Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blizzard Black Pearl review

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone ridden these just looking for a bit of real world feedback before I take the plunge for daughter?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Google is your friend ....

http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/blizzard-black-pearl-2016

http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/blizzard-black-pearl.16192/

http://www.blizzard-ski.com/products/black-pearl/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is but not in this case as I wanted a few real reviews not just ones where companies are paid or get freebies to do them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You won't find a bad or even an average review of the Black Pearl as everyone loves them. Important to get the correct length though - how tall/heavy is she & ability level etc?

The Scott Luna/Reverse is also a very similar ski at less £.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
She's 5'2 about 100lbs, advanced aggressive skier on piste and pretty competent off piste. She races so her legs are strong. We want something for our trip to revelstoke in March.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From my wife who bought a pair lasat year to replace her salomon x-wings

I absolutely love my Black Pearls.
They were recommended to me by the guy in Skiset in Les Arcs, and at first I didn’t believe they are piste oriented freeride skis as they are wider than my X-Wings. I soon realised though, that I’d been stuck a few years in the past.
I tried 159 and 166 and both would have been fine, but I ended up with the 166, which is longer than my old skis, but with the twin rockers they behave like much shorter skis.
The edge grip was great on piste, even icy, and very confidence inspiring, while there was enough width to cope with powder and crud. At speed, I could see the rockered tips pattering up and down, but the skis felt totally stable. They are lighter than my old skis too. Because of the longer length they felt harder on moguls at first, but I soon got used to them. It was very hard to swap back to my Salomon skis as they behaved so differently. I’m 163cm, 73kg, advanced/expert skier, but anyone from intermediate and above would enjoy these skis in all terrains. They’ve had a lot of 5* reviews.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
100lbs ain't much at all so she'd be fine on the 159cm Black Pearl. Unfortunately the Scott Luna lengths/flex's don't really work for her stats.

The Black Pearl would be a great one ski quiver for her to take.

However, if she's taking her piste skis with her & wants a soft snow/powder/fun ski as well then I've got a pair of last seasons Whitedot Director trad 161's going for boogerall (ie a lot less than a Black Pearl) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My review is ohmygodyes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a pair, used them for a couple of holidays then sold them for a pair of more piste-orientated Rossi Temptation 80s. They're brilliant fun in soft snow, but not so great on hard, icy pistes. On hard terrain I was very distracted by the flappy tips, and always felt I was slightly holding back on them. I had them in a 166, and I'm 5'7. They were the right length for me (I demoed the 159s and they felt too short), but I much prefer my current skis for hard snow grip and stability. I'm also probably a bit heavy for the BPs.

They are indeed a very popular ski, but they really shine in softer snow. If she does a lot of off piste, I'm sure she'll love them.

The ski which all the Ski Divas are raving about this season is the Nordica Santa Ana - maybe have a look at those as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I took a pair out for a couple of hours last year in Val T and didn't get on with them at all. I'm clearly an anomaly as I'd read loads of good reviews beforehand and really looked forward to testing them, but it didn't work out at all. Everyone is different. You can find what I wrote at the time as well as what others thought in the Snowbase section, top left.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Me too. I can see why people like them, but it turned out they weren't the right ski for me, which was weird because I loved them both times I demoed them!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On a side note, has anyone skied the Volkl Yumi? (OH loves the Black Pearl but is looking at other options too so i said i'd do some research).

On paper it seems almost identical to the Black Pearl, but perhaps a bit less 'playful'?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a pair and I would say they are good enough skis as an all-rounder but nothing like the cult-like following they initially got and some raving reviews could suggest.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pynch wrote:
On a side note, has anyone skied the Volkl Yumi? (OH loves the Black Pearl but is looking at other options too so i said i'd do some research).

On paper it seems almost identical to the Black Pearl, but perhaps a bit less 'playful'?

Yep, I had them as a hire ski in Courchevel at Christmas 2014. Really liked them, thought they were good fun - but were terrifying on boilerplate, no grip at all. However, they were hire skis and pretty beaten up so I suspect they needed a tune. The ski shop weren't handing out good skis as the conditions were terrible. Volkls are normally known for good grip, although I think the Yumis are a relatively soft ski.

Similar to the Black Pearls I think, but without the tip flap.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pynch, I recently demoed the Nordica Santa Ana which I really liked but have never seen mentioned. I've tried the Yumi as well and wasn't particularly taken by them but it was a few years ago (also the very similar Kenja).
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@Pynch, I recently demoed the Nordica Santa Ana which I really liked but have never seen mentioned. I've tried the Yumi as well and wasn't particularly taken by them but it was a few years ago (also the very similar Kenja).

..apart from by me, 6 posts above Toofy Grin

HoneyBunny wrote:

The ski which all the Ski Divas are raving about this season is the Nordica Santa Ana - maybe have a look at those as well.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, oh yeah Laughing it's been a long day! Damn you n+1!
snow conditions
I did a try and buy last year and the Black Pearls were a very close second to the Volkl Kenjas that I bought and love. I'm similar in size to your daughter and to be honest the difference between them was marginal. I thought I found the Volkls marginally better for tight turns, but to be honest I may have imagined it and been swayed by the fact that they coincidentally match my favourite ski wear.

Lucky daughter if you buy her either of these Very Happy
latest report
@Scarlet, @HoneyBunny, @never summer, thanks for views on skis similar to the Black Pearl - all look like great options and I hope we will have the chance to get to a ski test at some point so she can have a go on each of them (though any final choice may well come down to price / availability).

Cheers.
ski holidays
You're welcome!

The Kenjas are a stiffer ski than the BPs, and worth demoing.
snow conditions
Hi All. Been reading through this thread and also reviews which all seem positive. But wonder if anyone can help. I want to buy my wife some good skis. She is quite advanced but prefers to stay on piste (unless very nice powder) so is probably 90% on piste.

I found the below deal which seems good but as I am not a skier (boarder) I am out of touch with ski technology so not sure how good the skis and bindings are together.

Also we tend to do about 4 trips per year so will get good use.

Any advice from skiers very welcome
Very Happy
ski holidays
Bennyboy1 wrote:
I found the below deal which seems good

Did you mean to post a link?
ski holidays
@Scarlet, yes sorry!

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/blizzard/black_pearl_nx_12_b90_blue-104653.html
snow report
@Bennyboy1, have you talked to your wife about them? Skis can be a very personal thing, so a demo would be best, but I accept that may not be possible. I would probably go for something a bit more piste orientated, though as stated above I'm not a Black Pearl fan.

Depending on her stats, something like these might work:
http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/volkl-chiara-ski-4motion-11-tc-binding-2016 or the next model up if you can get them.
Or these: https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/atomic-womens-vantage-x-77-c-skis--lithium-10-bindings-20162017/700618 Atomic make an 80mm version which might be better, if you can find a pair.

Also, if you're not sold on the bindings, Ellis Brigham are selling the BPs for £400 with more lengths available (may still not be cheapest, I just happened upon them).
snow report
Damnit, now I've ended up with another tab open, gazing at the Santa Anas. Again. rolling eyes
snow report
@Scarlet, thanks for your detailed response, very helpful. She has tried a number of skis over the last few years including the Black Pearl but they were an older model. She has always rented and as this is the first skis she will own, your advice on demo is of course right. Is it possible to demo in most resorts? I have always assumed the choice would be limited.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, My experience is that if you are buying a pair of skis in the resort they will expect you to demo them. My wife demoed two lengths of black pearl before chosing the ones she did.
ski holidays
@johnE, thank you. Helpful info. Santa maybe late this year in that case.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My other half is 5 nothing but has a slalom racer background and is a very strong skier. We ski 4 vallees a lot and quite often unpisted/off piste. She used to ski fine off piste but after getting her the Black Pearls (166 from memory) she reckoned I'd been cheating her as she said they made off piste easy. I got them for her after getting the equivalents but way too short for myself. Lots of feedback and ideal compromise between stiffness and flex. My favourite every day ski, just wish I'd got them longer.

Ask to demo with option to buy i.e. they knock cost of rental off purchase. Most shops will agree to that.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, If she prefers to stay on piste, the Blizzard Cheyennes would be a better bet than the Black Pearls.

http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/blizzard-cheyenne-2017

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/blizzard/cheyenne_squire_11_90mm_black_anthracite-104657.html

Have a look at the Rossingnol Temptation line as well, they are excellent piste skis. Also the Head Joy series.

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/rossignol/temptation_84_xpress_xpress_w_11_b93_white_blue-82845.html

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/head/absolut_joy_joy_9_ac_slr_b90_white_black-100373.html
latest report
@HoneyBunny, thank you this is really helpful.

I think I will take the advice and get her todemo in resort.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy