Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere 2020

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me which of the sestriere runs and lifts are currently closed. The death earlier this year of the young girl has meant some of been poo-poo all year but I can’t seem to work out which ones they are and what the effect has had for sestriere

Thanks
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sestriere opens its ski resort from Dec 7, 2019.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see that snow-making has been taking place, as well as the good recent falls of the real stuff:
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots more snow expected this weekend too....

The accident last year happened at the top of Mt Fraiteve. It’s the top of the mountain which is shared by Sestriere and Sauze - basically no effect on the Sestriere area, but affects Sauze’s area. I can’t recall the piste colour, but it was a section at the top with wind breaks either side and the poor child crashed into a wind break. I don’t know if that section will be open or if some mitigation has been put in place. However, last year we used the diversions and it was fine, but I think beginners did not have a great option to navigate around it. I will see if I can find out the position and report back.

When Sestriere Spa (lift company) did their commercial presentation earlier in the month, I don’t recall the issue being mentioned. They did mention a number of new lifts going in over the next year or two though ..... that would be great as there some areas that are under-exploited.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James from Sauze online put on his FB page that the Blue from the top of Mt Fraiteve back to Sauze will be open again this year, I always find the blacks are easier than that section of blue. It would be much easier for nervous skiers if they put some sort of barrier on the edge of the blue, not sure if that is possible?
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jim,

Yes, I must say the blacks are (as far as I can remember) about as easy as it gets, but the blue is quite exposed and beginners must feel as if they are going to ski over the edge (even though that’s not a real risk). Some of the netting down either side for 100m would make it feel safer, especially in low vis or high wind.

Having said all that, there are lots of runs all over the Alps that look, or are, much worse. I think it’s just that most runs in Via Lattea lack that sense of, “oh ****, if I go off here it’s curtains” so this run feels slightly out of keeping.

I’m glad it’s open again, and I notice on the webcams that the area at the top of Fraiteve has been enlarged to reduce crowding. Hopefully, that is indicative of them improving that whole transit area at the summit of Fraiteve.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.vialattea.it/Multimedia/Web-Cam

The Retour d’est is doing it’s thing - heavy snow even down in Trebials Valle which is only about 1500m. 1 to 1.5m of new snow due on top of last weeks snow.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, the snow on top of the lift canopy has doubled over the weekend.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mmmmm road trip Tuesday me thinks Cool

That said will be driving through Oulx and Cesana tomorrow back from Val Thorens
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Sestriere Facebook page shows some great depth (as does the Prali FB page). I think Prali were saying they had 80/90cm yesterday, so presumably a bit more by today.

What a great start to the season!
latest report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy