Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top snowboarder (with degree) says: we're not "dumb punks"

Poster: A snowHead
Justin Lamoureux, silver medallist at the 2005 World Snowboard Championships, objects to snowboarders being labelled "dumb punks" in this interview in The Vancouver Sun.
He has a mechanical engineering degree.
Asked which three people he'd like to have dinner with, he responded:
Quote:
"Leonardo da Vinci. Why? He was a forward-thinking guy. He thought of the helicopter in -- what was it? -- the 15th century. He thought of a lot of different things, plus he had his hand in a lot of different pots. I'm not super religious, but Jesus might have a couple of interesting things to say. And Kelly Slater. He's a seven-time world champion in surfing and I think he'd have a lot of insights into the competitive mind."

Who could disagree with that?
Do you agree that snowboarders aren't 'dumb punks'?
Have you got a mechanical engineering degree?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't have a mechanical engineering degree, but I'd like to know what he means by "Leonardo da Vinci ... had his hand in a lot of pots".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Abominable snowHead, have you never seen a Leonardo pot? regularly on sale in Petticoat Lane.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't say I have. Did Leonardo da Vinci invent the snowboard, by the way?
snow report
 brian
brian
I've got an Electronic and Electrical engineering degree.

Sorry, I know that's irrelevant but I couldn't find an equivalent google image Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Did Leonardo da Vinci invent the snowboard, by the way?

Wasn't it the Chinese?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tough crowd, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd have Bode Miller, Hannes Scheneider and Ann Robinson round for dinner. Who am I? NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarey? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
saxabar. Is the answer 'Delia Smith'?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Laughing

I've always figured Delia as a Marquis de Sade sort. What's on the table is another question...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Understanding Engineers - Take One

Two engineering students crossing the park when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?"

The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said,
"Take what you want."

The first engineer nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit."
_____

Understanding Engineers - Take Two

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
_____

Understanding Engineers - Take Three

A priest, a doctor and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers. The engineer fumed, "What's with these guys? We must have been waiting for 15 minutes!"

The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such ineptitude!"

The priest said, "Hey, here comes the greens keeper. Let's have a word with him." "Hi George! Say, what's with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?"

The greens keeper replied, "Oh, yes, that's a group of blind firefighters.
They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime."

The group was silent for a moment. The priest said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."

The doctor said, "Good idea. And I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist buddy and see if there's anything he can do for them."

The engineer said, "Why can't these guys play at night?"
_____

Understanding Engineers - Take Four

What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?

Mechanical Engineers build weapons and Civil Engineers build targets.
_____

Understanding Engineers - Take Five

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Engineers believe that "if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"
_____

Understanding Engineers - Take Six

An engineer was crossing a road one-day when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess."

He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will stay with you for one week."

The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you and do ANYTHING you want."

Again the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket. Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess, and that I'll stay with you for a week and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?"

The engineer said, "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog, now that's cool."
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very Funny especially Understanding Engineers three ( or maybe its my sick mind )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a skier with a Mechanical Engineering Degree...that boarder must be a top bloke Very Happy

The Abominable snowHead, Consider art, science, engineering, religion...as pots. Hence "...he had his hand in a lot of pots" wink

Lorraine, I think I've only heard the one about Civils and Mechs before now...he he. The others tar all "Engineers" with the same brush; some are more geeky than others...that's all I'm saying Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well as an engineer in a fomer life I can honestly say I've met all the types mentioned above!
snow report
Who is Leonardo da Vinci? Is he the guy from The Beach? Puzzled
snow conditions
I thought it was only boarders' fashion sense that was in question?

eng <ducks and runs>
snow report
Oisin Osh Kelly wrote:

Don't be stupid, he's that bloke on the Titanic.
latest report
DB wrote:
Oisin Osh Kelly wrote:

Don't be stupid, he's that bloke on the Titanic.

Be a bit hard for him to come around for Dinner then.. he drownded didn't he?

Bloody dumb ass boarders Mad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone who thinks that sitting in the middle of a narrow piste on a blind corner in heavy snow is clever, is a dumb punk, mechanical engineering degree, phd in astrophysics, krypton factor winner or not.
snow conditions
Maybe snowboarders should have mechanically-engineered benches at the sides of pistes to avoid this.
snow conditions
What's the difference between a Doctor and an Engineer ?

Doctor's only kill in ones. Shocked
ski holidays
David Goldsmith the activities of degree-holding and snowboarding may intersect in a singular person, but the intersection should not be taken as proof of a conclusion, in this case the implied conclusion that the said person has exercised intelligence (either in their degree-getting or in the snowboarding). Twisted Evil

If it is true that Justin Lamoureux believes the common perception is of "dumb snowboarders" then it's up to him and other snowboarders to act as if dumbness isn't inherent in snowboarders (not that I'm convinced his comments do that, or anything, but you get my point). Perception doesn't occur in a vaccuum.
ski holidays
Manda wrote:
David Goldsmith the activities of degree-holding and snowboarding may intersect in a singular person, but the intersection should not be taken as proof of a conclusion, in this case the implied conclusion that the said person has exercised intelligence (either in their degree-getting or in the snowboarding). Twisted Evil

If it is true that Justin Lamoureux believes the common perception is of "dumb snowboarders" then it's up to him and other snowboarders to act as if dumbness isn't inherent in snowboarders (not that I'm convinced his comments do that, or anything, but you get my point). Perception doesn't occur in a vaccuum.

Yeah.. so there ... i think?
latest report
magriggs wrote:
Anyone who thinks that sitting in the middle of a narrow piste on a blind corner in heavy snow is clever, is a dumb punk, mechanical engineering degree, phd in astrophysics, krypton factor winner or not.

Yawn...

(keep repeating to self)

I will not take the bait ... I will not take the bait
latest report
The question of whether it's dumb or not to ride a single deck - or whether to use the legs independently - arises in three areas of sport (that I can think of):

1. Surfing -v- water-skiing. The inventors of water skis are so thick they've not even invented ones that go downhill. So there's no contest there at all. Surfing is (perhaps like climbing) on a spiritual plane.

2. Skateboarding -v- skating (roller or in-line). Here the competition is tight, hard to resolve. As the former technical editor of Skateboard! magazine you clearly wouldn't want to label me a 'dumb punk', but it's got me thinking. Should I have been writing for skaters? (they were hugely outnumbered in the late 1970s, when skateboarding ballooned).

3. Skiing -v- snowboarding. The former has a history of 4500 years (or 10,000 to 20,000 years if the new Chinese archaelogical claims are correct). The latter has a history of 30 years. How long is it reasonable to expect the jury to be out?
snow report
David Goldsmith, "use legs independently"? This paints an interesting picture of Week 1 paunched skiiers. Surely us boarders are a product of streamlined evolution? Do we have any textile pro's who can comment on the state of dye 10,000 to 20,000 yrs ago? Not all things have advanced. Perhaps they saved the pigments for the caves?
latest report
In general, it would be true to say that the Dumb Punks label will come from the perception that snowboarders are young people, often teenagers. In which case, we all know that if not dumb then they ( teenagers ) are at least naive, inexperienced, not worldly wise, lacking in wisdom, lack respect for elders, etc. etc. And this would apply equally to skiers, boarders or the lowest of the low, snowbladers Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mind you, I have some 30-something snowboard pals who seem to lose it when they strap a board to their feet - but then it would be the same if they put ski's on !
ski holidays
There’s a very valid reason why people with engineering degrees do snowboarding. As you know engineers are all very practical people and we understand the advantages of one board over 2 skis, this comes down to the ouch that hurt factor, on a snowboard you can fall on your knees, face, or back bottom, all of which are much better than one ski going left, one going right and the general groinal area being stretched in a totally unnatural way.

Also there's no such thing as a civil engineer, were all vulgar and abusive:-D

(Ps I'm a guitar amp designer with an electronics degree who snowboards just in case I didn't make it obvious enough)
snow report
By the way, most people know Leonardo was a genius at painting , drawing, sculpture, architecture, anatomy, scientific observation and mechanical invention, but he was also a very good poet, included in most Italian anthologies.
ski holidays
snowball,
Quote:

By the way, most people know Leonardo was a genius at painting , drawing, sculpture, architecture, anatomy, scientific observation and mechanical invention, but he was also a very good poet, included in most Italian anthologies.

but did he SKI or SNOWBOARD?????
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy