest report
Thanks for the orders, ouch better get some extra Nikwax into stock Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@livetoski, been mad busy at work... still withing the 24?? Puzzled (I'll get them ordered tonight!)
ski holidays
@letsgetpiste, yep no problems I just found some more Nikwax Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Another happy user here - 45 days skiing with them last year, consistently warm dry and comfortable. Also once broken in they are really quite flexible, clips, zips etc can all be handled without taking them off.
snow conditions
@livetoski, send them to me immediately!!! snowHead
ski holidays
Hi livetoski - please could you tell me what the difference is between the "Black sheep leather ski work gloves" and the "leather ski guide pro gloves"
thanks!
latest report
@andymb, black sheep are black version of French lifty glove and the Ski Guide Pro is a black version of the Kinco 901 pics below

Hope that helps
snow conditions
so...which are going to keep my hands the toastiest?
kinco 901?.... Black sheep?.... or Ski Guide pro?
cheers, andy
ski holidays
901 Mitts or the snowshepard looklikey which might benefit from the extra inserts.
snow report
Had some new last year - 100% better than my North Face Montana's I've been wearing the last couple of seasons. Cannot recommend highly enough.

And for what it's worth - I love the colour...
ski holidays
I have the 901 mitts as well as the 'normal' snow shepherd yellow gloves. The mitts are warmer on a standalone basis BUT they are stiffer and impossible to manipulate clips etc with them on. As a consequence, in use I don't think they're any warmer as you end up pulling them off quite frequently to deal with clips, zips etc.

The mitts also seem to wet out much more.
ski holidays
Which is why if Tim's word holds true his version is better - waterproofing membrane and softer leather.
ski holidays
Mine have arrived! I'll wax them up later and spend the next few days wearing them around the house looking like a serial killer... Toofy Grin
The quality looks and feels great. The comms from Tim/Snow Shepherd regarding my order progress was spot on as well!
The large size feels fractionally too small for my hands but I'm fairly confident after trying them on that the leather will stretch a little. Another size up would be far too big! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Arrived today!
ski holidays
@letsgetpiste,
You'll not regret it. Mine have been great, especially the pair I left on a Cham bus - grrrr! Now have wrist straps on the new pair toddler-like.
Serial Killer, eh? Maybe Tim should make that their name?
snow report
Been using the Black Shepherd for a month now in all temps - well down to -25C - and weather. Brilliant and the Hipora membrane really helps the moisture leave very quickly, so nice dry warm hands all day. Thank you Tim for a super bit of kit.
snow report
I'd like to mirror what @colinstone, has just said. They have been an absolutely wonderful addition to my gear. Never once a chilly or moist hand! Great work Tim!!
latest report
Another positive vote from me. Had a pair of the yellow ones and got the black ones when Tim introduced them last year and they've done 4 weeks so far. Broken in beautifully and proved themselves down to -15C - anything colder and a pair of thin liners keeps them toasty. And so easy to slip on and off (no Velcro straps or tight elastic). I no longer pack my expensive, branded gloves 'just in case'. Fantastic value.
ski holidays
Have been using the black ones all season so far, after a few weeks use last year. The lining has packed down a bit, but otherwise completely waterproof and showing no signs of wear. I did find however here in Austria during the very cold spell (-15 typically) my hands did get cold in them, so for the coldest days I reverted to a very pair of old Phoenix gloves. Apart from that my only comment is tht could do with a sturdy attachment inside the cuff for wrist loops.
ski holidays
Are these gloves washable (perhaps at low temps) , bearing in mind they are leather
snow report
@dublin2, not really you will ruin the leather to be honest, always think they look better with a bit of ageing !

@RobinS, yep we are looking to add wrist loops for 2018 plus another mitten to the range

The new versions of the yellow, black and the mixed colour yellow and black now have extra reinforcing to the palm and thumb area !

Plus many thanks for all the nice comments, it was a huge risk making our own gloves

PS you did not hear it from me, but there is a 24hr coupon code running on my gloves for 15% off, code is "gloves" only works on my gloves though Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
+1 for wrist loops, that's my only negative having had them for a while now (other than the look perhaps !)
snow report
@livetoski, I just bought some for a friend last night and today you tell me about a 24hr coupon code!
snow report
I had a pair of the old ones - they were great. I used them for a whole season of skiing every day, used leather protector regularly to keep them waterproof.

Problem? Not washable. They absolutely reeked by the end of the season, and had to be binned.

Prefer my Hestra Army Helis with their washable lining - they'll last longer.

Great gloves if you ski a couple of weeks a year, or do non-sweaty activity (manning a lift, for example). Not so good for sustained, regular activity, in my experience.
snow report
@Harry Flashman, did you try washing them? Would seem worth a try before binning them. If you did, what was the result?

After 30 or so days usage mine don't smell much, although one seam is starting to burst.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy