Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere, Hotel Ducs de Savoie - ski hire?

Poster: A snowHead
Where is the closest and/or best place to hire stuff for our children from to the Hotel Ducs de Savoi in Val d'Isere?

Many thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 21-10-16 7:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help with Val, but I would mention Val in the Title of the thread as there is a Ducs de Savoie in most tarentaise resorts Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chocksaway wrote:
Can't help with Val, but I would mention Val in the Title of the thread as there is a Ducs de Savoie in most tarentaise resorts Very Happy

Done and thanks, didn't realise.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Nicky,

Aren't you booking through Esprit? I had intended in using their rental gear for my son?

I know that Snowberry do a pick up service where they will come and collect you in one of their vehicles and then collect at the end of the week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RichClark, normally find it much cheaper to do it independently especially as we aren't renting for adults. A quick look shows it still as cheaper but not as much as previous years due to current euro against pound rates.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, I just called, Esprit. It looks like the Ski and Boot pack for kids is £62. Where as Sport2000 looks like is about £45 without hunting for any online discounts.

What week are you going? We'll be out there 9th-16th April.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The week after.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alpinresort has just sent through 60% off code, though tempted to wait in case exchange rate improve. They have several shops on offer but don't know lay out of town.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
....though tempted to wait in case exchange rate improve.

I wouldn't hold your breath. My hunch is that it may well get worse....I could be wrong, but for the rate to improve, either something dramatic will have to happen to cause the value of the Euro to fall; or there needs to be a softer line from T.May re Brexit.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow that's quite a difference, looking at the first on the list of shops (Ski Hire Precision Ski Val d'Isere Squaw Valley) My sons hire looks like it would be around £25.

I think that Gazza mentioned that Ducs se Savoie is behind the Le Savoie Hotel, that makes it about 10 mins walk at most to Precision Ski, Squaw Valley according to Google maps.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 21-10-16 13:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

I wouldn't hold your breath. My hunch is that it may well get worse....I could be wrong, but for the rate to improve, either something dramatic will have to happen to cause the value of the Euro to fall; or there needs to be a softer line from T.May re Brexit.

Likewise, given that the end of March is touted as the date to trigger Article 50, I'd expect some extra volatility in FX rates.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RichClark wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Likewise, given that the end of March is touted as the date to trigger Article 50, I'd expect some extra volatility in FX rates.

There is a view that Sterling could drop a further 6% against the Euro (and maybe 10% against the Dollar).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So is that one recommended? Sounds like it better to get on and book them
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, Can you share the code?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, I'm sure Stantonfreude will be along in a minute to confirm that.

@NickyJ, It would appear Le Grand Old Ducs de Savoie got about a bit!
ski holidays
RichClark wrote:
@NickyJ, Can you share the code?

News133
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
So is that one recommended? Sounds like it better to get on and book them

There is a very good free bus service there, so you should be able to get fairly close.

As for exchange rate, all you can do is go for the balance of probability. The value of the Pound is reacting to every little statement, news of the economy and the amount of uncertainty...all of which effect the whims of the currency traders. This isn't going to be resolved any time soon.
snow report
We've used La Poudrese next to the Casserole (opposite side of Av Olympique) but there are 10+ rental shops within 100m of your hotel and all will be virtually identical in price. The nearest big chain shop to you is Skimium, just across the road.
snow report
@NickyJ, I used the webchat to talk to a service agent at Alpinresort. She told me that Precision Ski Val d'Isere Iseran Gare Routiere is about 150m from Hotel Savoie . So if @Gaza is correct and Duc De Savoie is just behind the hotel Savoie, then this looks like a good option considering cost and proximity.
ski holidays
@RichClark, thanks!
snow report
@NickyJ, La Poudresse hire shop looks handy for the walking route between hotel and slopes. I think it is a Skimium outlet but best to check, as they change. I've always had good price and service from Skimium. They often have great discounts near the time of departure. If using Skimium, I wouldn't bother getting their extra ski rental insurance, as it didn't cover accidental ski damage.

Snowberry is an excellent rental shop, near the bus turning circle, a short slide from main central lift hub. Expensive in my experience.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
Where is the closest and/or best place to hire stuff for our children from to the Hotel Ducs de Savoi in Val d'Isere?

Have you considered ringing them up and asking?
latest report
@dogwatch, one could spend as much on the inetrnational phone call to negate any saving
snow report
valdinet website lists most if not all hire shops, with links to location maps, contact details, etc

https://www.valdinet.com/ski-hire/
ski holidays
Quote:

@NickyJ, La Poudresse hire shop looks handy

La Poudreuse is the one I meant.
latest report
@NickyJ, I just booked Precision Ski Val d'Isere Iseran Gare Routiere, it cost £0.90 to add change and cancellation to the hire.

If they're duff or a PITA to get to from Ducs, I can always let you know.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@dogwatch, one could spend as much on the inetrnational phone call to negate any saving

That's a weak excuse. It is not so hard to find service providers charging 1p per minute to call France.
snow report
@dogwatch, indeed ..probably. I would take advice on here or email...or just look at the valdinet website. In 5 seasons in Flachau I don't think I have had to phone anyone there, ever.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, there is a hire shop in the hotel savoie, as they are an inghams hotel also, you may be able to get hire in there if you didn't fancy the walk. The guy selling the ski tuning book was the resident guy, might be worth asking him if he can do direct hire, that being said as mentioned there are lots of shops within a 150m from the hotel either way.

We stayed in the hotel savoie last year with inghams if you want any other tips just shout.

Edit - its this guy who used to runs the ski hire shop in the hotel savoie.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124213
snow report
@dogwatch, it's as much about a recommendation as it is proximity.

The point of these boards is social interaction and advice. I expect that most answers could be found via google or an email/phone call to a potential supplier, buts it's hardly the same.
ski holidays
RichClark wrote:
@dogwatch, it's as much about a recommendation as it is proximity.

The point of these boards is social interaction and advice. I expect that most answers could be found via google or an email/phone call to a potential supplier, buts it's hardly the same.

Spot on. The point is asking for recommendation in the vicinity, I could see there are loads of places.
latest report
Esprit used the shop across the road both times we've been there so you might be best going there as all the gear could well get labelled etc with all the other Sprite stuff. Hmmm, think it might be closed / changed now as can't find it on the map...... sorry that was absolutely no help. Perhaps just call Esprit?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy