Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots: Outdoor Traders or Solutions 4 Feet

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there,

I'm in the market for some ski boots as I generally find that hire boots are really tight on my calves. Does anyone have experience / a recommendation for which of Outdoor Traders or Solutions 4 Feet are best? They're both location wise about an hour away but not sure which is best for me to visit.

Thanks in advance!

B
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Solutions 4 feet the best, hands down. Wouldn't consider anyone else touching my feet
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Solutions 4 Feet. Highly recommended.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Solutions 4 Feet and ProFeet are the two most respected boot fitters on this site. Make an appointment with Colin and Solutions 4 Feet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Solutions 4 feet. If they can't find you something that fits, they send you away (very nicely) to somewhere who can.

But get booked in.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Solutions 4 Feet and ProFeet are the two most respected boot fitters on this site

Puzzled Puzzled really? Solutions 4 Feet absolutely for sure and but I'd have thought the others were the good folks at SOLE in Chamonix. Just my perception, mind...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never been to Outdoor Traders, but have bought twice from Solutions 4 Feet. Have also bought from Sole. S4F is top class.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Solutions 4 Feet and ProFeet are the two most respected boot fitters on this site

Puzzled Puzzled really? Solutions 4 Feet absolutely for sure and but I'd have thought the others were the good folks at SOLE in Chamonix. Just my perception, mind...

In fairness, your assuming the OP would be going to Cham. Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, hardly anyone mentions SOLE. Lots of people recommend profeet. I only use profeet but would also use SOLE if I were in Chamonix
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PaulC1984, actually I wasn't, I just am of the opinion that the respect of fitters on SHs are for Colin and the SOLE team.

If you do an all dates search, "sole" gets >3,200 posts and Profeet just over 1,000. QED*

*This does not account for use of the word "sole" in the anatomical sense, as opposed to the retail... Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Booked with Sole for The first week of Jan ona way to Champoluc (my bro it is, not me but I will there too) so would be able to report later of how it went Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, Ah fair comment, misunderstood you Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Outdoor Traders are brilliant. They are one of the places Colin sends people if he didn't have the right boots.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have recommended a good many people to Colin at www.Solutions4feet.co.uk at Bicester. All have come back to thank me for the recommendation and have themselves gone on to recommend Colin to their friends.
Hence making an appointment well in advance is so important

PS. I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone. I called up and Sole had an appointment with Andy - should I go for that now or wait longer for Colin? Happy to wait if it's worth the extra expertise.

Thanks!
latest report
@foxcote90, You called SOLE and got an appointment with Andy, who's he? If you must buy in the UK, there is only one person to see in our opinion, that's Colin at S4F, we believe however, and only because we've worked both off site and in resort that you'd be better served in resort, over the years we've gambled much more often on tighter fitting boots and feel that the outcome after many years is more consistent. It is only our opinion, i'd love nothing more than to work out of the asylum that is CHX, but honestly not sure i could do the job with constantly the same results.
There are many factors to consider, both positive and negative for both.
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, @under a new name, Apologies I may be going back a bit but in terms of UK boot fitters they were both well regarded from what I picked up. Things change and I may be wrong.

@foxcote90, I suspect you called Solutions 4 Feet and Andy works with Colin there I believe from what others have said.
ski holidays
Kamikaze Pete wrote:

@foxcote90, I suspect you called Solutions 4 Feet and Andy works with Colin there I believe from what others have said.

There definitely is an Andy at Solutions 4 Feet. He made an adjustment to my boots for me.
ski holidays
@mooney058,

Just a thought - as @CH2O, says, the guys at SOLE like to fit very snug and accept that this often means additional mods after the boots have been skied. If I were you, I'd budget for a day and an extra night in Chamonix to test ski the boots and go back to SOLE if mods are required (which may need them to have the boots overnight). Worth the investment IMO.
snow conditions
@foxcote90, Solutions for feet, Colin and his crew are excellent.
latest report
Must put in a good word for James at Outdoor Traders. I have very bony ankles and thin shins and struggled for years trying to find a good fitting boot. No problems for the last 5 years! It took some while to sort my problems but well worth the time. Very Happy
ski holidays
@mooney058, as was discussed at the time, you may have to make the trip back during the week for adjustments. Upside is a far, far better fit than you will find in many places, that will last better for longer.

I have no idea on CEM's style but he is definitely well regarded.

Outdoor traders certainly talk a good game on the website and unusually stock Daleboots.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
@mooney058,

Just a thought - as @CH2O, says, the guys at SOLE like to fit very snug and accept that this often means additional mods after the boots have been skied. If I were you, I'd budget for a day and an extra night in Chamonix to test ski the boots and go back to SOLE if mods are required (which may need them to have the boots overnight). Worth the investment IMO.

I believe CH20 = SOLE ⛷😀
And if need be for any mods we could drive back from Champoluc to Chamonix. This is of course only if needed and subject to SOLE's availability. We will jusr see on the spot and follow their advice.
snow report
I went to Solutions for Feet and got sent by them to Outdoor Traders to see James. They wouldn't even consider trying to fit me in a boot, due to my lack of flexibility and therefore made me go to James to get some Dale boots made.
I also went to SOLE in Chamonix to get Snowboard boots fitted.
The upshot is I would recommend all 3, as both my ski and snowboard boots have been perfect.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@PaulC1984, actually I wasn't, I just am of the opinion that the respect of fitters on SHs are for Colin and the SOLE team.

If you do an all dates search, "sole" gets >3,200 posts and Profeet just over 1,000. QED*

*This does not account for use of the word "sole" in the anatomical sense, as opposed to the retail... Happy

1. Yes I am REALLY bored at work today and the following is just to amuse myself.
2. Looking at the results searching for "sole boot" gives 878 posts but from the 22 on the first screen only 5 appear to reference the company SOLE, as opposed to the bottom part of a boot. Almost all of the 22 (out of 215) first page results for "profeet boot" seem to be about boot fitting and the company ProFeet.
snow conditions
Thanks guys. You can tell I wasn't awake properly when I posted earlier - I meant that I'd booked an appointment with Solutions 4 Feet, not SOLE. More coffee required I think!
snow conditions
Funny thread! Laughing I've had excellent service at S4F and (prior to that) at Profeet. I can't speak for CH20/Sole (one and the same) as I've not been to Chamonix for some while.
snow conditions
@foxcote90, Colin is da man. He will examine your feet, legs and stance etc., and then ask you all about your skiing and what you are hoping to accomplish etc.

Then he will pull a pair of boots out and tell you these are the boots you need. Don't argue with him or tell him you don't like the colour, or he may be minded to throw you out Very Happy

He and Andy have helped me no end, and I have recommended him to numerous people.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeDaSp, +1 in every detail! Laughing
snow conditions
PeDaSp wrote:
@foxcote90, Colin is da man. He will examine your feet, legs and stance etc., and then ask you all about your skiing and what you are hoping to accomplish etc.

Then he will pull a pair of boots out and tell you these are the boots you need. Don't argue with him or tell him you don't like the colour, or he may be minded to throw you out Very Happy

He and Andy have helped me no end, and I have recommended him to numerous people.

Which is absolutely identical to the approach James at Outdoor Traders takes Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Solutions 4 Feet. I am a Bicester resident so quite lucky , but i would of traveled a long way for the service . I have been skiing in snow slippers ever since.

Also there is a cracking sandwich shop around the corner "Chol's" ask for the chinese chicken and your life will change for the better.

Cool Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

I believe CH20 = SOLE ⛷😀

Yes I know Very Happy
I got my boots fitted by their previous incarnation. Snug as a snug thing. Still are 10 years later! At the time they told me that they expected to have to do extra work on 40% of the boots they sold. That may have changed but it is why I suggested that you budget for going back.
I couldn't have skied in mine without the follow up stretches.
ski holidays
BTW - just to be clear, I do a lot of my skiing in touring boots these days but if/when I replace my alpine boots I would likely drive around to SOLE from Les C.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy