Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Prizm Rose vs Prizm Hi-Pink

Poster: A snowHead
@rogg, I haven't seen the black but can confirm all the others are pink. Pink pink. But your brain sorts it out in about 30 seconds.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll see if I can take a piccie for you later.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rogg wrote:
Can anyone tell me what colour the prism lenses appear (when views from inside) - I'm looking at Hi Rose for low light and Prism Jade for more light. I tend to like amber/brown tones, but the Hi pink I assume is pink and the Jade a grey/pink from looking at promo info.

Anyone confirm what colour they turn your view?

They all have the same base lens, so they all have a pinky hue, the extent to which depends on their VLT....its like, as the VLT drops, the brightness of the Rose colour is dialed down, but is still obvious.

I found, the brain quickly adjusts for the effect, even on the Prizm Rose.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 8-05-17 9:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok, thanks. Pretty much what I thought.

A piccie would be great Mr Sideways.

I had a pair of graded mirrored pink sunnies in the 80s and seem to remember lying around on the beach thinking they were particularly enjoyable, so it'll be quite nostalgic.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jade, counterintuitively is a pink hue, but you quickly adjust and its just normal.

I have Oakley Flightdecks with Jade and Rose prizm lenses. I prefer the Jade both from a look and a wear perspective. Rose comes out on those dull days......that said I used them in full sun and they were ok - not as great as the Jade obviously, but fine.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought all the main Prizm lenses were the same ultimately - just the coulour of the mirror was different. Hi Pink defintively seems to be a noticeable improvement in grey-flat light, based on the totally unscientific out the appt window test.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, still a lot more scientific that a look at a picture online test though...... snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the Prizm Jade and Rose lenses and also have the hi-yellow for the Canopy goggles. Maybe I should have bought the hi-pink lens but when wearing a-frames, the hi-yellow was the lens I'd always go for on the darker poor vis. days as it brightens everything up quite nicely.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okay...
The Line-up: Jade Prizm, Hi Yellow and Rose Prizm...

Jade Prizm

Hi Yellow

Rose Prizm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ooh the jade prism hides the shoddy roof work on the neighbour's place best - we should change our glazing.

Apologies for thread derail Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lucky I didn't take the photo of their exposed pipework or we'd lose this thread completely...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richard_Sideways, ah, same goggles and lenses as me - great minds and all that!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kelskii, I was very happy with the hi-yellow, but unfortunately I broke the blasted thing when it was in my pocket and I *might* have accidentally stacked it coming off the lift avoiding some berk who had stopped to take a selfie...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Richard_Sideways.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have owned the rose Prizm lens for the last couple of years and I find it to be excellent in most conditions. However, I'm always on the lookout for something that will help with flat light and fog. Unfortunately, anything with a yellow tint makes me dizzy in those conditions, so I bought the prizm hi-pink this winter thinking the increased VLT over the rose would be perfect. It's not bad, but it actually has a yellower tint than the rose, especially at the periphery of the lens. It's obviously not nearly as yellow as the hi-yellow, but nor is it anywhere near as pink as the rose. I found it gives me fewer problems than a true yellow lens in fog and flat light, but it's not perfect. However, for lower light conditions which aren't completely flat or foggy, they're excellent for me. Definitely much lighter than the prizm rose. Incidentally, I have found the Alpina high contrast quattroflex lens to work best for me in flat light, even though it is cat 2 (as opposed to the varioflex lens which is listed as cat 1-3, but not quite as good in flat as opposed to just low light conditions). If only one of the many different Alpina goggles would fit my face properly...
snow report
One thing I don't get about the above comments is...

If HI Yellow transmit 78% and Rose Prizm transmit 20%, how are these going to be any good on a day when the available light is already down to 10% of a sunny day?

I'm still loving my Crowbars in Fire Iridium and HI Yellow but have been thinking about changing to the Flightdeck format goggles. They are around £100 a pair on Amazon right now.
snow conditions
This is a subject of much debate here and elsewhere. For me personally, eye comfort, contrast, and not feeling dizzy, or having weird little flashing white lights all over my field of vision are all just as important as lightness in most conditions. Obviously, if it's very dark, neither the rose prizm nor the hi-pink are ideal. Clear is best, but not for me in flat light or fog where I'm looking for maximum contrast. Very flat light is hopeless whatever I'm wearing, but if there is any contrast to be had at all, I like lenses that accentuate it. Yellow is obviously excellent for this, but I just can't use it.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, your photos are very interesting. The HI Yellow definitely lifts the contrast of the white mortar against the darker bricks, which is a similar effect to the contrast of surface changes that we all look for.

After having mine on, things look darker when I take them off and just see with normal light.

@Turnoisier, That must be a real pain. My brain adjusts the colour correction very quickly when I'm wearing goggles (things don't look goggle tint coloured with 60 seconds). Do you not acclimatise?
snow report
It is really annoying, but not that uncommon, I think. I've tried various highly recommended yellow tinted lenses, precisely because of their contrast enhancing reputations - including the Smith blue sensor mirror, a couple from Dragon and, obviously, the Oakley Hi-Yellow. I've tried to acclimatise, both 'in action' and just sitting down staring at the snow, but it doesn't work. Rose and Orange tints don't give me any problems at all.
snow conditions
I just replaced a hi yellow oakley lens that was scratched & scoured after a 360 face plant, with a prizm rose.. at first I thought it too pink.. too dark for low light .. being darker Razz than the yellow. But it seemed to change with the light & soon realised it's potential . GreAt lens. Works in all conditions fairly well .. & wish I'd changed it before . The hi yellow gets glarey in sun light whereas the prizm rose adapts a lot more & definition is deeper . I havnt tried the prizm hi pink. But I had a pair of Oakley pink iridium which wasn't prizm & I swear it was like being on acid , when I tried them in snowing & a terrible whiteout . All I could see was the shimmering sparkle off the falling snowflakes !! & dark moving shadows !! makes me wonder if the prizm hi pink although look nice NehNeh might be worse than the prizm rose, which are really good.
snow report
gforcerecords wrote:
I swear it was like being on acid

What's it like being on acid? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Lost.. unreal... can't make out anything solid.. everything's moving but still at the same time . Speed loses its concept as there's nothing to determine it by.. white with shimmer n glimmer .. fear and calm.. silence and internal turmoil.. altogether freaky!!! I guess it's something like skiing in a whiteout whilst wearing pink iridium lens!!!Wink)
latest report
I finally have my Oakley flight deck XMs with prizm rose lenses, so I can see what the fuss is about. They're astounding.

I could see everything in flat/cloudy/snowy light. Happy days. Takes a little while for the eyes to adjust, but they are a world away from the yellow lenses I used in low light before that which just dazzled me.
snow report
Bit of a guess here.

I imagine they are partial bandwidth coatings. So instead ofnth full spectrum with a neutral density filter, they are chopping out a section of the spectrum.

So instead of the same transition you have in normal conditions (but dimmer) because they chop a bit of the spectrum put they will introduce contrast.

Is that correct?
ski holidays
Correct
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy