Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glove Retainers for Kids (and adults?)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We are off on our first family ski holiday this winter with two young kids. Someone has suggested that it might be worth buying glove retainers for the kids as they easily lose their gloves on chair lifts etc. I've seen some called Manbi Ski Glue which remind me of the piece of string parents used to put through coat sleeves years ago. They then clip on to the small clip on the gloves. They are only cheap. Are they a good idea? I'd hate them to lose their gloves and end up being freezing cold. We would then have to stop skiing and go shopping instead!

I've seen that there are some Hestra wrist straps too, but I don't think they will fit onto their gloves.

Maybe I should look for something similar for myself too Happy

Thanks.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 31-10-16 14:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just get a length of elastic, so a small loop on one end and sew the other end into the glove.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ansta1,

Thanks. I'll give it a go. Mind you, you haven't seen my sewing Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You might be able to buy gloves with wrist loops ready attached. I had some North Face gloves a few years ago that had them.

Or get these https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Manbi-Glove-Leash-sku36480201.asp
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@halfhand,

Thanks. They look perfect!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ilovegreece, As adults we use the sort of retainers referenced by @halfhand, but the grandchildren (aged 6 - 10) preferred the "string through the sleeves" style ( as per your Manbi Glove Glue), as it allowed them to remove coats to go to the loo without first having to take glove retainers off - and as the gloves stay attached through the coat they are less likely to get lost on loo stops / refreshment breaks etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RobinS, @RobinS,
Thanks. That's a very good point!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many of these hav build in glove retainers:

https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/junior/

"I've seen that there are some Hestra wrist straps too, but I don't think they will fit onto their gloves."

Don't worry - it works! Go to a shop and try it.

And for you:

https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine-pro/

Not all models have glove retainers.

Never worry kids (or adults) loose their glove(s).

Very Happy

The hole family uses them with retainers (all adult now). And we do not need to buy gloves anymore - they just last and are not lost! wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just made some by looping two security pass lanyards together that loads of places just hand out for events etc.

Definitely an essential for kids (and many adults come to think of it). Not many things worse than a lost glove or a soaking wet one that inevitably gets dropped on the biggest puddle around.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ilovegreece, Also you can try camera loop cables they are really cheap and do the job seen them used lots of times. Only a couple of pounds on ebay
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The strings suit my 7 and 5 year olds best. The problem with the wrist loops are that as soon as they take the gloves off for lunch etc they get lost.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@livetoski,

Thanks! What a great idea. Five pairs for 99p including free delivery on Ebay ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-pcs-Adjustable-LANYARD-HAND-WRIST-STRAP-FOR-CAMERA-PHONE-MP3-MP4-Cam-U-disk/391588079852?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D035f423967bf4446b6ba5845c599b80c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D332013983492
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oddly, the Hestra gloves I used to see had them built in... then in Japan at a shoppe with some impossible to resist Hestras they had the wrist straps as separate items - and they came in 'small' for kids etc and regular.

Whichever or whatever you use, it seems odd NOT to have some kind of leash on the bulky outer glove - whenever you need to take a glove off for a look at a piste map etc usually on a lift, no worries about dropping a glove or where to put them... or while you wrestle with a boot clip or whatnot...

a search for "Hestra Handcuffs" seems to turn them up on Amazon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought the Hestra Handcuffs for my sons Leki race gloves. There were loops on the gloves so it was a simple case of threading the elastic on the handcuff through the loop and bringing it back through on itself.

I got them from here - http://www.theski-shop.co.uk/3165/products/hestra-junior-glove-retainers-hand-cuffs-age-8-12-.aspx
snow report
coops1967 wrote:

Whichever or whatever you use, it seems odd NOT to have some kind of leash on the bulky outer glove - whenever you need to take a glove off for a look at a piste map etc usually on a lift, no worries about dropping a glove or where to put them... or while you wrestle with a boot clip or whatnot...

I found an excellent solution to this problem in the 10 Peaks C-Zip gloves. I think they are superb. They are warm and waterproof and being able to get your hand out quickly and easily is just what you need.

http://youtube.com/v/lSHPpY_A71Y
snow conditions
Thanks everyone.

On this occasion, because we all already have gloves, I will use separate leashes. However, when we come to replace them I will definitely look at buying ones with built-in leashes (or similar).
snow report
Manbi Glove Glue leashes work really well . . .my kids didn't even moan about them on the inside of jackets etc! Gloves will need to have a clip/loop to accept though . . .

My kids no longer use - I have 3x pairs for sale if you want them - PM me . . .cheers
ski holidays
@Belch,

Thanks. I've actually ordered a pack of ten camera wrist straps now (see my earlier message). Thanks for the thought though.
snow report
@ilovegreece, . . .

That's actually a great idea . . .they can/still/will lose gloves no matter how old! Apols didn't scroll up to earlier post . . .
snow report
@Belch,

Thank you. Our children are quite tall, and the Glove Glue leashes didn't seem they would be long enough for them. Therefore, the camera wrist straps seemed a very cheap and simple option for all of us to use.
snow conditions
I have them 'built in' to my own gloves . . .great for picking ones nose / digging for stuff in the backpack on the chairlift without fear of losing gloves . . . Very Happy
snow conditions
@Belch,

Happy
ski holidays
Just a note about the glove wrist straps. I use them all the time. you can quickly slip a glove off and leave them dangling from your wrist - dead easy to carry.

But be careful having a wee - you might jsut end up pissing in your own glove.

I suspect this does not apply to females
latest report
. . keeps them warm though . . .
latest report
johnE wrote:
Just a note about the glove wrist straps. ... But be careful having a wee - you might just end up pissing in your own glove.

Precisely this. If mitts don't come with new leashes I just use the ones from the last pair.

Most jackets come with connectors these days, although personally I prefer a loop of cord around my wrist. Jacket fasteners seem too fiddly. I sort of thought everyone would use these as otherwise if you take your gloves off on a lift for example you would risk dropping them. The leashes need to be long enough so you can tuck the mitts under your armpits when taking a leak.

There have been various designs of gloves which split, but to me they're complex and prone to failure. With a bit of cord you can easily use any gloves, any jacket.
snow report
I have to say had loops on my last pair of gloves and I found them as much of a hindrance/hassle as useful. If I ever took my gloves off on a chairlift they'd either get in the way of what I wanted to do or I wouldn't trust the hand loops and still end up holding the glove.

We've never had any for our kids that I can remember and it's not been an issue.
snow report
johnE wrote:
But be careful having a wee - you might jsut end up pissing in your own glove. I suspect this does not apply to females

Oh yeah? Shocked You trying removing all those layers in a tiny cubicle with nowhere to put everything except a wet floor... (adn the lightbulb's probably on a timer too, at best)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Being an avid on-piste fiddler and faffer, I sew wrist loops into all my gloves if they don't come with them. I'm with one of the early posters though: quick loop of elastic (or climbing cord or anything else going) and 5 mins of hand sewing. Not exactly difficult.

If problems with not trusting them around wrist, a quick small cheap carabiner through the loops and onto any convenient rucksac strap, waistband, pocket, pole loop, jaket zip fastener, other half... Prevents the above-mentioned (last post) issue too Blush
ski holidays
Ha ha.

They are mainly for the chair lift. Hopefully the kids won't be thinking of having a wee whilst they are sat on it Happy
latest report
no but as already mentioned they will pick their noses . . .(mine do and they are incredibly well bought up . . . Very Happy )
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy