Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro hero 5 vs. Garmin Virb Ultra 30

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks, useful info.

I'm kinda seesawing on this one a bit, it's good to know all this stuff before getting all spendy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dklemm, got a link to the batteries at Argos? I can't find it anywhere.

Or does anyone have a recommended 3rd party battery and dual charger??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kitenski, http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5997132
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RichClark, thanks!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
The latest GoPro firmware for the 5 Black stops 3rd party batteries from working, apparently. Not sure if there is, or will be, a workaround for that, but for the time being stick with OEM batteries.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski wrote:
The latest GoPro firmware for the 5 Black stops 3rd party batteries from working, apparently. Not sure if there is, or will be, a workaround for that, but for the time being stick with OEM batteries.

There are 2 reasons for them doing this.

1. So they can ensure that they get all the money.
2. OEM batteries havea bespoke overheating circuit that 6rd party batteries don't, they were getting stung with cameras overheating and having to be replaced under warranty. The 5 can run pretty hot so they are keen to minimise any issues.

NB I've run plenty of aftermarket batteries in the 3/4's without issues, haven't tried any in the 5 yet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ansta1, I have a mix of GoPro and Wasabi batteries for my 4 Black. Was pleased that the Wasabi batteries continued to work when I updated the firmware in the 4. I had a quick look at prices for the GoPro batteries and they seemed a bit more reasonably priced than I remember them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would buy the Virb Ultra again, definitely, but then I expect I would say the same if I had bought a Hero 5 Black. Any camera in this class is pretty damn good.

I haven't really bothered with voice control when skiing as Garmin point out that leaving it in voice ready mode uses some battery. I just switch the big toggle switch on the top to turn on and start recording. This is easy to do, even with my big Hestra mitts on. I've used voice control on my bike and it works fine, but the reassurance of having toggled a big switch is nicer, especially if you can't clearly see the camera.

Regarding battery life, I have 3 batteries and have been able to record what I want and play back at lunch/in the evening, on one battery. Only once have I needed to do a battery swap at lunch.

I haven't used the live streaming option, but it sounds good and I might use it for work... just not for skiing. It would need a good phone connection. The whole connectivity of the Garmin is superb and may be it's USP. The connection to an iPhone is seamless, the download from the camera is fast in full quality and takes just a few seconds in 'mobile mode'. The iPhone app works so well that I'm planning on sticking a mount on the back of my GF's helmet and then turning the camera on and off from my phone, when I want some footage of me Very Happy

I have the telemetrics set up to show speed just and altitude at the moment. After comments that I am always breathing deeply when off piste (Shocked), I am tempted to wear my HR monitor and record just what my HR is, when doing various runs.

I've got a brand new 4K tv in Val and the picture quality of the Virb is superb. As above, I'm generally filming in 1080 60fps. This gives silky smooth slo-mo and incredible detail in all footage. 4K is undoubtedly better but the files sizes are scary. I'm running a 128gb card and suspect it would fill quite quickly. If I were mountain biking in forests, I think 4K would be well worth using.

If I had one criticism, it is that the Garmin's waterproof cases (one is for diving and 40m waterproof, the other has an atmo pressure hole and is rain/snow proof) don't have anywhere to attach a lanyard. Or at least not that I have found.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Wow thanks for the warning, got a 2nd battery/dual battery charger off amazon for £44
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bar shaker, thanks for your detailed account. As @jjams82 said, I'm seesawing at the moment, so it's precious to have every little morsel of info that I can get, before making a decision.
It's encouraging to see that everybody would be happy to go with their original choice again - means there really isn't a "wrong" choice to make here.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

One down side to this is, it takes some time to get a GPS fix so you miss the start of the GPS data recording.

This is on the fix list for the next firmware.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowglider, Reading the reviews, the Garmin's advantage is it's connectivity to sensors and devices. The GoPro's advantage is it doesn't need a waterproof case unless diving.

If you only use it for skiing, the GoPro probably has the edge. If you cycle, fly or do track days, the Garmin has the edge, I think.

Oh, if you aren't a post production wizard, the Garmin edit software is very, very nice too. You may be able to use that with a Go Pro though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've overlaid my garmin sensor data ( power, speed, cadence etc ) on some go pro footage. Think it was virb edit software. Dead easy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go pro strapped to TT bike. 2 up practice !
http://youtube.com/v/Mcsax0Ezf7k
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@endoman, I've done the same, surprised how easy it was! You need a power meter to make your vid more interesting though Wink
snow report
I have 3 power meters. For some reason the video didn't want to pick it up. Would have made it better as you say. About 80 watts less when drafting !
snow conditions
@endoman, if the garmin picked it up then Virb edit should do??

Here's a crap video I did on a local hill to test the concept out! Edge 1000 doing the data capture.

http://youtube.com/v/aLP0MdqPu7M
ski holidays
I think it was down to the dials I chose. We got the info we needed. Shame I fell off in the actual race ! I saw it on another vid I made but never stuck it on you tube. Hill climbs produce some me great ones. There's one from this years national which is excellent.
ski holidays
@bar shaker, my activities are a mixed bag: I ski, ride a motorbike and scuba dive (that's why Hero's waterproofness doesn't matter to me - I'll have to get a proper waterproof case anyway). The only thing is that Hero's case is good for 60m, and Garmin's for 40, so points to Hero here, but it's not a deciding factor - I'm sure that afetmarket guys will soon come up with a 60m case for Garmin also.

Garmin would be lovely to have for track days, but it could potentially be an awkward witness on the road Embarassed Shocked

Not only am I not handy with editing software - I know absolutely nothing about editing videos! So again, Garmin would be good to have...

And thus I see-saw in circles... Laughing

endoman, that picture quality is great! Watching your video, I was trying to swerve around some obstacles in a few places! Laughing
The camera's dynamic range also appers to be very good.
snow report
snowglider wrote:
Not only am I not handy with editing software - I know absolutely nothing about editing videos! So again, Garmin would be good to have...
GoPro have the free Quik & GoPro Studio applications which are easy to use and allows you to do some nice effects, such as ramped slo-mo, adding gauges for the GPS overlay, as well as straight edits and adding a bit of background music.
latest report
RichClark wrote:
@ansta1, do you have any sample clips on YouTube/Vimeo? Also, did you use a standard mount?

Cheers

this short gives you an idea. The first 2 parts are on juniors ski, mounted facing forward, the 3rd part is facing up. You can see there are some problems with snow/water on the housing, but this can be improved (though not elimiated) by a quick coat of rain-x.

All video is direct from camera with no enhancement or post processing stabilisation.

http://youtube.com/v/gdze6IZTFZQ
ski holidays
@ansta1, cheers, how did you mount that, was a standard flat mount out did you use something else?
ski holidays
All standard flat mounts, just make sure the mount is stuck on and allowed to cure properly and don't forget to use the mount retaining tab (that little white thing that lots of people don't know what its for). Very Happy
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
All standard flat mounts, just make sure the mount is stuck on and allowed to cure properly and don't forget to use the mount retaining tab (that little white thing that lots of people don't know what its for). Very Happy
Do you use a safety tether, just on case?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
Do you use a safety tether, just on case?

Not always...
snow report
snowglider wrote:
@bar shaker, my activities are a mixed bag: I ski, ride a motorbike and scuba dive (that's why Hero's waterproofness doesn't matter to me - I'll have to get a proper waterproof case anyway). The only thing is that Hero's case is good for 60m, and Garmin's for 40, so points to Hero here, but it's not a deciding factor - I'm sure that afetmarket guys will soon come up with a 60m case for Garmin also.

Garmin would be lovely to have for track days, but it could potentially be an awkward witness on the road Embarassed Shocked

And thus I see-saw in circles... Laughing

endoman, that picture quality is great! Watching your video, I was trying to swerve around some obstacles in a few places! Laughing
The camera's dynamic range also appers to be very good.

Was my lads go pro, I don't know which model, about 2 or 3 years old probably.
snow report
I tried a few things skiing with a pole mount.

This first video was simply having the camera close to ski height, and I was quite pleased with the results. I think I just tried to hold it firm against my boots.

http://youtube.com/v/nOgluQ9hBS8

The second is carving and trying to have the pole extended out, also pleased with the results. Neither is very intersting to watch on it's own but could be useful to put together a montage.

http://youtube.com/v/YheiCxS4Uho
snow conditions
I can't understand why a skier who carries two poles around all day would also pack a shorter one for their gopro:D
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dklemm wrote:
Unfortunately the 5 has a new battery design so means buying new batteries and dual charger(optional). The new batteries are larger capacity and also USB-C, if you use a proper USB-C>USB-C power adaptor charging is much faster.

You can't access the charger port when its in the mount so can't keep it connected up like you say, but if you have a USB-C battery like Anker PowerCore+ 20100 you could charge the battery over lunch breaks etc.

Hero 5 batteries are currently £14.99 at Argos

thanks for the link. luckily 2 in stock at my local store and saved me £10 Very Happy
snow report
jjams82 wrote:
I can't understand why a skier who carries two poles around all day would also pack a shorter one for their gopro:D

Just in case your being serious I found the pole attachment a pita screwed to the end of my ski poles and also very unwieldy!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
jjams82 wrote:

Just in case your being serious I found the pole attachment a pita screwed to the end of my ski poles and also very unwieldy!

Only half serious:D
snow report
@jjams82, 😂
snow report
Thanks, @rob@rar, nice to know that. I'm so clueless though, I didn't even understand the term *ramped* slo-mo Very Happy
Btw the discount on GoPro has been reduced, now the best deal is £350 (as opposed to £300).

I really like the camera angle in the first video,@kitenski! Came out great (at least to me) Smile
snow report
I used my Go Pro 5 as a car dash cam for a test run at 1080p. Worked really well.

Decided to buy an extra 64GB memory card to go with the 128GB I have. I also got the Dual charger and extra battery pack. The only thing that gets me is how hot this Camera can get and that the battery drains whilst in standby, I've now taken to removing the battery from it when I'm not using it.

On the first clear skiing day next week, I will use it, I'm really looking forward to it.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
...Just in case your being serious I found the pole attachment a pita screwed to the end of my ski poles and also very unwieldy!
(sic)
I'd rig it differently. Even so, unless you're in deep snow then ski poles aren't long enough - you end up cutting off the head or the skis. You need about 1.5m.
latest report
Found this footage of the new forthcoming Yi 4k+ (that's what it'll be called). Apparently, the official RRP has been set at $300.

http://youtube.com/v/yVxf2M2TawU
ski holidays
@snowglider, the thing is that my cousin is in post production and she can make an iPhone camera look like that.

Companies try and tout high res cameras by showing off really nice looking images. The images don't look nice because of the resolution, they look nice because of the quality of the image.

Not criticising you, just the way this stuff gets marketed
ski holidays
dp wrote:
@snowglider, the thing is that my cousin is in post production and she can make an iPhone camera look like that.

Companies try and tout high res cameras by showing off really nice looking images. The images don't look nice because of the resolution, they look nice because of the quality of the image.

Not criticising you, just the way this stuff gets marketed

dp wrote:

If you want to go in cheap, buy a GoPro 3+. Will still shoot in HD. I run mine in SD anyway to conserve battery. 3+ does everything I want it to so I've never considered changing it.

dp, funny then that you decided to buy a GoPro, instead of just using your smart phone? Laughing
ski holidays
@snowglider, if you can wait then try and see what independent 3rd parties make of it.
ski holidays
@kitenski, my thoughts exactly. Am minded to wait, since I'm not in a hurry to get it before the EoSB really.
Was ready to purchase & was going to pull the trigger since there are some great deals around, but this has potential to be a really good camera at a great price.

Kinda wish that Garmin & GoPro would hurry and & roll out their equivalent versions on the market within the next couple of months (I know - fat chance of that Sad )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy