Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Prizm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just wondered what everybody's thoughts were on Oakley's Prizm system , is it worth the investment ? Has anybody got a pair and can give some feedback? im considering buying the OH a pair for Xmas so any info people can give would be grand....

Cheers

Matt
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dye, Hello Matt, you will find a number of existing threads on the Prizm

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2827620&highlight=prizm#2827620

You will need to make sure the goggle model you select fits as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dye wrote:
I just wondered what everybody's thoughts were on Oakley's Prizm system , is it worth the investment ? Has anybody got a pair and can give some feedback? im considering buying the OH a pair for Xmas so any info people can give would be grand....

Cheers

Matt

Love them, If I was starting again I would look at the Oakley Airbrake XL with the High Pink Prizm for lo-viz and the Sapphire Prizm for sunny/mixed. Airbrake makes switching easier than say Flight Deck.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dye, I bought them the first year they were out, 14/15 I think, at that time they were only available in the A frame and changing lenses was a faff and not something that would have been pleasant with cold hands on the mountain. As @mishmash says now that they are available with Airbrake that should be much easier.

Otherwise, tbh, they don't work as well as they are advertised to and IMHO maybe not worth the money.

I have used these and their forebears http://www.alpina-sports.com/snow-gear/goggles/challenge-20-qh-white/ for about 10 years now and finally bought a new pair in Austria last season after failed experiments with Oakleys fuelled by my consumer want. They work brilliantly in all weathers, are much cheaper and no spare lenses to worry about.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a fan....they aren't a revolution in lens technology, but imo give a subtle improvement in visibility and do have good versatility with regard to changing conditions.

My daughter had a hard time finding goggles that fitted her small head, but she did end up with some Flight Deck XM + Prizm Saphire....20% discount at Freeze Pro shop or Shade Station.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Id agree with the other posters and say there is a slight improvement nothing like how they advertise but they work ok for myself i have the jade lens and rose
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
capstone wrote:
Id agree with the other posters and say there is a slight improvement nothing like how they advertise but they work ok for myself i have the jade lens and rose

How well does the Jade Lens do in snowy conditions and flat light?.....is it better or worse than the Rose lens does in bright light? I suppose I'm asking which you would keep, if you could only have the one.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, the Jade, or Sapphire or Torch Prizm (they are all the same lense), is a pretty good all round lens. Not as good as the Black in bright light, or the Rose in poor light.

In Japan last season I found I could make the choice at the start of the day and pretty much stay with that choice. I alternated between the Sapphire and Rose.

@capstone, I agree the difference isn't massive, but it depends on what you had before. Moving from a top end Oakley, Smith, POC etc goggle, a slight improvement, but probably a much bigger step up from a more average lens. A lot of it depends your own eyesight, and how well you personally need to see to ski. I've been out in near whiteout conditions, and people have skied past likes it's a blue bird day, they diffinitely can't see, but it doesn't appear to bother them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PowderAdict wrote:
@Old Fartbag, the Jade, or Sapphire or Torch Prizm (they are all the same lense), is a pretty good all round lens. Not as good as the Black in bright light, or the Rose in poor light.

In Japan last season I found I could make the choice at the start of the day and pretty much stay with that choice. I alternated between the Sapphire and Rose.

Thank you Sir.

I'll ask you the same question....if you could only keep one, which would it be?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Old Fartbag, Between those two, the Rose, but personally I would then need a bright light lens for blue bird days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would say the jade as found the rose lens too bright on bluebird days but the jade ok apart from the very cloudy nearly whiteout days. Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
capstone wrote:
I would say the jade as found the rose lens too bright on bluebird days but the jade ok apart from the very cloudy nearly whiteout days. Hope that helps.

It does, thank you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The rose impressed me most at adding definition in flat light so I m going to try and get hold of a Hi Intensity Pink Prizm as well.

Once it becomes brighter, the Prizm effect is less noticeable unless you are transiting from shadow to sun at speed i.e. through forest etc
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PowderAdict wrote:
@Old Fartbag, the Jade, or Sapphire or Torch Prizm (they are all the same lense)

I thought so too, but the Prizm Torch seems to have a higher VLT (15%) compared to the others (11%)....confusing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've used Rose Prizm (women's model) for 2 seasons now. Better than the majority of variously-coloured goggles which I've ever used as regards low light, flat light, cloud etc (and I hate orange and yellow lenses), gives pretty good definition but by no means perfect and I guess that there's other just as good, and just as costly options. But they were worth the money.

Having said that, I ended up buying a pair of Smith goggles when in very very low light last year (a kind of blue-tinted mirror which is a very light yellow lens) and they are also brilliant - I swap between them and the Prizms now depending on what the light is like. But then again I have very light-sensitive eyes, so it's usually 2 or 3 pairs for me. The Smith are definitley for me too light as soon as there is light, the Prizms will actually cope with a fair bit of sun before I start squinting and seeing stars.

The Prizms in the women's model are however a blinking large goggle if you have a small face though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy