Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed with helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My self and my girlfriend are not dare devil skiers, but do wear helmets when mountain biking, so are coming round to the idea of wearing one for skiing. Been looking around on the web, but due to silly luggage limits, we are thinking of buying in resort (Val thorens) just asking,

1. will I get as much choice
2. will it be the same price
3. where should I go
4. any recommendations, for either myself or my girlfriend
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a Hammer H1. they are fantastic but every helmet out there seems to be a different fit so you need to try on as many as possible. As for baggage allowance, I strapped mine on the outside of my ruck sack and took it on as carry on so didn't have a problem.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. will I get as much choice
Depends when you go. I was in Arc 1800 last week and found *far* more choice than I did in Bourg St Maurice last april. Shops tend to order in at the start of the season and as time progresses they may run out of certain popular models / sizes. For instance, my local Decathlon in stockport has sp;d out of most of its helemts apart from the most basic models and is not going to get any more. If you;re going soon you should have a good choice though

2. will it be the same price
Yes, more or less.

3. where should I go
As many shops as you can - although you can probalby just go to one branch eash of the chains, but different shops tend to carry different brands (see next answer)

4. any recommendations, for either myself or my girlfriend
Try on as many helmets as you can. Personal fit and comfort is key, remember you're going to be wearinf it all day. For instance, I really didn't like the feel of "red" or "salomon" helmets, but did like "Giro" - that was last season, and I was looking to gfet another Giro. THis season, having more choice, I really liked the Uvex helmets I tried but actually ended up with a K2 - and prior to trying it, didn;t even realise they made helmets!

If you wear goggles, take them with you to make sure they fit - or be prepared to buy new goggles to fit the helmet you buy. The fit of the helmet is more imprtant than goggles, you can always sell the ones you have if need be. LIkewise if you wear glasses take them with you to make sure the helmet doesn;t make them uncomfortable - this is more of a personal thing

I brought mine home strapped on the outside of my rucksack, but it's got a bit scratched so next trip it will be packed away

Hope that helps
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Giro 9.9 suits me, but fit is very important. They're very light, in general, so if you chuck out a pair of Y fronts you should be able to take them in your luggage alowance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh, and take alook at

http://www.skihelmets.com/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the help
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a Dainese helmet which is pretty good and light. The only thing is that with the ear protectors on my ears can get a bit sore. So I only have these on if it is properly cold. Also as nbt said take your goggles to check compatibility. Different brands have different ways of holding the goggles on, my Dainese seem to work well and you can put your goggles on to the top of the helmet without them slipping off the back ( as some of my freinds helmets do ).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy